The onerous restrictions on new Repro Magic digital product

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Steve Mills

The onerous restrictions on new Repro Magic digital product

Postby Steve Mills » March 29th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I'm not a collector of much, but I do like magazine compilations and sets like the Harris, Sankey etc books. I was quite interested in the new stuff from Repro, until I read the restrictions:

When you click to purchase this downloadable PDF digital file you are paying for the one time usage legal license to print your own physical hard copy of this book out by agreeing to the terms and conditions of sale that are stated below and which by purchasing you will be agreeing to abide by as follows:

* That by purchasing you agree that you must not in any manner at any time share the digital PDF file that you have downloaded and gained one time only legal rights to print out in physical form.

* That by purchasing you agree that you must print this PDF file out into physical form within 28 days maximum of making your purchase.

* That by purchasing you agree to delete fully from your computer or other electronic devices the digital file once you have printed out the physical copy for which you have purchased legal license to print out one copy for your own personal usage.

* That by purchasing you agree never to give away, lend out, rent, swap, trade or sell the physical copy to any other individual as by purchasing you agreed that it was always for your own eyes and personal ownership only.

It also says it is a DRM download, so I don't know what other heinous copy protection is involved, but I have NO interest, especially for $125. I can't even sell my one copy I'm allowed to print within 28 days!

I understand trying to protest intellectual property, but I think they have gone way too far. I'm not even sure the purchaser can continue to access the pdf after the 28 days. I'm wondering if there's a time bomb involved.

I can't believe this will be much of a success, but I'm an old guy and have been fooled many, many times.

lybrary

Re: The onerous restrictions on new Repro Magic digital product

Postby lybrary » March 29th, 2016, 7:08 pm

This product by Jonathan Royle is unlicensed and infringes my rights. I purchased the exclusive digital rights from Mike Danata in 2010. I offer the entire Club 71 as a PDF download for just $99 http://www.lybrary.com/club-71-1970-200 ... 10054.html There is no DRM with my PDFs.

So pretty much everything is better in my offering. It is cheaper, it includes all pages of Club 71/The Magician (almost 14,000 pages), it is a licensed product and I am sure the quality is far superior, too. In any case, I have been informed by Jonathan Royle that he has pulled the products from Murphy's and that these cannot be purchased anymore.

Get them from the source you can trust: Lybrary.com. I offer more than 60 digital magic magazines. All acquired fair and square by either purchasing or licensing the rights, unless the magazine is already in the public domain. Take a look here if you would like to browse http://www.lybrary.com/magic-magazines- ... 21_36.html

It is important to note that also CARC is currently infringing my copyrights. They are for example offering Pabular to their subscribers. Martin Breese purchased Pabular from Nick Bolton and I purchased it from Martin. CARC does not have permission to make it available, yet they do. Think about this if you are using CARC and ask Kalush to stop infringing copyrights.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Re: The onerous restrictions on new Repro Magic digital product

Postby Leo Garet » March 30th, 2016, 7:05 am

lybrary wrote:Get them from the source you can trust: Lybrary.com.

Always.
As for Jonathan Royle....

Return to “Buzz”