The Trick That Cannot Be Explained - New Research

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

The Trick That Cannot Be Explained - New Research

Postby Q. Kumber » April 1st, 2018, 7:19 am

Some DVDs have hidden Easter Eggs and sometimes the publishers don't let you know they are there. They are even in books.

Imagine my surprise to discover one in the second Hofzinser volume by Magic Christian. If you turn it back up and upside down and flick through the now bottom pages you will see a flick book type of moving picture of Hofzinser performing The Trick That Cannot Be Explained.

My own research has revealed how this came about because the true story is not in the book.

These images were taken by Georges Méliès who took over the Theatre Robert Houdin in Paris and was an early pioneer of moving pictures.

How it was discovered is interesting. Years after the photos were taken Harry Houdini, while doing his research on Robert Houdin, bought, from the theatre, an old trunk that had lain unopened for years. Houdini realised there were photos of Hofzinser but couldn't figure out what he was doing. When Vernon met Houdini and fooled him with his card trick, Houdini told Vernon about the pictures and promised to show them to Vernon if he would reveal the secret to his trick.

On seeing the images, Vernon immediately realised what they were and what the trick was but pretended to Houdini that he hadn't a clue. Houdini died a few years later and Vernon simply claimed the trick was his, believing that the images were lost.

Fast forward a decade or so and Ed Marlo, checking a leaky water tank in an attic came across the trunk and realised from where Vernon had gotten the trick that had made his name. Marlo contacted Vernon and threatened to release the truth unless Vernon passed on loads of tricks and moves to Marlo who could publish them and claim them as his own.

Fortunately Magic Christian, posing as a double-glazing salesman was able to gain entry to Marlo's old home and find these lost images. This is an extraordinary piece of magical history and research that rivals the search for the identity of Erdnase.

Bob Farmer

Re: The Trick That Cannot Be Explained - New Research

Postby Bob Farmer » April 1st, 2018, 9:17 am

Be advised: the window pane acid is bad. I repeat, the window pane acid is bad.

performer

Postby performer » April 1st, 2018, 9:38 am

I have invented a method of doing this trick which gets away from this silly nonsense of making it all up as you go along. That can sometimes be wonderful or sometimes end up as bloody awful. I prefer it to be wonderful all the time. It looks exactly the same as the usual Vernon procedure but is actually far superior because you cannot be led into weak climaxes. I call it "The trick That CAN be explained". One of these days I might reveal the details.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 1st, 2018, 10:38 am

Bob Farmer wrote:Be advised: the window pane acid is bad. I repeat, the window pane acid is bad.

Gosh, Bob, i sure wish you would have said something sooner. Is this your idea of an April Fool's gag?

BTW, the headline post here today looks suspiciously like one from December 21, 2013 re Villesville. As the great Yogi Berra might say: "It's deja vu all over again." (Or could it be that window pane?)

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 1st, 2018, 10:45 am

Eric Mead published a two deck version of this effect in his book Tangle Web. The added deck creates more avenues to explore, but I always preferred keeping it to just one. As Mark commented, a wrong turn can send you down the rabbit hole crashing headlong into an unremarkable ending.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 1st, 2018, 11:53 am

That was delightful, Quentin.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 1st, 2018, 12:44 pm

I love a good Easter story.

Anthony Vinson