Reminder: "Fool Us!" starts new season tonight! 7_13

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Reminder: "Fool Us!" starts new season tonight! 7_13

Postby erdnasephile » July 13th, 2017, 7:33 pm

On the CW 8:00 PM EST/7:00 PM central.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: Reminder: "Fool Us!" starts new season tonight! 7_13

Postby I.M. Magician » July 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Thank you for the reminder erdnasephile.

WHAT A TREAT! My my...it's like I always say, there are lots of magicians but only a handful of really truly great ones. Richard Turner is certainly one of them!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 22nd, 2017, 11:09 am

Richard Turner is great--have seen that routine standing right in front of him, and Teller's face mirrored my own personal reactions. Just stunning.

I was pleasantly surprised by Kayla Drescher. (I had seen her years before and she's matured as a performer). Sweet, funny routine, helped in no small part by Teller's acting skills. Still, a very shrewd choice on her part, and her method of ditching the gaff made me laugh. Could have been overly maudlin, but she hit just the right tone. Well played.

In week 2, I thought Jonathan Burns won the night. Smart and hilarious--good premise, callbacks, and a quick wit. The trick was only "Ho Hum" for me (I could hear Bob White screaming in my head: "The hand has to come back up!"), but I had a ball watching.

One thing I noticed is that they've seemed to go to the judges more often to determine whether or not P & T were fooled. This seems smart to me, as some contestants don't seem to know (or don't want to admit) when they've been beat.

I hate to say it, but Hannigan continues to prove herself the weak link. Awkward, unfunny--everything just seems forced. She just looks like she doesn't want to be there.

Season is off to a fine start--glad it's back!

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » August 5th, 2017, 5:36 am

I was surprised when Penn & Teller failed to spot the Tamariz displacement ruse when Siegfreid Tieber performed an updated version of Tamariz's Neither Blind nor Stupid.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 5th, 2017, 9:06 am

Hmmm....I haven't seen this weeks episode yet, so I'll watch for that.

I just saw last week's episode. Shim Lim is fun to watch, and I remain impressed that the black art can look that good on a bright stage in HDTV. It really fools and kudos to the magic and stage crew for working that out so well. Although I did prefer his first turn on Fool Us (because it involved spectators and the theme seemed a little more cohesive), I still enjoyed this second routine. I am very familiar with hand injuries, and it is impressive (and a testament to some really hard work in PT) to get as much recovery as rapidly as he has. (BTW, who are these pessimistic naysayer docs who invariably seem to have given dire predictions to those who make impressive recoveries? In my experience, these hope-stealers aren't as common as they are portrayed to be.)

However, the big highlight for me was watching Teller doing Tomsoni---brilliant!!!! (I wonder whose idea that was...It was a real treat to watch one master's tribute to another.)

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » August 5th, 2017, 10:41 am

During Shin Lim's second performance on Fool Us, some unintended magic occurs. His shirt sleeves magically move up and down his arm. This indicates that Shin's performance was shot at least twice and then edited together for broadcast. That suggests that something went wrong during the first take, necessitating a second take.

So, P&T only saw, and were fooled by, Shin's "good" performance? How did they not see his "bad" performance, which may not have fooled them? Clearly, P&T saw a different performance than was seen by home viewers. I'm so confused and distraught! What foul manner of dual-reality witchcraft is at play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIlxCh ... be&t=3m23s

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 5th, 2017, 11:31 am

It's common in non-live tv shows to shoot all the close-ups in the final rehearsal then shoot all the wide shots in the official taping, that's why you'll see a show jumping from close to wide shots and the 3 cameras who seconds earlier must have been on the stage are nowhere to be seen.

Likewise audience reaction shots are almost always staged (the warm-up or floor manager will ask an audience to "practice looking surprised" and that is recorded) so that you don't waste resources having 3 cameras in the audience filming reactions hoping to get a good one.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 5th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Richard Stokes wrote:I was surprised when Penn & Teller failed to spot the Tamariz displacement ruse when Siegfreid Tieber performed an updated version of Tamariz's Neither Blind nor Stupid.

+1

Damn fine variation of both the trick, and of Juan's persona. I'd like to see more of this guy...

JHostler

Postby JHostler » August 6th, 2017, 12:06 am

Bill Duncan wrote:
Richard Stokes wrote:I was surprised when Penn & Teller failed to spot the Tamariz displacement ruse when Siegfreid Tieber performed an updated version of Tamariz's Neither Blind nor Stupid.

+1

Damn fine variation of both the trick, and of Juan's persona. I'd like to see more of this guy...

+2. Fun seeing P&T fooled by something so simple. Still, it'd be nice to see Siegfreid ditch the JT impersonation. ("YES!!!")

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 6th, 2017, 2:30 am

Penn & Teller missed the secret of the trick because they went down a different path of thinking. In a previous season they were fooled by a Simon Aronson effect which I spotted right away. (That doesn't make me even close to being as smart as them; it was a trick that I know and love and made the connection.)

As for the edits, a friend who will appear later this season said that some of the rehearsal footage might be inserted into the final airing. Also, there are more than three cameras; I think there are eight.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » August 7th, 2017, 10:20 am

The production schedule for Fool Us is brutal. The crew is in theater for thirteen days. We record sixty-two magicians and thirteen P&T hunks in six-and-a-half days. To make sure there is video coverage of everything the director needs, the camera rehearsal is recorded. In particular, the director uses the camera rehearsal to get Steadicam footage.

So, I hate to burst Tom Frame's wonderful conspiratorial ponderings, but there was no botched performance. Shin nailed it both times. The only glitch was in continuity with the condition of his sleeves.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » August 7th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Michael Close wrote:... and thirteen P&T hunks ...

Creating a new show to compete with the Magic Mike Live show in LV?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » August 8th, 2017, 1:09 am

erdnasephile wrote: snip...

I hate to say it, but Hannigan continues to prove herself the weak link. Awkward, unfunny--everything just seems forced. She just looks like she doesn't want to be there.

I have to disagree here. I feel that Alyson Hannigan is a perfect hostess. I enjoy her contribution to the show and would be sad to see her go. I think that she makes an excellent MC.
Jim

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 11th, 2017, 11:48 am

I do that Ms. Hannigan did a very nice job during David Parr's piece last night. She was funny, engaging, and added a lot to the performance.

(PS: FWIW, I reallly liked David Parr's spot. The presentation was charming and the effect was crystal clear. I could be totally off, but I think the underlying method adheres closely to something published in an early 90's magazine column. Nevertheless, it was really fun to watch and fooled my peeps pretty badly.)

(PPS: While we're talkin': I'm a little surprised as to why Siegfreid Tieber didn't throw in the Mr. Tamariz's final shuffle. When I've performed NBNS, I've sometimes had people burst out laughing/gasping when that last shuffle demolishes their theories about how the trick works. For me, it's a high point of the routine. Perhaps it was omitted for dramatic and/or time purposes.)

Return to “Buzz”