Penn Interview on Vulture

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Penn Interview on Vulture

Postby erdnasephile » August 14th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Penn Interview on Vulture

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 14th, 2018, 8:37 pm

This is a great quote, and not something I've seen discussed before.

"What does it say about magic that the two most famous magicians in the country are David Blaine and David Copperfield?"

"Penn: First of all, magic is hard and David Blaine and David Copperfield are good at what they do. But magic is also a strong intellectual thing that people don’t see as intellectual, and it’s weird that David Copperfield never addresses that. In his act he goes into “let’s talk about dreams; let’s talk about fantasies” as if he had magical powers. David Blaine does the exact opposite. He wants to present everything as though it were real and not a trick. That’s strange to me morally. I don’t agree with wanting people to leave your show believing something that’s not true. But the fact that David Blaine and David Copperfield are both called the same thing — a magician — when they’re doing the opposite work is something you don’t see in other art forms. That’s the funny thing their success says about magic: Copperfield is going this is totally a fantasy and David Blaine is going this is totally real and yet they have the same job."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 14th, 2018, 9:51 pm

This was just great. When I got to the end it occurred to me that I've never read an entire interview in online form before.

Good stuff.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » August 14th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Penn’s Sunday School is his podcast if you don’t know about it your missing out. Tons of funny stuff. He doesn’t know it but he’s my hero. Inspired my to lose 50 pounds and keep it off, always has great book recommendations and he’s brutally honest about everything. Worth a listen for sure.

Peace, Joe

Return to “Buzz”