The Glasgow Connection

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

The Glasgow Connection

Postby Matthew Field » January 6th, 2019, 7:20 am

I don’t often recommend DVDs, but here’s one for serious card aficionados that’ll keep you busy.

It’s “The Glasgow Connection” by Eddie McColl, containing 9 effects using moves like the Push-Through Shuffle and lots more, plus thorough explanations of the moves used. One of the effects, No Rollover Aces, is a straightforward variation of the trick popularized by Derek Dingle, and it’s a killer.

Eddie is one of the finest card handlers I have ever seen, and one person who agrees is the legendary Roy Walton, who introduces the video. Eddie does his magic slowly and deliberately, which makes everything just seem all the more impossible.

The DVD is available from Russ Stevens’ RSVP Magic, and seems to have been shot with no set in Russ’s home with his wife and daughter as assisting spectators. The production is simple, but sufficient, and Russ’s camerawork and editing are superb as usual.

The explanation of the Push-Through Shuffle is the very best I have ever seen. Put in the work and you’ll have an amazing tool you can use in all your card work.

Eddie is a student of the great Gordon Bruce. He’s learned well.

This has my highest recommendation.

It’s available from RSVP Magic, [url] http://www.rsvpmagic.com [\url] and dealers such as Vanishing Inc, [url] http://www.vanishingincmagic.com [\url] .

performer

Re: The Glasgow Connection

Postby performer » January 6th, 2019, 9:01 am

Bobby Bernard used to call the Glasgow card magicians "The Scottish Mafia". I suppose I should really be among them since I actually come from Glasgow too!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 6th, 2019, 11:36 am

According to Wikipedia, the term, "Scottish Mafia," was also "used in politics to pejoratively refer to a group of Scottish Labour Party politicians and broadcasters who are believed to have had undue influence over the governance of England, such as the constitutional arrangement allowing Scottish MPs [Members of Parliament] to vote on English matters..."

It is amusing to think that the term, "Scottish Mafia," as applied to the Scottish card magicians to whom Performer referred, might suggest that, upon completion of a set of card magic in a restaurant or pub, the magician made the spectators an "offer they couldn't refuse." This would surely provide ample incentive for the spectators to break with tradition and pony up a handsome gratuity, as I remember Performer pointing out, sometime back, that tipping is not customary in the British Isles, or something to that effect. In all seriousness though, in the many years I have performed in restaurants and bars, not once have I ever solicited a tip, either directly or indirectly. It always struck me as an unseemly thing to do...

performer

Postby performer » January 6th, 2019, 1:32 pm

When I lived in the UK I justified my reluctance to leave tips by saying, "When I sell svengali decks nobody leaves me a tip". However, to my astonishment when I came to Canada I found that people DID leave me a tip when I sold the cards. At first I hated it and felt like a beggar. I used to try and give them some merchandise to justify it and couldn't understand it when they refused. They just wanted to give me money for the entertainment.

At first I used to refuse the tips but after a time I began to notice that the tips were quite large so I thought, "what the heck! If they want to tip me for trying to rip them off with sub standard merchandise who am I to argue?"

As for the Scottish Mafia I am fairly sure it evolved because of the influence of Roy Walton (ironically an Englishman) who operated (I am not sure if he still does) from Tam Shepherd's magic shop in Glasgow. I believe his presence in Glasgow had a lot to do with the myriad of sleight of hand card magicians in the city.

Bobby Bernard called them "The Scottish Mafia". I am not sure if anyone else did.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 6th, 2019, 1:42 pm

PERFORMER WROTE: "At first I used to refuse the tips but after a time I began to notice that the tips were quite large so I thought, 'what the heck! If they want to tip me for trying to rip them off with sub standard merchandise who am I to argue?'"

I think it provides evidence for the theory that it is not so much the props but the presentational abilities of the magician that counts most in terms of impressing and entertaining laymen. The tips were an expression of appreciation for the entertainment they received, which they obviously valued. Something of value was given to them, and they wanted to reciprocate in a tangible way - and since they could not offer magical skills and by and large were not entertainers, money was a viable way for them to do so. The corollary to my own policy to never solicit tips is never to refuse them either.

performer

Postby performer » January 6th, 2019, 2:22 pm

All I can tell you is that after thousands upon thousands upon thousands of demonstrations in the UK, Ireland and even Holland not a single person every offered me a tip. And possibly millions of people have seen me work over the decades. It just wouldn't have occurred to them. They would certainly purchase merchandise but never give me money for entertaining them. In Canada it happens all the time.

Oddly enough I remember in the UK if I entertained them too much it would work against me. Not only would they not tip it would be bad for sales. They would just hang around for a free show. I would sometimes try to make them laugh for the sake of my own sanity but it would be very bad for business. It works differently over here. The more they laugh the more they buy. In the UK very often the more they laugh the less they will buy. Possibly that is where the old grafting line comes from, "Don't laugh. Just throw money instead!"

In both parts of the world a magic pitchman has to be very alert they don't laugh too much because it can disperse the crowd if you are not careful. They can sort of view it as the end and use it as an excuse to escape. Sometimes I have to step in quick and say something to hold them a bit longer.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 6th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I can't help but wonder why there is such a dichotomy between people in Britain and Holland, on one hand, and Canadians, on the other. Why would one country's citizens be so demonstrably generous and the other - well - so cheap? I don't think it is a matter of ethnicity or DNA ,given that many people in Canada are of British descent. And tipping is common and customary in the U.S., as well, with many Americans being of English and other Northern European ancestry. It would appear to be something cultural or societal. But what accounts for those differences, I have no idea. Could be good grist for a Sociology study or thesis.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 6th, 2019, 3:05 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I can't help but wonder why there is such a dichotomy between people in Britain and Holland, on one hand, and Canadians, on the other. .. It would appear to be something cultural or societal. But what accounts for those differences, I have no idea. Could be good grist for a Sociology study or thesis.

I think that is correct. For example: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... -in-europe

For me, it seems just another example of how good manners are expressed differently in different cultures.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 6th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Back on point: Thank you, Matt for the plug. Mr. McColl's push-through really looks good and I'm going to acquire a copy.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 6th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Thank you, Matt - it looks fantastic. Ordered, and looking forward to it.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

performer

Postby performer » January 6th, 2019, 4:30 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I can't help but wonder why there is such a dichotomy between people in Britain and Holland, on one hand, and Canadians, on the other. Why would one country's citizens be so demonstrably generous and the other - well - so cheap? I don't think it is a matter of ethnicity or DNA ,given that many people in Canada are of British descent. And tipping is common and customary in the U.S., as well, with many Americans being of English and other Northern European ancestry. It would appear to be something cultural or societal. But what accounts for those differences, I have no idea. Could be good grist for a Sociology study or thesis.

I found the Dutch to be terrific reactors to the magic and would indeed buy if you made them laugh. But not much. Really awful spenders in general. And tipping was unheard of! I have worked the svengali deck a little in the USA and I suspect they would react in exactly the same way as Canadians with regard to tipping a magic pitchman. I can't say for sure since I didn't work long enough in the US to find out. Even in Canada it only works once or twice a day. Sometimes not at all. And never when I work a department store.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 6th, 2019, 4:46 pm

For the record; while those of us north of the border are aware of the name 'Scottish Mafia', I'm not aware of anyone using it to describe the group from within.

Roy's influence is undoubtedly the catalyst to the high calibre of card magic that grew from Glasgow in the 70s and 80s. In much the same way that Vernon inspired the locals in LA, and Tamariz does in Spain, the melting pot of ideas was extremely productive.

There have been several distinct generations of magicians that congregated around Roy's over the years. Sadly, Roy isn't in the shop as much these days, and the almost permanent presence of three or four people standing at the end of the counter is a thing of the past. However, his legacy will always be guarded by those of us who got to stand there.

Eddie McColl
Favorite Magician: Roy Walton, Godon Bruce , Vernon , Marlo

Postby Eddie McColl » January 6th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Thanks for the review Matt. Roy is still in the shop and I am very proud that he agreed to be involved and provide me with an introduction. Roy can still do amazing sleight of hand and his false deals are impeccable. Thank you Roy.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 6th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Glasgow rules, O.K.?

performer

Postby performer » January 6th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:For the record; while those of us north of the border are aware of the name 'Scottish Mafia', I'm not aware of anyone using it to describe the group from within. .

Perhaps it should be called the Walton Mafia...................

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » January 7th, 2019, 6:26 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Why would one country's citizens be so demonstrably generous and the other - well - so cheap?

Sometimes it's simply "the rules". Decades ago, one tipped in Belgium. I distinctly remember offering to pay for something and my aunt (who is Belgian) being horrified that I only tipped about 15%. I ended up tipping about 25% on that occasion.

And then on one visit (maybe 30 years ago), in a café en route to Brussels the bill didn't have the usual service-not-included comment. So I enquired in French whether service was included, and they were bemused. Because several years earlier the law had changed and in all restaurants and cafés service was now included. And nobody asked whether it was included, nobody tipped, it was just how it was.

Nothing to do with generosity or it's lack.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 7th, 2019, 8:10 am

But would rules account for why Performer, when performing his Svengali routine, was never tipped in the British Isles, yet frequently tipped in Canada?

AJM

Postby AJM » January 7th, 2019, 8:56 am

Possibly because the Brits thought he was rubbish...

Anyways, back to the DVD - I’ve ordered a copy.

Toodle-pip

Andrew

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » January 7th, 2019, 11:12 am

Peter Duffie has the lowdown and as much background on the Scottish Mafia as anyone would like to know. Whether he feels like publishing it on open forum, is another matter. in fact he may already have done so. Going on what Peter has told me it was all good fun.

And as far as I can recall, Bobby Bernard was the "originator" of the term as applied here.

Howsabout it Peter?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 7th, 2019, 1:37 pm

I actually LOVE the tipping culture. I have it to thank for many dinners, decks of cards, magic books, paid electric bills, etc. etc.

Eddie McColl

Postby Eddie McColl » January 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Thanks to everyone who purchased my DVD, I really appreciate all the support and positive comments.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 8th, 2019, 8:36 am

Cleanest Push-through shuffle I've seen - and a very engaging manner.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 8th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Eddie:

Unfortunately your DVD discussion has been hijacked: my apologies for anything I may have done that has encouraged this. I thought perhaps a gentle reminder would have this person stay on topic. No such luck. I've been the subject of personal attacks from him for years and he keeps it up. Let's not feed the bully, let's buy one of Eddie's DVDs.

Eddie McColl

Postby Eddie McColl » January 8th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Hi Mr Farmer
No problem at all. I beleive the last time you were in Glasgow you met up with Gordon, i should have been there unfortunately i had to look after my 94 year old mother .
I am travelling to the states in May , ill be visiting Dallas , then Vegas and LA to visit the castle, it would be good to meet you if possible.

Best

Ed

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 8th, 2019, 6:22 pm

I've banned Mark for six months. Tired of his nonsense.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 8th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Hi Ed:

Yes, my wife and I had a wonderful time with Gordon. He took us to this very cool bar/restaurant. Please convey my best wishes to him (as far as I know, he still doesn't do email).

I'll be nowhere near where you'll be in May--I live several thousand miles away in Canada in the Thousand Islands.

Looking forward to your DVD.

Eddie McColl

Postby Eddie McColl » January 9th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Sorry Mr Farmer I wasn't aware that you lived in Canada. Have you ever attended the 52 Get Together in Buffalo , its great and a few guys travel from Canada.

Best

Ed

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 9th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Ed:

Only the police refer to me as, "Mister Farmer," as in, "Mister Farmer, please step out of the car and place your hands on the hood." "Bob" is fine.

I've never been to the 52 Getogether--my non-magic schedule always seems to get in the way.

Eddie McColl

Postby Eddie McColl » January 10th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Ok Bob , maybe see you one day at the 52.

Return to “Buzz”