What did you receive for the holidays?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

What did you receive for the holidays?

Postby erdnasephile » December 27th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Santa brought me the Dani da Ortiz DVD set, Here and Now. Haven't cracked it open yet, but it looks cool.

What'd you get?

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: What did you receive for the holidays?

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 28th, 2018, 8:04 am

I received some custom playing cards from two different people at a Christmas brunch - truly works of art. Since I was requested to do some magic, it was the perfect opportunity to open up one the decks (after scrupulously washing my hands) and to perform some card tricks free from any cloud of suspicion as to "trick cards."

Interestingly, another guest had received a beautiful deck of tarot cards and she was showing them off. After she had placed the cards on the table and no one was paying attention, I picked up her deck and started looking at the cards. I went into the bathroom and wrote a prediction of one of the cards on back of my business card. It was the "Ace of Earth," and when I returned, I stuck my business card in the little booklet that came with the Tarot deck, right at the page that featured a description of the Ace of Earth, closed the booklet and placed it inside the box the cards came in. Somehow I managed to do this without detection while everyone was talking and distracted. I positioned the Ace of Earth (which had a painting of a deer on it - perfect for Christmas) where I needed it. Then asked if I could try a little experiment with the Tarot cards. After some false cuts, I forced the Ace of Earth on the owner of the cards, and when I asked her to turn the card over, I exclaimed that it was incredible, because this was "precisely the card I had predicted in my mind." This brought hearty laughter from the company. Then, of course, I asked her to open the box and look in the booklet....

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 28th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Great story Alfred! You could have also picked The Two Lovers card. When she turns it over as her free? selection, you ask: Us?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » December 28th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:Great story Alfred! You could have also picked The Two Lovers card. When she turns it over as her free? selection, you ask: Us?

If memory serves it worked for James Bond with a one way deck in Live and Let Die.....

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:Great story Alfred! You could have also picked The Two Lovers card. When she turns it over as her free? selection, you ask: Us?

Thanx Leonard. Yes, what you suggested would have been perfect but for the fact that my girlfriend (who was not the Tarot owner) was present...

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 28th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Santa brought Game Changer by Jason Ladanye, which is a beautiful book, but the best present was the self-purchased Deluxe Deland book which arrived on Christmas Eve.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 28th, 2018, 3:38 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:

Thanx Leonard. Yes, what you suggested would have been perfect but for the fact that my girlfriend (who was not the Tarot owner) was present...

That does present a problem, Alfred.

Yes Joe, that came straight out of Live and Let Die.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 28th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Joe Lyons wrote:Santa brought Game Changer by Jason Ladanye, which is a beautiful book, but the best present was the self-purchased Deluxe Deland book which arrived on Christmas Eve.

Yep...those presents are often the most fun! ;)
(My "From Me...to Me" gift this year was the Ousterling box set)

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 29th, 2018, 2:35 am

For Christmas I was given tickets to The World of Illusion magic show at the Savannah
Theatre.

The Savannah Theatre is a wonderful venue, having been in continuous operation since 1812.
It's on Chippewa Square, which was the location for this famous movie scene.

About six steps away from the where the Forrest Gump bench used to be is The Gallery Espresso, one of my favorite places on earth.

I spend about 8 hours playing chess there every Sunday.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 31st, 2018, 9:49 am

What a perfect way/place to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Return to “Buzz”