The August 2018 Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and On Its Way to Your Mailbox

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The August 2018 Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and On Its Way to Your Mailbox

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

This month’s Genii cover story tackles a tricky topic: performance art. Here we are contemplating “A.Bandit,” a duo consisting of Derek DelGaudio and Glenn Kaino. Their works of performance art often involve magic in ways both direct and peripheral. Glenn is a well-known fine artist; Derek is a well-known fine magician. Together they do interesting things. They have created a book that is in itself, in the reading of it, a piece of performance art and the title is A Secret Has Two Faces. From the book we have, following my introduction, excerpted interviews with David Blaine, Teller, and DelGaudio and Kaino along with samples of A.Bandit’s works (the most familiar of which is the show In & Of Itself).

In addition we have columns of magic from Jeff Prace, Jim Steinmeyer, Jonathan Neil, Jonathan Pendragon, Kainoa Harbottle, and Roberto Mansilla and reviews of books, tricks, and videos abound in the back of the book. Videos from Jeff Prace, Jonathan Neil, myself, and Jeff Sheridan appear, as well as audio columns from Jon Racherbaumer and John Lovick.

We are 50% sold for the 2019 Genii Convention: don’t hesitate, register today and book your hotel room at http://www.geniiconvention.com.

You can subscribe to Genii for as little as $35 and have access to all 81 years of Genii and all 25 years of MAGIC. http://www.geniimagazine.com.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jack Shalom

Re: The August 2018 Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and On Its Way to Your Mailbox

Postby Jack Shalom » July 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Already in my mail box in Brooklyn today.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: The August 2018 Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and On Its Way to Your Mailbox

Postby Steve Bryant » July 26th, 2018, 10:30 am

The new issue contains a fine routine, Easy Poker, by David Britland. I like the use of the DF card and the strong plot. There is, I think, an even stronger version of the trick in Nick Trost's Subtle Card Creations Volume 5, Nu-Way Intuitive Poker. The Trost version begins with a spectator-shuffled deck, and no gaffed cards are necessary. (The Trost write-up cites antecedents by Paul Cummins and J.k. Hartman.)

The Trost series from H&R, six volumes so far, is a gold mine of great, easy card magic.

Return to “Buzz”