Irene Larsen, 1936 – 2016

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Irene Larsen, 1936 – 2016

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2016, 8:28 pm

From Erika Larsen:

It is with the greatest sorrow imaginable, that we announce the passing of my beautiful, beloved mother, Irene Larsen. She left us suddenly, but not before touching many, many lives deeply and permanently. She was grace personified. Her love is all around us. She will be missed forever. The family is grieving, and we appreciate your kind words and we know you are hurting too. We will never stop celebrating Princess Irene.

Brad Henderson

Irene Larsen has passed away

Postby Brad Henderson » February 25th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Erika Larsen's Facebook feed has announced that Irene passed away.

Jim Patton, Tom Mullica, and now Irene.

let's hope the rule of three holds for a while.

Magic Newswire

Re: Irene Larsen, 1936 – 2016

Postby Magic Newswire » February 25th, 2016, 8:50 pm

I heard this from a good friend in tears when they shared it with me several hours ago and was told that the word wasn't out yet.

What a sad week for Magic. So far, 2016 is sucking

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 25th, 2016, 8:59 pm

The terrible news just keeps coming. I believe that Irene was born the same month as the first issue of Genii magazine, so they were exactly the same age.

Jonathan Pendragon

Irene

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » February 25th, 2016, 9:05 pm

The most magical scene in the film The Prestige has nothing to do with illusion. A cynical theater booker witnesses Hugh Jackman vanish and replies that it's half a trick, "you need a prestige", said as he slowly begins to realize that Hugh Jackman is standing behind him. There is awe and immediate recognition of true magic, that was pretty much everyones reaction upon meeting Irene Larsen.

I met her and Bill at the Magic Castle when I became a member in 1974. We became good friends at first sight and nothing changed, just the opposite. Throughout my life she was my magical mother. I still write for the magazine she mothered through many a birth and perform at the club she adored, partially out of love for her and her family. West too, feels a great loss as her friend, but also for magic. That latin word I keep trying to get you to say, Sui Genaris? Now would be a good time.

JP

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2016, 9:15 pm

I've known about this for a few hours, but can only post now.

Irene Larsen died peacefully this morning.

She lived a full life and was loved by everyone I can think of.

A collective melancholy grips the world of magic and all her friends.

Our condolences to Erika, Liberty, Dante, and Heidi, and the rest of the Larsen family.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » February 26th, 2016, 12:26 am

So sorry to hear about this. I have been reading about Irene and the rest of the Larsen family in Milt's book, My Magical Journey. I know she will be greatly missed.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 26th, 2016, 12:37 am

Another sad day. She truly was #1 at the Magic Castle.

The email from the AMA mentions "The family has asked that in leui of flowers, donations be made to Last Chance for Animals, or any animal welfare organization of your choice. Irene supported them all."

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » February 26th, 2016, 1:21 am

My condolences to the Larsen family and all of Irene's many friends. Truly sad news.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 26th, 2016, 1:33 am

Irene was truly one of the 'greats' in the world of magic. Loved by all, she was Princess Irene in every sense of the word. She will be missed.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 26th, 2016, 3:24 am

I am terribly saddened to read this. I had the honor of interviewing Irene, along with Erika Larsen and Richard Kaufman, on stage at the first Genii Bash in 2012. I have a great respect for Irene, in no small part because of her work keeping Genii Magazine going after the death of her husband, Bill.

She was a beautiful, smart, funny woman who was a central part of the Academy of Magic Arts at The Magic Castle. She was very kind to me.

She will be missed. Condolences to Erika, Dante and the extended Castle family.

Matt Field

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » February 26th, 2016, 6:51 am

I never knew Irene as a personal friend but she always made me feel like I one of hers. When I joined the Academy and made my first trip to the Castle several years ago, I received an incredibly warm welcome from Irene - and that was all before I told her that I was a new member. All I said was "hello" as I passed her while folks were mingling in the Inner Circle, not wanting to bother her. But instead of me moving on (as I was doing), she grabbed my arm, pulled me back (very gently, of course) and started telling me how good it was to have me there, to really make sure that enjoyed myself, and to let her know if there was anything she could do for me. It was only then that I told her that I was new member and finally fulfilling a childhood dream of becoming a member of the Academy and that I was making my first visit to the Magic Castle. She lit up like I had just given her the greatest gift she had ever received - and her delight was deeply sincere. There was absolutely no mistaking it. I knew that I had found my magic home and my magic mother.

I recently saw her at the Magic Castle again over the Mystery School weekend in January and received the same warm welcome as I always did. I never dreamed that it would be the last time I would see her. If there were special dispensations from a higher power to grant eternal life to people so that they could continue to do the good work on earth that they had been doing, Irene certainly deserved one of them.

My condolences and sympathies go out to the entire Larsen family, all of Irene's closest friends, and the magical community.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 26th, 2016, 8:24 am

Very sad news. I thank RK for bringing her to the Genii Bash. I got to meet her and say hello. It was actually one of my many personal highlights of that convention.

WolfgangWollet
Favorite Magician: Moretti

Postby WolfgangWollet » February 26th, 2016, 4:40 pm

2016 is off to a very rough start and this news hits home.

Irene was so personable and funny, it was always a pleasure speaking with her at the conventions or when visiting the castle. No matter how busy she was you always had the feeling she had time set aside just to speak with you. I knew her brother in Germany and remember how truly devastated she was for many years after he passed away very sudden after the German FISM convention years ago.

Rest in peace Irene, I will miss your charming personality, witty comments and chance to speak German at magic conventions. I smile at the memories. Wolf

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 26th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Posted on Boing Boing: link

F.Amílcar
Favorite Magician: J. N. Hofzinser

Postby F.Amílcar » February 27th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Dear friends in magic,

We have lost one of the most beloved woman in the magic world in all senses.

Our most sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Truly yours,

F. Amílcar Riega i Bello.

Return to “Buzz”