The December Digital Issue of Genii is Now Online and in the Mail

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The December Digital Issue of Genii is Now Online and in the Mail

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 18th, 2016, 11:24 am

The end of 2016 is nigh: The air has cleared, the dust has settled, and Genii is now once again the sole independent printed magic magazine in the United States, albeit with a spiffy 21st century digital twist.
Next month, John Bannon, one of the most popular creators of card magic today, begins a series on pasteboard wizardry with an accompanying video each month; Mike Caveney will bring his column from MAGIC magazine, “Classic Correspondence,” to Genii and now alternate months with John Gaughan’s “Chamber of Secrets”; ditto for Martin Lewis’s “Making Magic, an excellent exploration of DIY conjuring from one of our most creator thinkers.

And there’s more: through a deal with Stan Allen, Genii will be pleased to add many of MAGIC magazine’s existing subscribers starting with our January issue, who will fill out their remaining issues in this, our happy home. We welcome them. For those who have always wanted a digital archive of MAGIC magazine similar to the now 79 volumes of Genii that are available to all of our subscribers online free of charge, sometime in the first quarter of 2017 we will bring you all 301 issues of MAGIC in digital form on our online archive.

This issue our cover is adorned by the remarkable Julie Eng. Lest. As the author of our piece, David Ben, aptly points out, not only is Julie a beloved figure and an accomplished magicienne, she also possesses the near superhuman ability to get almost anything that comes her way DONE. Yes, all caps for emphasis. She does much good work for kids, seniors, and behind-the-scenes good deeds for magicians that goes unheralded—but the word is now officially out.

Earlier this year The Metropolitan Museum of Art threw a bash with the title “The World in Play: Luxury Cards, 1430-1540,” at the museum’s uptown sanctuary, The Cloisters. Strolling magic was performed at the opening, with many of the earliest known playing cards on display. Carl Mercurio reports on the exhibit, accompanied by beautiful photos of the oldest playing cards you’ve probably ever seen.
Many excellent columns fill the pages this month, perhaps the most unique being a challenge between Jonathan Pendragon and Tom Stone over who could come up with the best (most original?) use for Tom Stone’s Factory Blanks deck of cards. While the deck appears blank on both sides to anyone standing three or four feet away, a spectator standing up close can see the faces of the cards. Anywho, you get to vote on which trick is the best use of the cards on the Genii Forum. (And if you’re a subscriber of the paper edition, you will receive a sample of the card from a Factory Blank deck)

Also present this month is “Magicana” from John Guastaferro, “Conjuring” from Jim Steinmeyer, “Hidden Treasures” from Bob Read, “The Chamber of Secrets” from John Gaughan, “You Are All Terrible” (he doesn’t really mean it) from Harrison Greenbaum, and Eugene Burger, Jon Racherbaumer, and Helder Guimarães. Reviews are by Kainoa Harbottle (who really likes The Jerx Book, and I bet this is the only printed review you’re going to read), Nathan Coe Marsh (who really likes Juan Tamariz), and Danny Orleans (who really likes pizza).
Join us at Genii! http://www.geniimgazine.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Julie Eng

Re: The December Digital Issue of Genii is Now Online and in the Mail

Postby Julie Eng » November 18th, 2016, 11:59 am

Team Genii: Thank you, so much, for giving me the honour to be on this month's cover of Genii! I can't express how overwhelmed I am and deeply touched by all who contributed with kind words and support - especially to the author, David Ben. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 18th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
And there’s more: through a deal with Stan Allen, Genii will be pleased to add many of MAGIC magazine’s existing subscribers starting with our January issue, who will fill out their remaining issues in this, our happy home. We welcome them. For those who have always wanted a digital archive of MAGIC magazine similar to the now 79 volumes of Genii that are available to all of our subscribers online free of charge, sometime in the first quarter of 2017 we will bring you all 301 issues of MAGIC in digital form on our online archive.

Wow! Wow! What a GREAT bonus and massive added value--best bargain in magic. IMHO, any serious magician really should be subscribing if at all possible.

Thank you so much, Richard, Stan, Randy, and everyone else involved!

prace

Postby prace » November 18th, 2016, 12:52 pm

This magazine (and now all of the back issues) flip and load incredibly quickly. Love it.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » November 18th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Nice to see a review of Andy's book.

Cheers, Richard!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Julie Eng wrote:Team Genii: Thank you, so much, for giving me the honour to be on this month's cover of Genii! I can't express how overwhelmed I am and deeply touched by all who contributed with kind words and support - especially to the author, David Ben. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I wish you folks up north would learn how to spell "honor." You have been separated from England for a looonnnngggg time, :lol:

JimW

Postby JimW » November 18th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Is anyone able to play the video content? I just get a grey screen with an X in the upper right corner. I also tried playing a video from last month's issue, which used to work, but the same thing is happening.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » November 18th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Hi JimW.

If I click over a video button without zooming in (I mean, when the screen shows both pages) I receive the grey screen with X button.
If I zoom in and then click over the video button I can play it.

Using Chrome 54.0.2840.99 m over Windows 10
Andres Reynoso

JimW

Postby JimW » November 18th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Hey, that worked! Thanks for the tip.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 18th, 2016, 3:52 pm

You should not have to zoom in in order to view video content. I don't have that problem with either Chrome or Firefox.

Do you have a pop-up blocker on?

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » November 18th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Wow, the Harapan Ong effect in Magicana looks fantastic. Bravo to John G for taking over the reins there!

Loved Jon Racherbaumer's in-depth analysis of David Blaine's performance for Jimmy Fallon and the Roots. That was a terrific audio column.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Had a chance to read David Ben's feature on Julie Eng. In these challenging times, it's so nice to read such a positive article about a genuinely kind and generous person. She sounds like someone I would very much enjoy meeting one day.

PS: Video works fine in MS Edge and Firefox.

Return to “Buzz”