Helping a Legend

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rick Maue

Helping a Legend

Postby Rick Maue » January 30th, 2017, 7:26 pm

MAGICIANS & MENTALISTS: Please take a minute to read the following:

One of the best magic shops on the planet is facing an immediate emergency...and you can help. Denny Haney, of Denny & Lee’s, has spent the past few months reorganizing and downsizing (including shutting down his Las Vegas location). He has been able to basically get even with his creditors. But, in the process of clearing up just about all of his bills, he has gotten behind on his rent. In short, he has handled more than 50% of the rent situation, but he just got word this morning that he has to come up with $10,000 in three days, otherwise he will be evicted.

Please understand, Denny has made great strides in streamlining the business. With almost no remaining bills, and all of his stock paid for, EVERY sale is 100% profit. That said, I am asking every magician and mentalist I know to buy something from Denny TODAY (or tomorrow) in order to give him a real chance at making his recent restructuring efforts pay off.

In short, through the years, Denny has helped too many magicians and mentalists to count. If he was forced to close, it would not only be a tragedy for him, it would also be a tragedy for our art form. So, please, buy something from http://www.dennymagic.com today.

Finally, PLEASE share this post with all of your friends in magic..

Thanks so very much.

performer

Re: Helping a Legend

Postby performer » January 30th, 2017, 11:17 pm

I suppose the moral of the tale is never open a magic shop, particularly nowadays with the competition from the dreaded internet. And the overheads are so high too. I have often marvelled at the fact that I can often take in more profit with a single trick (the svengali deck) than a full scale magic shop with hundreds of different items. The magic shop can take in more money but they have higher overheads than I do. And yet, sometimes the svengali deck alone will even take in more money than an entire shop might. With less overheads too.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 31st, 2017, 1:59 am

Thank you, Mr. Maue...I'll give Mr. Haney a call tomorrow.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » January 31st, 2017, 1:17 pm

How terrible, I just bought something from him the other day. I have dealt with him a few time and he had always been so nice to talk to.
I have spoken to a few owners of Magic shops and most of them have decided to just sell online now, no overheads.
I will have another look and see if i can buy anything else off him.

Rick Maue

Postby Rick Maue » February 2nd, 2017, 4:09 pm

Greetings once again.

Thanks to the generosity of many wonderful folks, Denny has been swamped with orders over the past few days. He is thrilled...and he is also beyond grateful. However, please understand, Denny is single-handedly processing, packing, and shipping all of the orders (and there are hundreds). That said, PLEASE BE PATIENT. It is going to take quite some time for him to get everything out the door.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my initial plea. (And a very special "Thank You" to the folks who set up the GoFundMe page.) At this point, the wolf is no longer at the door. But that doesn't mean everything is great. There is still a lot of reorganizing and downsizing to do...and it is also very important for all of us to continue to support Denny, as well as all other brick and mortar shops.

With all of that said, I have one final person to thank:

Thank you, Denny, for being there for so many of us through the decades. I'm so glad we could all be there for you this time.

Keep the change,
Rick

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 3rd, 2017, 11:05 am

This does my heart good. When I first saw Rick's post, it immediately motivated me to patronize Denny. It is fantastic to see that so many of the members here have had compassion and would not think of letting him go under if they could prevent it - which apparently they have. The Genii Forum is a wonderful medium of expression, and for the sharing of ideas and information, and now, because of its far reaching tentacles, it has been indispensable in facilitating the rescue of one of magic's greatest benefactors and legends.

Return to “Buzz”