Masuda's Liberty Vanish

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

Masuda's Liberty Vanish

Postby P.T.Widdle » December 11th, 2015, 11:31 am

Brad Henderson

Re: Masuda's Liberty Vanish

Postby Brad Henderson » December 11th, 2015, 11:55 am

the vanishing Statue of Liberty is not nearly as well known as it used to be. I seldom encounter anyone under 30 who is familiar with copperfield's original illusion.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 11th, 2015, 12:00 pm

People are going to want to inspect that "innocent" postcard. I suspect that's not an option. While this effect might be "easy" to perform, such audience management will prove quite the challenge except for the experienced (who probably wouldn't do the trick in the first place).

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 11th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Not pleased here. Sure the "vanish" of the image just next to your finger looks impressive. Maybe it's the recent news... not thrilled about the trick. Even with the statue. Kinda cringed with the line about the pocket.

The magician in me is thinking "visible leprechaun vanish" using what looks like the old picture puzzle but ... nah
I suppose the basic method could be applied to something more suitable, heck get a pic with your wife (significant other, dog, ...) and make up a good story.

How about a guy who takes a picture showing Godzilla rampaging in a city which gets "fixed" before he can show it to anyone?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » December 11th, 2015, 1:02 pm

The included statue figure is from one of those capsule/gumball machines found in Japan. They drop out at random which I guess is why they cannot tell you which figure you will receive. Perhaps someone went to one of those machines and began dropping coins into it to accumulate a quantity of them.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 11th, 2015, 1:08 pm

I also agree with JT about the pocket line. Is it meant to be sexual or just nonsensical?

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » December 11th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Since the Statue of Liberty that you vanish doesn't look much like the one you produce from your pocket or wherever, why even bother?

You might as well vanish the two of diamonds and then reach in your pocket and pull out two physical "diamonds" - or do the ten of hearts and use ten Sweetheart candies when it's around Valentine's Day to get the same kind of disjointed effect.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » December 11th, 2015, 2:19 pm

4D Surprise might be a good way to have the statue re-appear. And 4D comes with a nice statue.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 11th, 2015, 2:52 pm

There are several nice tricks on that seo magic webpage. thanks for the link.

I kinda like the green man business card item. Wondering if that design is okay to print up as a business card for handout.

Cartman's Tea Party is not exactly my preferred mode for magic.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 11th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Full props for the vanish, on camera, at least, it looks very good. That's 99% of the effect, you don't really need to pull the little statue out of your pocket.

And as to any issues of cultural insensitivity, meh. I figure it's payback for years of things like the Vanishing Buddha Sword Box.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 11th, 2015, 4:32 pm

what if this were a souvenir photo from your latest vacation that had been photo bombed? you flick it and the photo bomber disappears or is transported to another photo. perhaps into the iPhone pic you just took of yourself and your spectator?

Return to “Buzz”