New John Thompson Book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New John Thompson Book

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm

It can take from three to eight weeks at the printer depending upon the complications of a particular project. The sheets John signed will be machine tipped between the first signature and the front endsheet, a process which adds very little time to the process. I imagine that the book will ship sometime between the middle to end of March. At the latest, it might be early April if any problems encountered in the printing and binding need to be corrected.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » March 30th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I inquired about this book with Julie yesterday and received thus response:

“Sorry for the constant holding pattern answers, but that is where I am.

We are on a holiday here in Canada, but I know that the books have arrived to the USA to our distribution centre. But they need to accept the books in to inventory and then of course, process our orders.

I am assuming that one of these weekend days are holidays for the staff at the distribution centre but I have not been given clarity on which one. Regardless, the books should be processed very soon, in a matter of days now, and soon en route to you. I am really appreciative of your patience. Really, truly, not long now!

Thanks again
Julie”

Woo hoo!! :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 30th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Good Friday today, Easter on Sunday, and "Easter Monday" on Monday.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 3rd, 2018, 2:27 pm

I just received my copy, or rather copies, since there are two massive volumes. It took three Fedex drivers and four mules to haul it out of the truck and up to my house. This has got to be the bargain of the century.

James Alan
Favorite Magician: Joshua Jay

Postby James Alan » April 4th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:I just received my copy, or rather copies, since there are two massive volumes. It took three Fedex drivers and four mules to haul it out of the truck and up to my house. This has got to be the bargain of the century.

I hope you remembered to tip the mules.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 4th, 2018, 4:32 pm

I am perturbed that less important people are receiving their copies before me. :-)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 4th, 2018, 6:27 pm

these mules , were they smiling?

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » April 4th, 2018, 7:00 pm

James Alan wrote:
Bob Farmer wrote:I just received my copy, or rather copies, since there are two massive volumes. It took three Fedex drivers and four mules to haul it out of the truck and up to my house. This has got to be the bargain of the century.

I hope you remembered to tip the mules.

I'm not familiar with mule tipping. Is it anything like cow tipping?

JMD

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 4th, 2018, 8:22 pm

There's plenty of tipping by Johnny Thompson on every page of the books. Having seen and been baffled by his Egg Bag routine on several occasions, that's where I started to read. These books are an astounding value. And one more thing: is Julie Eng the best photographer of close-up magic that has ever lived? The photographs are stunning--just like the ones she did for that other amazing book, The Experts At The Card Table.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » April 4th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:... is Julie Eng the best photographer of close-up magic that has ever lived? The photographs are stunning--just like the ones she did for that other amazing book, The Experts At The Card Table.

She is, in my opinion.
Her photos capture the essence of the moment and have a elegant, artistic sensibility (as in EATCT).
Looking forward to receiving the books!
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

performer

Postby performer » April 6th, 2018, 12:05 pm

I actually saw the book yesterday. It is actually two books. It is still a horrific price but I am glad to say not quite as horrific as before. I do hope the fact that it is two books is mentioned a little more often. Better for business that way. I think what I would have done is included a couple of little pamphlets, not mentioned the size and advertised it as a four book collection. Magicians will buy anything and I am sure they would have fallen for it.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 6th, 2018, 1:03 pm

John M. Dale wrote: "I'm not familiar with mule tipping..."

Well, from what I understand, it is highly encouraged. Once the mules have worked so hard to deliver such hefty volumes, stiffing them could be a real kick in (or, worse yet, by) the a _ s.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Yes, they are two ENORMOUS books.
People have been eagerly awaiting for Johnny to tip everything for decades.
Pretty much everyone is looking forward to these books.
And, yes, it's an expensive set. I have no doubt it will be worth every penny.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm

The set is finally here!

Years ago, I was made aware of one particular routine that Mr. Thompson had said was going to be included in the books. So, at that time, I gathered the necessary props and they have been waiting ever since in a cabinet---waiting for the publication of these books and the permission to begin working on the routine.

Accordingly, I resisted the urge to stop at the Harry Riser section (!) and turned right to the longed-for pages.

Wow...The stunning level of detail and thought that went into fooling me absolutely floored me! He's held nothing back--every aspect of the trick is described in the minutest detail. (None of that "Use your favorite method" foolishness here.) Even more impressively (to me), everything that could conceivably go wrong is spelled out (along with solutions!). And that's only ONE routine in this cave of wonders (Did someone say Egg Bag, a section on Miller, the Cups and Balls, The Great Tomsoni & Co. act, and MORE?) I am truly in awe.

Is there anyone who wouldn't probably like this book? I can only really think of one group--if you don't like to work or if you want things you can do at the magic meeting next week, you probably aren't going to find much of that here. There are no pipe dreams and no weird plots with tattoos, iphones, ear buds, or bodily fluids (well, maybe just one). It's classic magic and reflects a certain taste. If you are on the fence, I suggest picking up the Johnny Thompson L & L DVDs. If you like that stuff, you're going to LOVE this.

That said, I also think that the material is so well-taught, it is actually accessible to the intermediate student, a not inconsequential feat when dealing with such detailed material. It's all there, lucidly described by Mr. Swiss and sumptuously photographed by Ms. Eng. So much so, that if a lesser experienced, but dedicated, student really, truly thirsts to learn the routines, I believe they can. (I would have killed for a book like this in my youth). However, to those folks (and especially to us oldie amateurs), Teller's forward is required reading, especially pages 24 and 25. His wise advice on how to approach the material (indeed, how HE himself is choosing to approach the material) should be well-heeded.

The set isn't the biggest in size or weight for your three bills (that honor goes to the amazing Tenyoism); however, in terms of the sheer brilliance of one man, artfully (and practically) presented, it's a Goliath and a towering tribute to the life's work of one of the greatest ever. It ain't cheap in dollar terms, but IMHO, it is absolutely worth it a million times over to serious students.

Thank you Mr. Thompson, Ms. Thompson, Mr. Swiss, Ms. Eng, Mr. Ben and all the rest of the folks involved in this amazing production.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » April 6th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Mine arrived today in Los Angeles. Looks great; looking forward to digesting it.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » April 6th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Arrived in Brooklyn today. Beautiful photos and layout.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm

My copies arrived (one review copy for Genii and one personal copy). Damn, 20 pounds is heavy!

slamerson
Favorite Magician: Roberto Giobbi

Postby slamerson » April 7th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Mine arrived yesterday in South Florida. So far I have browsed through the first volume and it is the best. There is no way that the price was too high. This is pure gold and worth twice the price. Tolle Lege

SamLam

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 7th, 2018, 8:42 pm

If I have time, or if anyone else has time, here's a project: there are so many tips about various sleights throughout the books, an index would be helpful. Marlo's Simple Shift: here's how Johnny does it. etc. Denis Behr's legion of indexers be advised.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » April 7th, 2018, 10:44 pm

What carrier did you use? I feel like a kid who missed Christmas. I’ve been looking out my window all day long listing for a truck to pull up or the Mule team and nothing. It’s arrived to others in Los Angeles and I’m just north of there.

:x

Peace, joe

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 7th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Joe Naud wrote:What carrier did you use?

Mine came via USPS.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 8th, 2018, 12:33 am

The books are shipped from Michigan. Because of the mysterious ways of the post office, the books can arrive at all different times, even if two recipients live a few blocks apart. This is due to your local post offices, and what they decide they are going to deliver on any particular day.

Note that Magicana has stated that the books were mailed in two shipments, that is on two different days. So expect different delivery times.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 10th, 2018, 9:30 am

Bob Farmer wrote:If I have time, or if anyone else has time, here's a project: there are so many tips about various sleights throughout the books, an index would be helpful. Marlo's Simple Shift: here's how Johnny does it. etc. Denis Behr's legion of indexers be advised.

Great idea!

(My favorite non-sleight tip in the book was Ron Whol's Re: bicolored egg bags).

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » April 10th, 2018, 9:34 am

It will of course be indexed on my site eventually. But the first step would be for it to arrive.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » April 10th, 2018, 9:47 am

I eagerly await Denis's new book, Passive-Aggressive Card Miracles. :)

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » April 10th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Here's a performance snippet of one of those miracles: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/storage/gifs/table.gif

And of course I'm confident the JT books will arrive soon! ;-)

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 10th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I haven't seen the new Johnny Thompson book yet.

But I always remembered that he had a great way to get a spectator to clean up a deck of cards - when you are left with one or more reversed cards after a trick. It is perfect for those who want a simple (and sneaky) way to clean up the deck before going into your next trick.

I will post it later in the thread if it is not in the new book (unlikely - but you never know).

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » April 10th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Denis Behr: That clip is less passive than I remember.

Joe McKay: I think you're referring to Johnny's clean-up after Alex Elmsley's Brainweave effect. There are a dozen or so face-up cards in the face-down deck that need to be righted. Johnny's solution is ingenious.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » April 10th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Yeah - that is the one!

I was thinking of it in terms of cleaning up any effect where you are left with reversed cards. But the only trick where this is a major issue is Alex Elmsley's Brainweave effect. It is one of the strongest tricks you can do with an unprepared deck of cards. So that clean-up is well worth knowing.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 10th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Denis Behr wrote:Here's a performance snippet of one of those miracles: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/storage/gifs/table.gif

Have you considered one of the low-calorie beers?

aofl

Postby aofl » April 10th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Michael Close wrote:Denis Behr: That clip is less passive than I remember.

Joe McKay: I think you're referring to Johnny's clean-up after Alex Elmsley's Brainweave effect. There are a dozen or so face-up cards in the face-down deck that need to be righted. Johnny's solution is ingenious.

Just read the clean-up in the book. The man is nefarious!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 11th, 2018, 8:12 am

Arrived in Manchester, England this morning!

One very happy bunny here!

AJM

Postby AJM » April 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Forget about that Erdnase geezer, the Johnny Thompson books have arrived in Scotland-land.

There will be a ceremonial opening of the box later this evening to which all are cordially invited.

Andrew

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » April 18th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I have just received a phone call from house. A post man with a mule commitive knocked the door.

Yes, it must be a book. They said they didn't think it is a book because is a packet so heavy. Well, if has my name on the label just can be a book or Genii magazine, but Genii never comes in box neither weights so much.

So at night I will be able to confirm the arrival of Great Thompsoni to Mexico
Andres Reynoso

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 19th, 2018, 5:23 pm

I ordered a home delivery body-building course. First the mailman brought me 10 pound weights. Then he brought me 25 pound weights. Then he brought 50 pound weights. It really worked—you should see the muscles on my mailman.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 19th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I ordered one of those bodybuilding machines a while back - I had to send it back as I couldn't get the packaging open...

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » April 20th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Just read on GeniiOnline Magicana has said the books are officially sold out :o

By the way, the packet which arrived home it's the book
Andres Reynoso

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 20th, 2018, 10:26 pm

As of the time of this posting, Penguin and The Magic Apple still have some sets. Vanishing, Inc. and H & R are sold out. If you are a Castle Member, John Thompson will be doing a book signing (with a limited amount of sets for sale) on April 23rd.

Good hunting!

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 22nd, 2018, 5:26 pm

James Alan noted today on the Cafe:

We are pleased to announce that The Magic of Johnny Thompson is now sold out, and officially out of print. Although individual dealers may still have individual copies in stock, so if you look quickly you may still be able to get one. Because of the size of the book, we're unsure yet if there will be a reprint.

Thank you to everyone who has made it such a success, most of all Johnny.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » April 22nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

Good to see the market for magic books is looking better. I am hoping the average magic consumer is starting to get bored of downloads.

Much better to invest in something that will provide education and pleasure for years to come.

Return to “Buzz”