Paul Gertner's Close-up show in Boston

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jaybo

Paul Gertner's Close-up show in Boston

Postby Jaybo » March 31st, 2018, 1:57 pm

Last night, my family and I saw Paul Gertner’s new close-up magic show at the Parker House hotel in Boston. As expected, he was terrific, and at the end he got a standing ovation from the two dozen spectators.

With charm, humor, and incredibly smooth handling, he performed a lot of classic effects (Paul’s opener, Triple Die-lemma, Bill to lemon, Card to Wallet, Unshuffled, steel cups and balls as well as coins, ropes, book tests) for 75 minutes. He said he hopes to re-create each week in Boston the experience he had years ago at the Forks Hotel, around Eddie Fechter’s table.

Several of the people said they learned about the show from “What’s Happening” listings on the web, and wanted to come because “he fooled Penn and Teller.”

The experience reminded me of David Williamson’s Introduction to Steel and Silver from 1994:
“I was fascinated by his handling of the props, his routining, and the clean way he presented….
...imagine the most pleasant person you know, performing the most incredible magic effect that you’ve ever seen; that is what watching Paul Gertner is like.”

Paul mentioned that he taped his third appearance for Fool Us earlier this month. I hope that broadcast brings more people out, so his show has a long run, and so I can keep going back.

https://miraclesandotherdeceptions.com/

Jay Burke

Return to “Buzz”