WSJ on Magic Apps

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

WSJ on Magic Apps

Postby P.T.Widdle » November 25th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: WSJ on Magic Apps

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Hogwash. Chris Kenner's "Rising Card" is the best.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » November 26th, 2015, 5:52 am

Ear worm is without a doubt the best app I use.

Borrow a spectator's phone and open up youtube or spotify. Turn volume down, put in a song without them seeing, place their phone face down.

Ask them to name a song.

Turn up volume on phone (they can do this), their named song is playing.

Beats everything else I've seen hands down.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 26th, 2015, 6:59 am

Of all the apps and tricks that have been devised using cellphone technology, perhaps none are as amazing as this one ...

You remove a small devise from your pocket which is no larger than a deck of cards.

You have a spectator touch 10 numbers on the devise, and then wait ...

There is a brief pause ... and then they hear what seems to be a human voice.

It soon becomes clear that not only is it indeed a human voice, it is the voice of their Uncle Angelo, who lives halfway across the world.

They proceed to carry on a conversation, just as if he were standing right there in front of them.

If your looking for some killer magic, it doesn't get much stronger than this!

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 26th, 2015, 7:18 am

Brad -- that's amazing all right. My Uncle Angelo is in prison.

Matt Field

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » November 26th, 2015, 10:16 am

I'm not fond of magic that actually uses the technology (e.g., a selected card appears on the screen of a smartphone) versus magic where the technology is a prop (e.g., the vanish of a smartphone ... something we could actually use more of.) As Teller notes, it's too easy for the audience to presume that the technology IS the method responsible for the "magic" that they see happen. Even when they're 100% wrong about the method, the technology is an all-too-easy crutch for them to hang the mystery on - and no amount of telling them that "it's not an application on the phone!" will convince the majority of those predisposed to that otherwise.

Should science ever invent the Star Trek transporter and it become semi-available , I can unfortunately foresee audiences satisfactorily (in their own minds) chalking up all magic performances to the magician's use of a covert transporter.

Of course, long before that happens, I foresee a beaming frenzy breaking out (most likely seconds after they become available.) The first clown to learn to operate one will start by pranking his/her friends who will then go get a transporter so they can carry out a revenge prank. Then people will start beaming each other into undesirable locations like someone beaming a prudish person into a strip club, someone who's taking a shower to top of Mt. Everest, or someone who likes magic into the Luxor showroom on a non-dark night. Then it will descend into outright theft of property, cash, etc. and finally end when one person realizes that if they beam everyone else's transporters into the sun, they will be able to rule the planet in a very Governor Tarkin-esque manner.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » November 27th, 2015, 12:12 am

For something very cool with a borrowed iPhone, check out Michael Murray's 'Cal-Ender' or Gregory Wilson's 'Code Breaker' (independently created by Gregory, and the same effect/method as Cal-Ender).

Also, I'm a big fan of 'Earworm', 'Magic SMS' by Angelo Carbone, and Myke Phillips 'iUnlockYourMind'.

Return to “Buzz”