FISM 2018 - Day Two

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

FISM 2018 - Day Two

Postby CraigMitchell » July 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm

FISM 2018 Day Two

8:30 am ... and the committed FISM fans are here in their droves for the start of the Stage Magic contest.

*Roch Illusionist – Stage Illusion – Mexico
Please push the red buzzer now ... a magician dancer accosting his female partner with monotonous narrator informing us that “his objective is letting her feel his magic in the most subtle way” After eight excruciating minutes of nothingness – the lady finally levitates or more accurately precariously balances whilst firmly attached to the magician.

*Ro Sok Hyon – General Magic – North Korea
Silk to dove, more doves, and yet another dove, a slow methodical dove vanish, color changing doves, color changing candle, dove from mouth, dove to smoke and a very visual color changing doves in cage.

*Vanni de Luca - Mentalism – Italy
Solved a magic square plus Rubik’s cube all whilst reciting a randomly selected sonnet. The routine would be much stronger if spectators were on stage so as to allow the audience to see their reactions.

*Tomonori Kurokawa - General magic - Japan
A jack in the box type figure sitting atop a giant die. Dots vanish, appear and shrink to a baby die. Baby die to cards, color changing baby die, color changing cards to a cardboard die.

( side note – where is Frank and the sounds of ‘magic all over the world’ ... FISM just isn’t the same without Frank’s musical interludes between acts. Quebec take note – FISM needs Frank! )

*Bimslechner - General Magic – Austria
A beer maiden with an amateur looking stage set, silk with thread dangling precariously, the perennial favourite of spoon from bosom, find the beer monte ending with a number square.

*Mister Ekis - Mentalism - Argentina
A sad caricature of a bad FISM act. A terrible accent, bowtied magician, incomprehensible magic featuring the magician’s late grandmother’s belongings ... and like his grandmother we too wished we were dearly departed.

( side note – why do the FISM timing lights now resemble rotating police sirens? It looks like Policeman Plod is going after Noddy having this light go round and round. )

*Ruben Vilagrand – General Magic - Spain
Appearing necktie – growing necktie – necktie through jacket sleeve. A Pavel style walking knot in the guise of a power cable ending with a bizarre swallowing of fishing hooks. I clearly missed the plot here?

*Masayo - General Magic – Japan
Kimono robe with silks on rope, silks to rope, a vanishing knot, rope through torso and appearing ‘totem poles’ ( cue correct cultural reference ) complete with quick change.

*Yann Yuro - Mentalism – Germany
You have to be a brave performer to do mentalism at FISM. And even braver to have your act rely on the vagaries of cellphone coverage. The stage opens to reveal a giant network cable dangling from the roof, an office table plus computer & printer. The magician prints off his prediction and leaves it dangling from the cable. A spectator calls a loved one and has them go to their PC at home and choose a product at random from Amazon (really!) A plastic sea horse is chosen. The prediction incredibly matches! Not only did the effect have magicians scratching their heads but Yann is remarkably entertaining. A rare feat in mentalism ;-)

--> to be continued ... sleep is calling.

CraigMitchell

Re: FISM 2018 - Day Two

Postby CraigMitchell » July 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Tues stage contest continued

*yu komohara - general magic
Silk to drink to ball - billiard ball manipulation - billiard ball manipulation and color changing balls.

*ji hye jun - general magic
Back to the future as we return to the well worn dove act.Dlite to dove, tuxedo and tails, bird in tails, candle to rose, vanishing candles ( why do they still manufacture those ?) Candle to dove and obligatory dove cage.

*Shezan - general magic
Aladdin meets Indiana Jones with appearing lanterns, more lanterns, dangling lanterns, fans and more fans, and in the ultimate plot twist the lanterns turn red.

*Tonny Poker - general - Mexico
Welcome to clash of cultures - animal skin Inca costume wearing magician with plastic appearing canes and IKEA table. In a painful twist, we turn the lights off and do the Flip move, climb about on the floor,torn and restored animal skin, unconvincing spirit hand and a horrible attempt at a floating pillar complete with ivy rod. Losander is dying inside.

*David hung - manipulation - Hong Kong
Cards to bow tie, rising card on thread (note to contestants - there is a 95% chance that your thread is going to be visible .... you are only fooling yourself ) Appearing multi color cards, color changing fans and appearing bow tie.

*Duo Luko - general
Two performers seated behind a school desk. Torn and restored homework, reappearing paper balls, multiplying apples, juggling demos ending with a bizarre cirque du soleil hand stand. Interesting concept that unfortunately gets repetitive.

*nao murata - general - japan
Appearing chair from jacket, disintegrating photo album, appearing laundry and the unfortunate use of Ray Crowe’s floating jacket.

And so closes the first round of stage contests. Big kudos to Gay Ljungberg and his superb tech team ... the contests have run unbelievably smoothly and when you consider the number of acts and the extremely limited rehearsal time, this is a feat all in itself!

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » July 11th, 2018, 1:52 am

… and the Endurance is caught fast in the merciless sea ice - will her hull be crushed? Or will she survive and rebound? Perhaps Day Three will tell ...

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 11th, 2018, 5:48 am

CLOSE UP CONTEST - TUES

Unlike past FISMs - there are no monitors in the convention hall broadcasting what is happening in the theatres ... and there is no overflow room for the close-up contest. Right off the bat two thirds of attendees are excluded as the closeup venue only seats 600. A major problem that shouldn’t have occurred in the first place.

On to the close-up ...

*Luca Mercatelli - Parlour - Italy
A mini framed stage in UV with the ‘magic hands’ doing the magic. Appearing ball, little boxes and a general feeling that I may as well be watching a movie rather than live entertainment.

*Ed Ripley - Micro - USA
Wearing a diners waiter outfit - we have cups and balls with Starbucks cups & cherries ... exposed chop cup, cups dropped on the floor and the mounting sensation that there is blood in the water. The velvet table and money printer is the final straw. Pls push the button.

*Choi One - Parlour - Invention
A confusing act with shoes vanishing and reappearing ( a reoccurring theme at FISM 2018 ) color changing neckties and guess a pocket color.

*Jonio - Japan - Micro
The talk of the closeup contest. File this one under the strange and wacky. “My beard is weird” the magician exclaims. After having his facial hair examined all manner of objects are produced from his tufts of glory - coins, poker chips, sharpies, jumbo coins and even a shot glass. Only at FISM

*Joad - Micro - Taiwan
Who would have believed that dice stacking could be entertaining - vanishes, appearances, color changes and more.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Welcome to the United Nations of magic politics. Three hours of mind numbing bureaucracy, irregular voting procedures, ballots that don’t add up and in a truly surprising result - Canada gets the bid for FISM 2021.

With FISM having been out of Europe - it was widely thought that Spain had the votes all wrapped up. Clearly not. The Spanish presentation was sorely lacking compared to the high professional finish of the Quebec team. And in a possible first, Canada may become the first FISM country to actually follow their bid book unlike the general modus operandi where all sorts of convention promises are made - and few are ever kept ( Blackpool nightmare anyone )

This will be the first time that FISM reaches North America and lets hope that the US magicians come out in force to support. It should be something special and reaffirms that FISM is a truly international event.

( in other surprises, Melbourne has announced their candidacy for FISM 2024 - expect strong opposition from the Europeans who will be more determined than ever to have FISM return “home” ;-)

ASIAN GALA SHOW

Our hosts for the evening are Lu Chen and the very strange Dr Leon whose limited English makes him - and his antics - very difficult to understand.

As a result I missed a number of the acts names.

Asami
Recreating Shimadas FISM act with the surprise appearance of Shimada himself at the end.

Taiwan
High energy act with canes, fans , silks, more fans and jumbo fans

Ten Pei
Devil stick and Diabolo juggler with some very impressive moves but when you drop twice (and not intentionally) you need to practice more.

Japan
Dancing cane, appearing cards, color changing fans, duo dancing canes and a beautiful moment at the end with paper hearts fluttering from the roof.

LU Chen and Dr Leon had a great MC spot that involves a floating box cum Metamorphosis ending with Lu Chen holding the box up with a single finger. A fun and surprising piece that took the audience completely off guard.

Den Den followed with his beautiful FISM act which I’ve had the pleasure of seeing multiple times during his recent Illusionists tour. There is something poetic about his performance as is the case with Lukas and his beautifully visual manipulation. It looks like real magic.

The show should have ended here but continued with Kenji ( good by itself but not next to the prior acts ) followed by the lack luster Lee Ling in traditional Asian garb ( cue complaints ) with torch to fans, silk through ring, color changing costume whilst standing against the wall followed by obligatory streamers. A weak ending for an otherwise enjoyable stage gala show.

So ends day two of FISM 2018 .... we are definitely feeling that FISM spirit - another 830 am start tomorrow!

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 11th, 2018, 5:58 am

For those looking for pics - Wittus Witt has some great snaps

http://www.magischewelt-plus.de/Plus/FI ... _2018.html

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 13th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Edripley
Favorite Magician: Tom Mullica

Postby Edripley » July 24th, 2018, 12:36 am

Craig Mitchell is entitled to his opinions, even those who disagree with them, or in my case are a victim of them, need to understand they are just his opinions.

Very few of those who read how horrible my performance was were able to actually see it first hand.

If you are interested in the types of acts Craig Mitchell criticizes, please watch the second part of my FISM act. The money maker he hated so much was just on Penn and Teller Fool Us, and they do not share Mr Mitchell’s opinion. See the link below, or youtube “Penn and Teller Fool Us Scientist”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DVoKZO29Zso

I am proud of my creativity, my act, and my courage to compete in the most exclusive magic competition on the planet.

I am proud of my team mates on team North America, and I am honored to have been included among thier number. I consider each of them to be a brother and friend, and would do anything in my power to support and encourage them.

I would also like to challenge Craig to join me in Quebec, for the next FISM, not as a magic critic but as a competitor. So you could truly see what it is like to work toward the goal of bringing joy and happiness to an audience.

Craig, until you walk in my shoes, please, just allow me to enjoy my magical journey.

I love magic, and any magicians who seek to elevate the art.

And Craig, one day I hope I can count you as a friend, dedicated to building up the art, and not an adversary committed to tearing it down.

Magically yours,
Ed Ripley

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2018, 11:14 am

Craig does not have to join you as a competitor at FISM in order to have his opinions. He's a tough critic, but a fair one.
Professionals listen or do not listen to criticism, but they never reply to it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » July 24th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Ed,

There are nearly 30 acts from Day Two evaluated on this page.

Do you really want to bring everyone's focused attention to a particular one among them?

performer

Postby performer » July 24th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Did anyone get a standing ovation?

performer

Postby performer » July 24th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Craig does not have to join you as a competitor at FISM in order to have his opinions. He's a tough critic, but a fair one.
Professionals listen or do not listen to criticism, but they never reply to it.

Yes, but Ed isn't a professional. He is not in the entertainment business. He is in the science business.

On another note I have seen many excerpts from this Penn and Teller show. All very, very scripted and artificial. I get the impression everyone is trying to play Hamlet instead of doing a card trick or whatever else they are amusing themselves with. Is there nobody on there who talks like a real human being?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2018, 2:41 pm

If you are going to enter a competition, you have to steel yourself for both criticism and a losing score, pro or not.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 24th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Some get invited to appear on P&T, some don’t.

‘Nuff said

:-)

performer

Postby performer » July 24th, 2018, 3:00 pm

And those who are interested in that sort of thing apply. And those who have no desire to go near it don't.

performer

Postby performer » July 24th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If you are going to enter a competition, you have to steel yourself for both criticism and a losing score, pro or not.

Goodliffe once made the point that established professionals with any kind of reputation should never go in for one of those magic competitions. If they win then people will just shrug their shoulders and think,"so what?" In other words it is an expected result. However, in the far more likely event that they will lose they will lose prestige and look very bad. After all the results of these things are often skewed.

Thus Albert Goshman who may well have had the greatest close up magic act in history went in for one of those contents and came in fifth. His ego must have been devastated and his prestige somewhat diminished. And he is not the only one. I can think of a few pros with reputations going in for one of those events and not doing as well as expected.

However, it is perfectly acceptable for amateurs or up and coming pros with no particular reputation to go in for one of those silly events as long as they don't take it too seriously and believe the results actually mean they are any good or not. If the judges are magicians then naturally it is a biased result and doesn't count anyway.

I bet if Criss Angel was daft enough to go in for one of those competitions he would come in last!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2018, 3:24 pm

I'm sure Criss Angel would come in last! :lol:

reburbia

Postby reburbia » July 24th, 2018, 3:31 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:CLOSE UP CONTEST - TUES

Welcome to the United Nations of magic politics. Three hours of mind numbing bureaucracy, irregular voting procedures, ballots that don’t add up and in a truly surprising result - Canada gets the bid for FISM 2021...

This will be the first time that FISM reaches North America and lets hope that the US magicians come out in force to support. It should be something special and reaffirms that FISM is a truly international event.

Wow that is incredible news
"The moment someone with imagination and vision takes an effect... Everybody jumps up & says.. 'I can use that!'... Develop a little pride along with your magical ability." -Annemann

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2018, 6:02 pm

refurbia: you've misspelled Annemann's name in your signature.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » July 24th, 2018, 10:43 pm

I hadn't gone looking for the judges' scores before now, but Ed's post prompted me to seek them out.

Scores for all competitors at FISM 2018 are here:
https://fism.org/latest-news/fism-2018-contest-results/

Considering it was scored as "BFL", Craig's evaluation of the act in question seems in line with the opinion of the FISM judges.

reburbia

Postby reburbia » July 25th, 2018, 1:17 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:refurbia: you've misspelled Annemann's name in your signature.

Thanks. I probably should have developed the ability to proofread along with my magical ability
"The moment someone with imagination and vision takes an effect... Everybody jumps up & says.. 'I can use that!'... Develop a little pride along with your magical ability." -Annemann

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » July 25th, 2018, 11:57 am

Just curious. How are selected FISM judges? What profile must they have?
Andres Reynoso

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 25th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Andres Reynoso wrote:Just curious. How are selected FISM judges? What profile must they have?

The ability to stay awake is the No. 1 criterion.

performer

Postby performer » July 25th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I once organised a magic competition in Blackpool and got Murray the famous escapologist to be one of the judges. The other two consisted of the manager of Ripley's Odditorium and the other was the guy running the exhibition where the event was being held. Ripley's provided the prize money or whatever the hell the prize was. I still remember David Davis, a local character who wanted to compete asking me to rig the competition in his favour and he would split the prize money with me. I remember he wanted me to bribe old Murray to vote for him and I bet the old crook would probably have gone for it but I decided to do things honestly for once. They were all local magicians.

Naturally all the acts were terrible and I still remember one guy accidentally dropped the cloth for the zombie ball showing the stick and ball for all to see. Then of course the ball dropped with a great clatter onto the floor. One exhibitor snarled to me "what idiot brought all those fools in here?" I didn't tell him it was me.

Murray promptly fell asleep and the exhibition organiser got so bored he wandered away intermittently during the acts returning from time to time. Only the manager of Ripley's pretended to pay attention.

Eventually some incompetent or other won the prize. I said to Murray later, "How could you judge who was the best? You were asleep the whole time!" He snorted, "Oh, I've seen them all before---of course I could judge it"

Return to “Buzz”