FISM 2018 - Final thoughts

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

FISM 2018 - Final thoughts

Postby CraigMitchell » July 15th, 2018, 12:43 am

FINAL FISM 2018 THOUGHTS

How is FISM history going to consider Korea 2018 ?

Very very well.

Casa and his amazing team of staff pulled of a fantastic event ( and even more miraculous when you consider that all of this was accomplished in 6 months after picking up the pieces from the prior organizers ) Thank you!

Logistics wise everything ran pretty much smoothly, talent and tech was top notch and we had two of the strongest FISM stage gala shows in a long time. When things just “work” we hardly notice them - but must never be taken for granted. There is an army of people behind the scenes making the magic happen. Amongst them are Gay Ljungberg and his contest team who accomplish miracles year after year (few realize that prepping tech for a FISM stage contest is close on two months of full time work!) and then the juries who have the unenviable task of deciding on the impossible.

In terms of the contests, close up was particularly strong this year with a whole new trend towards visual CGI-like eye candy. Worrisome though is the general decline in contestant numbers and the continuing decline of the overall performance of the USA. When the “FISM North America champions” are hovering in the low 50s then there is something inherently wrong.

Overall I was impressed and had a great time. As always - the people at the event make FISM so special. There is a sense of family ( even if they don’t like sports scores :-)

The biggest take home from FISM Korea was undoubtedly the genuine sense of love, respect and care for magic, FISM and the 2000+ guests who had travelled from around the world to Busan. This truly makes all the difference and was sorely lacking from past events.

Bravo FISM Korea! Quebec - you have a strong act to follow ... see you in 2021!

P.s. if you have any inkling of wanting to attend FISM Canada ( and you really should ) do so now! They are already on close to 500 registrants and are guaranteed to sell out ( talk is already under way to possibly cap numbers to ensure the best experience for everyone ) You get the Lowest price possible, best theatre seats and there’s a full cancellation policy. Judging from the bid book, presentation and talking to the Canadian team I think we are in for a special treat in Quebec.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: FISM 2018 - Final thoughts

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 15th, 2018, 2:33 am

As always, thanks, Craig, for your reports. We truly appreciate them!
Dustin

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 15th, 2018, 4:59 am

Thanks Dustin!

I hope you’ll come join in the FISM fun in Quebec!

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » July 16th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks for your reports, Craig! I always enjoy them.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 16th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that Dustin will be at FISM in Quebec.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”