David Berglas MBE

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Max Maven

David Berglas MBE

Postby Max Maven » December 28th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Congratulations to David Berglas on being made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for services to Magic and Psychology. One of Britain’s true treasures, and an inspiration to me for over half a century.

performer

Re: David Berglas MBE

Postby performer » December 28th, 2018, 9:54 pm

David spent an evening coaching me on magic at the home of Greville Janner (later to be Lord Janner) when I was a teenager. He didn't know who either I or Greville was at the time. He just did it at Greville's request to help and encourage a young magician.

I remember the evening vividly particularly the stunning trick you never hear him talk about. And I found out a few years ago that he still does it! The light in the room suddenly flickered and went out. I thought it was some kind of power failure. He said, "Don't worry--I can fix that!" He started feeling with both hands all over the wall. I assumed he had some electrical background and knew about power outages and suchlike things. I had no idea he was doing a trick. Suddenly he fixated his attention on one part of the wall, raised his right hand and slapped that part of the wall very loudly. And bang!--The light came on again!

I have seen David do many other illusions since. I still think this light thing was the greatest thing I ever saw him do. And the other masterpiece is his cigarette routine which I saw him do in a vast theatre (I think the Victoria Palace). I still half do this trick to this day. Oddly enough the best reaction I ever got with it was at a children's show but that is another story for another day!

I have always admired David and I still remember to this day his instruction on vanishing a billiard ball (or in fact vanishing anything). He told me only to move one hand then the other. Never both hands at the same time. I still follow this policy nearly 60 years after learning it.

CraigMitchell

Re: David Berglas MBE

Postby CraigMitchell » December 29th, 2018, 2:55 am

An incredible accomplishment and honour! What a fitting tribute to the international man of mystery.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nours-list

Return to “Buzz”