Marcelo Mauras rumored to be stealing videos.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Marcelo Mauras rumored to be stealing videos.

Postby MaxNY » January 18th, 2016, 9:58 am

Some magician name Marcelo Mauras (Spanish) is rumored to be stealing my magic videos off my You-Tube site, and then calling them his own. How do I know this? I spent 30 years in NYC television/post production, and "His" videos have the exact same drop-outs as mine. Shame. Anybody who is friends with him can please tell him to stop stealing videos. My collection of magicians on televised shows is vast, and many are rare, with me probably being the only person in the World with copies. I don't claim to own the rights to any of these, but I do pride myself on owning the best copy, restored by me, the same person who has restored all of David Bowie, John Lennon, Andy Warhol, Jimi Hendricks, and Calvin Klein's video library. To view the original Johnny Hart Video, including a quick cameo by Bill Cosby, watch the best quality here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tnlopTpbF8

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Re: Marcelo Mauras rumored to be stealing videos.

Postby mr_goat » January 18th, 2016, 10:04 am

So someone stole the videos you stole?
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » January 18th, 2016, 10:38 am

Again with the Goat. Somebody stole the videos that, I researched to find if they even exist, then stole time from my company using the very latest in video restoration machines (also stolen), to post them to You-Tube, to have them stolen and then fudged with the CODECS to result in a far less quality then I was proud to have found. Yes.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » January 18th, 2016, 12:06 pm

MaxNY wrote:Again with the Goat. Somebody stole the videos that, I researched to find if they even exist, then stole time from my company using the very latest in video restoration machines (also stolen), to post them to You-Tube, to have them stolen and then fudged with the CODECS to result in a far less quality then I was proud to have found. Yes.

I don't get it. You do not own the rights to these videos. It doesn't matter if you spent time doing restoration or not. You stole them and put them up on the internet.

Now you are annoyed someone else stole what you have stolen, but created a lower quality version than the one you stole?

Why not call the Piracy Police see if they can help?

"Hello, I stole some videos and now I am annoyed someone else has stolen what I stole, can you help?"

Let us know what they say.

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » January 18th, 2016, 12:55 pm

EITHER: the videos are not in the public domain, in which case neither you, nor Marcelo have the right to post them on youtube.

OR: the videos are in the public domain, which would mean that anyone can use them.

Nothing you have mentioned would entitle you to any ownership of the videos, so no theft.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » January 18th, 2016, 1:34 pm

OK, Fair enough. I have no right. From now on, nothing else I have restored or fixed, or transferred, will be posted to You-Tube. Thanks for clarifying legal technicalities for me.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » January 18th, 2016, 2:42 pm

MaxNY wrote: Thanks for clarifying legal technicalities for me.

You're welcome.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 18th, 2016, 6:25 pm

mr_goat wrote:I don't get it. You do not own the rights to these videos. It doesn't matter if you spent time doing restoration or not. You stole them and put them up on the internet.

EXCEPT, many of the videos Max posts are small excerpts of larger shows, and are Fair Use.

"Stealing" isn't nearly as black and white as you are making it out to be. Given that it is so easy for a rights-holder to get a video pulled off youtube, I've got to believe that for the vast majority of the clips he has posted, the real owners simply don't give a rat's ass as to what he is doing.

Of course, if you and Bill McC have been designated "copyright police" by the producers of all these shows, then I'll admit I'm wrong here.

I for one like seeing the little magic moments he has found and posted, and I hope he doesn't give up doing so.

And as to whether or not Mauras is (by the legal definition) "stealing" his videos, certainly not. But it is bad form to do what Max says he is doing. Just as, if I watched one of Damien's tricks off youtube and did it for another audience verbatim. It wouldn't be "stealing", but it would be wrong.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » January 18th, 2016, 7:22 pm

I'm glad we could all have a forum to post a few questions about the legality of videos in question. First and foremost I will state for the record, I do not have the rights to any of the magicians featured on the Mike Douglas show. Within that knowledge, run with me a mile. Some person once taught me that the owner of a negative owns the rights to that photograph. Apples and Oranges, I know, but hold on, there is more. In the 1970's Quad videotape was mainstreamed. these were 60 pound rolls of Ferrous Oxide, (magnets). The little Ferrous fairies charged a lot to sprinkle their little dust of iron onto acetate. Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas, Joe Franklin and others were too cheap to keep the tapes once it was recorded on, and usually had a rotation of about 30 pieces. The genuine thing about videotape was...you could just record over it! Then around 1974 some families plunked down about $1,800 for a Betamax machine, and could record shoes off the TV. Betamax tapes even cost about $20 a tape! So, maybe the owner's of the Mike Douglas Show don't even have a copy of the shows they once Produced. This is often the case... Along comes a Magician who's entire career has been collecting, restoring, and slowly leaking a few nuggets onto You-Tube for all to enjoy...I'm just asking that people re-post my links, and many have, or asked permission first. This fella, lifted a piece (that may not exist besides the copy I have) and steered others to his site. THEY HAVE MY DROPOUTS ON THEM! Darn, and I'm sitting on some nice Ricky Jay stuff too. Sit Maxy sit.

performer

Postby performer » January 18th, 2016, 7:37 pm

MaxNY wrote:I'm glad we could all have a forum to post a few questions about the legality of videos in question. First and foremost I will state for the record, I do not have the rights to any of the magicians featured on the Mike Douglas show. Within that knowledge, run with me a mile. Some person once taught me that the owner of a negative owns the rights to that photograph. Apples and Oranges, I know, but hold on, there is more. In the 1970's Quad videotape was mainstreamed. these were 60 pound rolls of Ferrous Oxide, (magnets). The little Ferrous fairies charged a lot to sprinkle their little dust of iron onto acetate. Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas, Joe Franklin and others were too cheap to keep the tapes once it was recorded on, and usually had a rotation of about 30 pieces. The genuine thing about videotape was...you could just record over it! Then around 1974 some families plunked down about $1,800 for a Betamax machine, and could record shoes off the TV. Betamax tapes even cost about $20 a tape! So, maybe the owner's of the Mike Douglas Show don't even have a copy of the shows they once Produced. This is often the case... Along comes a Magician who's entire career has been collecting, restoring, and slowly leaking a few nuggets onto You-Tube for all to enjoy...I'm just asking that people re-post my links, and many have, or asked permission first. This fella, lifted a piece (that may not exist besides the copy I have) and steered others to his site. THEY HAVE MY DROPOUTS ON THEM! Darn, and I'm sitting on some nice Ricky Jay stuff too. Sit Maxy sit.

I am completely on your side. I am quite sure that legally you don't have a leg to stand on but that is not the point. It just isn't very nice for people to do it to you. But then, you have to face reality. Sadly there are a LOT of not very nice people in magic, some of them disgustingly so. However, Karma eventually catches up on them.

Return to “Buzz”