SAM dues increase

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

SAM dues increase

Postby erdnasephile » April 14th, 2018, 11:03 am

Just got a email that dues are increasing to $79/yr, but if you renew now, you can renew at the old rate ($65) and save some money. I think you can also renew for up to 3 years at the old rate and save even more. Paperless is going up from $45 to $55.

I can certainly understand the rationale for the dues increase, and I really appreciate the added value of the on-line materials we've been receiving, as well as the high quality of MUM. I think they've done an excellent job trying to make an SAM membership worthwhile. I'm not an insider, but from the annual reports, it sounds like they are being good stewards of our cash.

I've been a member of both SAM and IBM for over 30 years, and have felt supporting both clubs is a worthy cause. However, I can't help but wonder if, at $79 a year, the average member (especially those on fixed incomes) may be starting to get priced out of the market. Between those dues, the Castle, conventions, Genii, expensive tent pole books, etc., the money I budget for magic is being eaten more and more rapidly these days. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to have to cut one or more of those memberships loose eventually.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Scott Wells

Re: SAM dues increase

Postby Scott Wells » April 14th, 2018, 11:45 am

It makes Lifetime Membership sound better and better. If anyone has the means when you are young, then I recommend getting lifetime membership in all organizations to hedge inflation.

And as to costs for magic, there is still one great FREE source for magic entertainment and education: podcasts. Support for these podcasts (like mine) are solely supported by the generosity of appreciative patrons who have the means. But you can get some really great material for free by listening to the various podcasts out there.
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: SAM dues increase

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm

The S.A.M. really has no choice, and if I was not a Life Member I would happily pay the increase.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”