The Jim Ryan Lecture May 2018

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Dobrowolski

The Jim Ryan Lecture May 2018

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 27th, 2018, 12:29 pm

My upcoming lecture May 21, 2018 in the Chicago Area.

James Patrick Ryan, “The Darling of the Geritol Set”, was a magic legend. To this day he is recognized throughout the world as one of the masters of close up magic.

For 20 years starting in 1933. Jim owned and performed at “The Magic Tap, one of Chicago’s legendary magic bars. The bar was frequented by the likes of Paul Le Paul, Johnny Platt, Matt Schulein and Ed Marlo. In 1967 while visiting and performing at the world renowned “ Magic Castle” owner Bill Larsen tried to convince Jim to move out to L.A. and become their resident magician .Jim politely refused the offer so he could stay close to children and grandchildren in the Chicago area. In 1977 the exclusive by invitation only annual gathering of the world’s finest close up magicians “Fecther’s Finger Flicking Frolics” instituted a “Man of the Year” honoree. The first honoree that year was Jim Ryan. One of his favorite things to do was to share and teach his magic with those truly interested. Jim was a teacher, mentor and friend to some of the best close up performers including Tom Mullica and Paul Gertner.

I became a student and friend of Jim’s in the 1980’s when he was in his 80’s and I was in my 20’s. I spent 10 years traveling with, listening to and learning from Jim. He was my teacher, my mentor and my dear friend.

This lecture includes some of Jim Ryan’s classic magic routines including “Ryan's Dunbury Delight”, “The Twins”, "Ryan’s Ring, Rope and Wand”, “Three Cards Across”, his classic Cups and Balls and more. I also will be teaching several of his favorite bar magic/impromptu items. If time allows I will also be teaching a few things of Jim’s that have not yet been published anywhere.

My goal with this lecture is to share some of Jim’s wonderful magic and to have a LOT of fun. That’s what Jim and his magic was all about.

Lecture notes will be available after May 21. Details to follow.

Mr. Charming

Re: The Jim Ryan Lecture May 2018

Postby Mr. Charming » April 30th, 2018, 1:37 am

Nice!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 5th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Here’s some details. Hope to see some of you there. Feel free to share this link. Thanks!

http://www.conjurorsclub.com

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 14th, 2018, 10:03 am

Thanks to all who asked the notes for this lecture will be available in about a week. I am waiting to get the printed copies. Thanks for your patience

In the meantime here's another chance to catch the lecture a week from today Thursday June 21st!

https://magicmastersofchicago.com/guest-lecturer

GUEST LECTURER JUNE 21, 2018 "Lecture Nights: The meeting begins at 7 pm with a brief readout of club status, current events and next months agenda (tops, 15 minutes). Then at 7:30 the lecture begins. Lecturers are free for members, $15 for guests. We meet in the Social room of the Tinley Park United Methodist Church. Please park behing the building and enter the door in back."

Tom Dobrowolski's New Lecture...
This Will Kill You! The Magic Of James Patrick Ryan

For those who may not recognize his name, James Patrick Ryan, "The Darling of the Geritol Set", is a magic legend. To this day he is recognized throughout the world as one of the masters of close up magic.

For 20 years starting in 1933, Jim owned and performed at the "Magic Tap", one of Chicago's legendary magic bars. The bar was frequented by the likes of Paul Le Paul, Johnny Platt, Matt Schulien and Ed Marlo.

In 1967 while visiting and performing at the world renowned "The Magic Castle" owner Bill Larsen tried to convince Jim to move out to L.A. and become their resident magician. Jim politely refused the offer so he could stay close to children and grandchildren in the Chicago area. In 1977 the exclusive by invitation only annual gathering of the world's finest close up magicians "Fechters Finger Flicking Frolics" instituted a "Man of the Year" honoree. The first honoree that year was Jim Ryan. His favorite thing to do in addition to performing was to share and teach his magic with those truly interested. Jim was also a teacher, mentor and friend to some of the best close up performers in magic including Tom Mullica and Paul Gertner.

I became a friend and student of Jim's in the 1980's and I was in my 20's. Over the next 10 years I would spend time traveling with, listening to and learning from Jim. He was my teacher, mentor and dear friend.

This lecture includes some of Jim's classic magic routines including "Ryan's Dunbury Delight", "The Twins", "Ryan's Ring Rope and Wand", "Three Cards Across", his classic cups and balls routine and more. I will also be teaching several of his favorite bar magic/impromptu items. If time allows, I will also teach a few things of Jim's that have not yet been published anywhere.

My goal with this lecture is to introduce Jim and his Magic to magicians who have not ha the pleasure of knowing him, to share some of Jim's wonderful magic and to have A LOT of fun! That's what Jim and his magic was and always will be about. I know this would please him immensely and make him smile.

Lecture Time

The LECTURE begins at 7:30
Guests: $15 @ door

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 14th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Hi Tom, I hope you explain Jim's fake knot better than what appeared in his publications by Phil Wilmarth. I couldn't follow it at all.
(Ring, Rope and Wand routine).

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 14th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:Hi Tom, I hope you explain Jim's fake knot better than what appeared in his publications by Phil Wilmarth. I couldn't follow it at all.
(Ring, Rope and Wand routine).

Agreed! The picture on the website (and on the notes) is actually of Jim teaching me a different way to do the knot as no one could make sense out of the write up. We tried to clean the write up some but I couldn't recall specifically how Jim did it compared to the way I do which is an easier way. That was a long time ago:-). Hopefully it's at least a little better.

Return to “Buzz”