Martin Gardner's Impromptu PRINTED

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Re: Martin Gardner's Impromptu PRINTED

Postby erdnasephile » November 7th, 2015, 10:37 am

As an FYI: Miracle Factory confirms that all regular editions have shipped (some tracking emails returned "undelivered"). Deluxe editions to ship "in the next few weeks"

Still no joy at this residence, but fingers crossed.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 7th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Is this the deluxe edition?Image

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 7th, 2015, 1:46 pm

No. That's just a mockup of the cover done years ago.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » November 7th, 2015, 4:42 pm

What's a $20 shipping credit exactly?

It looks like Magic Inc are quoting the same international shipping cost as Miracle Factory.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 7th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:No. That's just a mockup of the cover done years ago.

And a much more beautiful cover it was. When I saw that ugly abstract blue cover for the published version, I decided to pass on this book.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

in that mockup art - is his ring on his fourth finger?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 7th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:in that mockup art - is his ring on his fourth finger?

Yeah, it's a pinky ring. He looks like Martin Nash, "The Charming Cheat" having a little fun with a lady. I love the art deco 1930s look of this illustration.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 7th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:

And a much more beautiful cover it was. When I saw that ugly abstract blue cover for the published version, I decided to pass on this book.

I didn't realize the Genii cover was the actual cover of the book. I prefer the original as well.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 7th, 2015, 9:00 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Leonard Hevia wrote:

I didn't realize the Genii cover was the actual cover of the book. I prefer the original as well.

Unfortunately Erdnasephile, as Flip Wilson used to say when he dressed as Geraldine, "What you see is what you get!":

http://miraclefactory.net/zenstore/inde ... ucts_id=78

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2015, 2:18 am

You're not buying the book because you don't like the new cover design by Steranko? That really is nonsensical.

performer

Postby performer » November 8th, 2015, 9:55 am

I can understand that. It wouldn't necessarily influence me personally but it is astonishing how a cover can have an impact on the sales of a book.

Actually on reflection I am lying. A cover WOULD influence me strongly on whether to purchase a book or not if I didn't know anything about the author already.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 8th, 2015, 11:58 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:You're not buying the book because you don't like the new cover design by Steranko? That really is nonsensical.

This book never appealed to me from the beginning. Tricks with paper clips, matches, and handkerchiefs have always underwhelmed me. When I started magic in 1977, I read those beginner matchstick and paper clip books and decided to skip it and dive into the Bill Tarr, Henry Hay, and...Kaufman books.

The only thing that could have motivated me to purchase Impromptu would have been a really nice cover like we saw here, (thank you Brad) and the Michael Weber annotations. Both are out of the equation. A musical instrument should be beautiful to look at and sound great. A book is no different.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 8th, 2015, 12:22 pm

If tricks with paperclips, handkerchiefs, and matches do not interest you, why would Michael Weber's annotations on tricks with paperclips, handkerchiefs, and matches interest you?

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 8th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:If tricks with paperclips, handkerchiefs, and matches do not interest you, why would Michael Weber's annotations on tricks with paperclips, handkerchiefs, and matches interest you?

Maybe it would change my mind. We've all had different perspectives make us look at things previously dismissed in a different way.

Next question...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 8th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
Dustin Stinett wrote:If tricks with paperclips, handkerchiefs, and matches do not interest you, why would Michael Weber's annotations on tricks with paperclips, handkerchiefs, and matches interest you?

Maybe it would change my mind. We've all had different perspectives make us look at things previously dismissed in a different way.

Next question...

See Stross on paperclips (entangled(destiny)) spooky. :D
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » November 8th, 2015, 5:57 pm

I'm curious whether there's any relation between Michael Weber's annotations originally intended for the Gardner Impromptu book and the many impromptu, Gardner-inspired items released via Real Secrets?

Given the long, seemingly stalled-out development of the Gardner book at the time Real Secrets was launched, I could understand if Weber repurposed and diverted the material he had prepared for it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2015, 6:17 pm

I would STRONGLY suggest that anyone avoid speculating as to why Michael Weber's material is not in the book. We have two differing stories about this from the parties involved, and the question will not be answered in a concrete way to anyone's satisfaction.

I saw very little in Real Secrets (most of which were specially prop-based tricks) that would have qualified for an Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.

Instead of wasting time with endless speculation that leads nowhere, I think we should spend our time actually reading the HUGE new edition of the book, which I saw the other day at the Los Angeles Conference on the History of Magic.

The book itself, as it now exists, is what should be your focus--is it worth it? Is the new material as good as the original entries? Would Martin Gardner be proud of the new addition?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 9th, 2015, 9:54 am

I got home from the History Conference last night, and stopped by my PO Box on the way home from the airport. No Gardner book. :evil:

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » November 9th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Received in Seattle this afternoon. What a beautiful book!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 11th, 2015, 5:11 am

Received in Manchester, England this morning.

The first main section of the book covers the original text. A later section of over 150 pages contains images of Gardner's notes written mostly on file cards and covering a range of subjects including impromptu magic. Gardner's writing isn't easy to read and with an average of eight file cards per page you will need patience and a powerful magnifying glass.

Another section covers Gardner's revisions of the original text. These should have been included in the main text as the pages he references pertain to the first edition, not this one. For example, a stunt with GLASS references page 178, item 63. In this new book, GLASS starts on page 205 and because the subsections have been re-numbered, no section goes higher than 31.

Now I understand why the cover has been changed to look like a puzzle. You are going to have to dig deep and need lots of patience to unearth, decipher and make sense of the additional material.

magicbern
Favorite Magician: Silly Billy, David Regal

Postby magicbern » November 12th, 2015, 7:36 pm

My copy of Impromptu arrived in Hong Kong and like others I'll save it under the Christmas tree and it will be half of my gift to myself! The other half? Richard Kaufmann's TENYOISM of course! :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 12th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Don't compare such a puny book to the mighty TENYOISM, weighing in at a majestic 20 pounds. :lol:

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 13th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Copy arrived in the Magic Forest here in Canada, November 12, 2015. Looks fantastic.

Thank you Todd.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » November 30th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 30th, 2015, 2:14 pm

I think the use of magic in this article is an example of an experience more likely to lead to someone deciding to start an exploration of magic than other examples where methods are exposed.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » November 30th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Oh no you don't.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » December 1st, 2015, 2:49 pm

The deluxe slipcover edition of Gardner's Impromptu arrived here in Charm City yesterday, nine years, nine months and two days from the ordering date of 28 February 2006. Packed like a Faberge egg, arrived in pristine condition.

I hope to find the time to actually read it now. :)

brian 8-)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 9th, 2015, 12:02 am

While you are taking a break from reading the new Impromptu book, you might enjoy this profile of Martin from Canadian TV. Part of it was filmed at one of the early Gatherings for Gardner, and it has comments from many of his magician friends (and math friends, and juggling friends, and artist friends . . . ).

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » December 9th, 2015, 3:49 am

Taped at the first Gathering for Gardner in 1993.

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » December 9th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Along with those classic blunders memorialized in sayings like "never get involved in a land war in Asia” and "never going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line” we should include “never argue facts with Max Maven”. However in all humility I must say that I believe I made this film in 1994 or 5 at the second (or third) Gathering for Gardner. And we showed a rough cut of the film at the opening of the next years event.

Whatever the year of its production, this films virtue resides in its wonderful cast of characters (including the inestimable Mr. Maven). It was an important film for me, a young (at the time) but lifelong devotee of magic and a huge (but innumerate) fan of Mr. Gardner. Many of the wonderful people who appeared in this film helped me with future projects; more importantly some even remain good friends. Among other things it reawakened my friendship with David Ben, who is seen levitating the film’s host David Suzuki in the credit sequence, and led to my film about the making of his stage show “The Conjuror”. “A Conjuror in the Making” aired on the CBC in Canada and A&E in the U.S. David also was key in the making of my film, "Dai Vernon: The Spirit of Magic". Max, and Persi once again were generous enough to appear on camera along with some others of magic’s living legends (on camera and behind the scenes). Directly, or indirectly it also opened the way for a number of Donna and my other productions including our films on Jeff McBride, Houdini, Stewart James, and of course the aforementioned godfather of soul (i mean mentalism) Max Maven.

A slightly stranger and notably sadder tale: Having not spoken to Martin for a few years I contacted him about filming a series of long interviews with him that might be used in a future project or at least maintained for archival purposes. By an odd chance I was almost simultaneously contacted by a colleague, George Paul Csicsery, who much more than I am, is one of the rare creatures that specialize in making math related films. We realized that we both had crews scheduled to film Martin — only a few weeks apart. We discussed sharing a single crew and splitting costs but finally decided we would stick to the plan but share each others footage. George wanted to interview him mostly about math and mathematicians (he hoped to have Persi and Ron Graham there to help out) and I was looking primarily for magic related stories to supplement what I had filmed years earlier (but which, being really only of interest to magicians, didn’t make it into the CBC film). As I recall, it was decided I’d go first and George and co. would do their interview a week later.

A day or two before heading out from Toronto got the call that Martin had died.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 9th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Daniel Z wrote:Along with those classic blunders memorialized in sayings like "never get involved in a land war in Asia” and "never going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line” we should include “never argue facts with Max Maven”.

A risky proposition indeed.

For those who aren't aware, "Daniel Z" is Daniel Zuckerbrot, a Canadian filmmaker whose body of work includes many items of direct interest to magicians.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 9th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Daniel, Where can one buy or view these videos? Seems to me you have a very marketable box set sitting right in front of you. (Assuming legal agreements would permit that.)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 9th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Daniel, Where can one buy or view these videos? Seems to me you have a very marketable box set sitting right in front of you. (Assuming legal agreements would permit that.)

Daniel would probably send you here.

Return to “Buzz”