The Svengali Deck

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bill Duncan

Re: The Svengali Deck

Postby Bill Duncan » June 10th, 2018, 2:58 am

Jackpot wrote:I've had great reactions to the Svengali deck.

No doubt. I've never said it couldn't be used effectively, only that I didn't feel it was worth the weight.

Beside all cards are the same, in particular are the sequence where the cards are cut into multiple piles and the top card of the pile selected by the spectator match the selected card, and dealing out out six card - the spectator rolling a die - counting 1, 2, 3,4 5 or 6 and there's the card without any convoluted force. You really have them count the number they roll. No convoluted spelling needed.

If the choices are "clean and direct" or "convoluted and suspicious" I'll go with clean and direct every time.

I do like the multiple packet bit where the spectator can choose which pile the card will be on, just not enough to carry a special pack for it. And I find it odd that people then do the all-alike display which sort of ruins the magical effect by proving their choice was irrelevant.

For years I've been doing a Larry Jennings effect where a card thought of by a spectator is found at a number thought of by another spectator. No special pack is required, and in fact the pack can be incomplete and in poor condition. The number isn't limited to 1-6, and I don't have to carry a die, or a special deck, or force the card, so I can repeat the effect for the same folks without having to buy a second deck of cards. That's pretty clean and direct, yes? And there's really only one "move" in the effect unless you count a control shuffle, which come on, if you're a magician who owns a pack of cards you can do that in your sleep...

performer

Postby performer » June 10th, 2018, 10:13 am

As I said the strongest trick is showing the same card on multiple piles. There is no method in existence where you can do that with a regular deck, or at least with the same directness. Also you can indeed show the deck to be all the same with the Hindu Shuffle but that is a very weak substitute for the various spreads and displays that you can do with the svengali deck showing the same thing.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » June 10th, 2018, 10:20 am

To clear up an assumption of Mr. Duncan: I am not carrying the Svengali deck around all day or for that matter on a daily basis. I only carry it when it is going to be used in a performance. (I have a kayak, too. But I don't run around with it on top of my car everyday on the off chance I may go kayaking. I only carry it when I'm actually going to use it.) The Svengali deck shouldn't be used for single, isolated tricks. It should be used for routines.

I usually carry a pair of dice as there are good routines with dice. I don't think it's any more unusual to carry dice than a deck of cards.

If all I ever did was a Svengali routine I wouldn't be a magician. Magicians can perform magic anytime, not just when they have their gaffed or mechanical deck with them.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 10th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Just to bring things in this thread, if not full circle, perhaps then a small side loop:

It turns out that one of the big inspirations that started Daryl in magic was the Svengali deck, (which is why his favorite card throughout his life was that very same duplicate card from that deck.)

Before his untimely passing, he also released a DVD on the Svengali deck: http://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php ... =20&id=748

(I still miss the guy)

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 10th, 2018, 2:06 pm

All of Daryl's Essential DVDs are very good.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 10th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Agree. Combine the Essentials with his Fooler Doolers series, then add and Johnny Thompsons Classics of Magic videos and you'll have all the material you could ever need, and a pretty solid education in the bargain.

performer

Postby performer » June 10th, 2018, 11:53 pm

I have seen Darryl attempt to use the svengali deck. He puts his thumb in the wrong place for one of the moves. A common beginners mistake.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 11th, 2018, 8:28 am

Mr. Lewis: May I ask what the error is please? Thanks!

performer

Postby performer » June 11th, 2018, 9:46 am

Oh God! I hate describing technical manouvres! It is not an easy thing to do. Someone stole the entire Darryl svengali DVD and put the entire thing on you tube so people wouldn't have to buy it. It is not there now so obviously there was some copyright complaint. All I can find it is this and he makes the mistake several times on there. In fact in the very first few seconds you can see that he is holding the cards in the wrong grip and the wrong manner. That is a dead giveaway that he is not used to working with the deck. You are supposed to form a cage with the left hand with the left forefinger at the outer edge of the deck rather than the thumb. A sort of mechanic's grip.

Magicians don't realise the amount of sleight of hand that is at work with the svengali deck. They just underestimate the deck thinking it is just some silly trick deck of cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQDgbYnZXg

performer

Postby performer » June 11th, 2018, 4:56 pm

OK. Perhaps this is the best way to explain it. Look at 9 seconds in at Darryl doing the move. The left hand position is all wrong and as a result the cards are less secure and not under proper control. Now look at this video of me doing it. And look specifically at the hand position (the left hand) when I do the Svengali RUN (the technical name for the move) at 50 seconds in. You will see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMacPlKVKQo

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 11th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Performer Wrote: "Magicians don't realise the amount of sleight of hand that is at work with the svengali deck. They just underestimate the deck thinking it is just some silly trick deck of cards."

If those magicians took the time to master the handling (the right handling as Performer does it in his incredibly well-honed routine) and then saw the powerful impact upon spectators, they would surely not underestimate it any longer. And, to Performer's point that magicians don't realize the sleight of hand that is at work with the Svengali deck, I had a recent dialogue with a world-class card handling expert, who is wildly successful as a full-time professional magician (no need to drop names right now), and he made the point that there is nothing more powerful in close-up magic than the combination of a gaff and good sleight of hand.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 12th, 2018, 9:15 am

I believe Daryl did pitch Svengalis in his early days. He confirmed to me via email that he had pitched different tricks, sven decks, paddles, etc.

I never noticed that but he is holding the cards weird there.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

performer

Postby performer » June 12th, 2018, 4:04 pm

I spoke to him once and he admitted that he mainly performed for other magicians. I know he did one trade show and refused to ever do another one. He just wasn't suited to it. On the other hand I did see him perform parlour magic at Caesar's Palace and he was quite pleasant to watch.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 12th, 2018, 4:09 pm

‘Twas Daryl that got me into all this card malarkey.

Andrew

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 12th, 2018, 5:24 pm

He was, indeed, quite pleasant to watch. I daresay a totally unique, one-of-a-kind, inimitable performing style. And an encyclopedic knowledge of sleights, moves and tricks - and not just cards... He is greatly missed.

Return to “Buzz”