Art Emerson R.I.P.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Art Emerson R.I.P.

Postby Q. Kumber » June 5th, 2018, 10:39 am

Just heard via Anthony Darkstone Brook that Arthur Emerson had passed away.

In addition to being one half of the Emerson & West magic company he did for many years also organised magic tours from the USA to Europe on a regular basis. One such tour stopped off in Ireland in 1987 to attend and perform at the Mystic Circle Convention in the Victor Hotel, Dunlaoghaire which for a variety of reasons was known ever after as the American convention.

Art was also a very good magic demonstrator. At the British Ring conventions, he'd be on the Repro stand and just demmed all day, and always with a large crowd. I used avoid getting too close as I knew I'd end up buying a trick I'd never do, but now, years later, I'd stand and watch all day, knowing I was watching a master demmer at work.

We got to know each other quite well at British and Irish conventions. He told me that when dealing at a convention, his first task was to remove chairs from behind the dealer stand so there would be no temptation to sit down.

At FISM Blackpool, having a premonition, I suggested to the then fellow PEA members, we forego the banquet and book a table at the Greek restaurant. We had myself, Art, Max Maven, Christopher Taylor, and a couple of others whose names have slipped my mind, for a wonderfully pleasant evening.

Art had some great stories of behind the scenes happening at conventions, and magic in general. He was always the most entertaining company and I shall miss him.

R.I.P. Art.

Brad Henderson

Re: Art Emerson R.I.P.

Postby Brad Henderson » June 5th, 2018, 12:21 pm

He will be buried in a large plastic wallet.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 5th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Oh ... that's cold.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 5th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Writing up a some memories and formatting them as novelty cards could honor the guy.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Chris10
Favorite Magician: Al Goshman

Postby Chris10 » June 5th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Art also performed some nice mentalism.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 5th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:He will be buried in a large plastic wallet.

Richard Kaufman wrote:Oh ... that's cold.

That's funny, is what that is.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 5th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Made me smile.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » June 6th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I laughed too.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

When I was a kid, I cut my teeth on plenty of Emerson and West goodness. I'm also performing a variation of one of his routines in a show next week.

Thanks for all the joy you've provided me, Sir! R.I.P.

PS: Here's an interesting pictorial thread on Lugimar's E & W packet trick collection: http://www.themagiciansforum.com/post/m ... st-7939519

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 20th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Message from Arthur's family:

To all those who knew Arthur Emerson, my wife and I, would like to invite you for a gathering in celebration of his life. Arthur expressed that when the day did come and he left this earth, he did not want a church service but to have a gathering of friends and family to talk of the good times and to raise a glass of wine in his memory. With that being said, I have made arrangements at Armends at 1900 South Main street in Grapevine, Texas, for June 27th from 530pm to 8. Armends is a BYOB establishment, we will be providing numerous bottles of wine, but feel free to bring your own if you wish. A dinner will be available, not required if all you are wishing to do is stop by and pay your respects. If you do plan to stay for a dinner it will consist of :

tossed salad
choice of Pollo Picata- chicken
breast sauteed in white wine or Lasagna
Limoncello cake or New York cheese cake

I ask that if you plan to attend the dinner part of this get together that you RSVP me at clarenceennis@yahoo.com by Sunday June 24 , with your choice of dinner so that I can let Armends know on how many to have for the event.

Service for Arthur (and Mildred) will be held on June 28th at Dallas Forth Worth National Cemetery, Mountain creek parkway in Arlington at 930 am . Again all those who wish to attend are welcome. If you wish to send any correspondence to Judy or I, You can mail to Clarence and Judy Ennis, 3362 Summerfield drive Grapevine Texas 76051 or you can still Mail to Arthur's home address. thank you for your thoughts and prayers.'

Clarence Ennis

JFox

Postby JFox » June 21st, 2018, 9:07 am

Mentalists and Bizarrists who perform the mind-numbing "Pegasus Page" book test...should say a silent 'thank you' to Mr. Emerson, during their audience's gasps & applause.

Return to “Buzz”