David Penn's puff piece on Criss Angel

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

David Penn's puff piece on Criss Angel

Postby CraigMitchell » November 2nd, 2016, 4:20 pm

If you ever want to read a puff piece on Criss Angel - David Penn does the honours ( along with lots of fawning that Vanish Magazine was selected for this 'exclusive' )

David Penn writes "you've achieved more than any other magician has ever achieved" which blows his credibility completely out the water ...

https://joom.ag/2yGQ

Of interest though, Criss does mention "I just don't know if I wanna be in Vegas doing this for 5 more years"

And this gem:

"Q: How would you like magicians to remember you
A: I think magicians, by a large won't appreciate my contribution to magic until I'm dead, because when people die, like Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley and other people that really changed the landscape of their art form, they're not really appreciated. A lot of people go against them, and try to detract their success because of their own envy and jealousy ... what matters to me, is that I'm true to myself and I've done and have been the best that I can be as a human being, and as an artist. If magicians don't want to acknowledge that, that's their prerogative..."

Bill Mullins

Re: David Penn's puff piece on Criss Angel

Postby Bill Mullins » November 2nd, 2016, 4:42 pm

Elvis wasn't appreciated until after he died?

50,000,000 Elvis fans might disagree.

performer

Postby performer » November 2nd, 2016, 9:09 pm

Oh, I think Criss Angel could do with a puff piece. I wouldn't begrudge him one. After all he gets so few of them..............................

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 2nd, 2016, 10:30 pm

david penn cares about one thing and one thing only - david penn. he would literally prop up a confused, dying man to make himself look less like the unethical creep that he is.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 3rd, 2016, 4:19 am

There are few places for Criss Angel to appear in a magic magazine, so the Vanish story must feel good to him. Unfortunately, the free magazine is worth every penny it charges.

Matt Field

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » November 3rd, 2016, 7:55 am

He had credibility?

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » November 3rd, 2016, 8:16 pm

performer wrote:Oh, I think Criss Angel could do with a puff piece. I wouldn't begrudge him one. After all he gets so few of them..............................

Criss puffs a lot of pieces.

performer

Postby performer » November 3rd, 2016, 10:06 pm

I am not a particular fan of the gentleman because I understand he uses profanity on stage and I am most disapproving of the matter. The SECOND you use bad language on stage or seamy "humour" is the second you become a bad magician.

However, to be fair virtually every famous magician gets torn to pieces by not only other magicians but by the public at large. Everyone from Paul Daniels to David Copperfield so it is par for the course.

Try this experiment. Type in the name of any noted Vegas magician on Trip Advisor and see the reviews. It is quite an eye opener no matter who the performer is. Bad review after bad review. Very entertaining to read if you have a cynical mind like myself.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » November 4th, 2016, 2:33 am

To deviate slightly ... seems DC's email prediction went amiss recently according to TripAdvisor review ... would not want to be the employee responsible ;-)

"David did a series of cool "old school" type of magic tricks and they were professionally done. His back story of how he became a magician ran throughout the show and that provides continuity. We would have given him four stars, but they made a major mistake in sending out the "prediction of what will happen" email for the second show of the night and not our show. Sending the wrong email is a big screw up ...
Visited October 2016"

performer

Postby performer » November 4th, 2016, 5:39 am

It seems that my trip advisor suggestion has been taken up.

Return to “Buzz”