Criss Angel cancels shows

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

Criss Angel cancels shows

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 24th, 2015, 5:27 pm

Sad news. Best wishes to Angel and his family:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/criss-angel- ... 00310.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Criss Angel cancels shows

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 24th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Did anyone even know he had a son in Australia? I did a bit of checking on the internet and there's plenty about his "celebrity" girlfriends but nothing about him having a child.

When I first met him, he was already married to Joanne, but they kept this a secret from everyone, including the crew, and she was pretending to be his assistant.

Strange guy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

keeper

Postby keeper » October 24th, 2015, 7:09 pm

I'm guessing if you are trying to appeal to a young female audience having a wife or kid might be a negative.
Every day is a magical adventure!

Al D'Alfonso

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 24th, 2015, 8:22 pm

As sad as this is, I really dislike the fact that all the press releases are focusing on one thing

"For the first time in seven years, Criss Angel is canceling some of his Las Vegas shows."

Which isn't even true! He cancelled a whole month in January last year,

"Criss Angel will undergo surgery in January 2014 to repair a shoulder injury.

Criss was initially diagnosed with a Supraspinatus tendon tear, superior labral anterior posterior tear and subscapularis strain, which took place over a year ago. He continued to perform throughout 2013 despite the trauma; in fact, he has not missed a show - over 2100 - since BeLIEve's premiere 5 years ago.

However, Criss exacerbated the injury during his recent double straightjacket escape in Times Square in New York City. He now has no choice but to have surgery to repair his shoulder and avoid permanent damage.

Thus, BeLIEve will not be performed in January 2014 in order to allow Criss to have the necessary procedure and begin his recovery."

PR is PR but Criss always seems to push the envelope :(

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 24th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I've continued to search the internet for any mention of Criss Angel ever having a child. Nothing. Lots of blather about his girlfriends, none of whom bore him children.

What I did notice was the enormous number of media links to the story about him closing his show for a week and going to Australia to care for a son that no one seems to have heard of before this moment. Hundreds of press releases must have been sent out.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 24th, 2015, 9:21 pm

There are several discomforting implications being made here.

At least Tim acknowledges that a man's two year-old child being diagnosed with a horrible disease is sad. Richard, whatever motivations you want to assign Angel (for "hiding" having a child, or using this disease as an opportunity for publicity, or most preposterously, making up the whole thing), I would urge you to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point, and maybe even a bit of sympathy.

performer

Postby performer » October 24th, 2015, 9:23 pm

I am half wondering whether the child even exists. Maybe the shows are cancelled for other reasons and this is a load of old baloney. Not that I have a cynical mind of course.............

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » October 25th, 2015, 8:01 am

Well, here is the mother of his child and his child.

http://thebestgiftoflife.com/inspiring-mum-shaunyl/

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 25th, 2015, 8:02 am

I am not suggesting the child doesn't exist. The implication is that Criss's ex-wife Sandra is the mother, though that is never actually stated.

To some extent, that is none of our concern BUT, as Richard points out, hundreds of press releases have been sent out to promote/capitalise on this and again (like the 'Escapologist almost dies' releases) the bulk of each article is not about the boy or his illness but about Criss and what a great magician he is....

Some may say it's just good business, maybe even "lemonade out of lemons"... I just think it's exploitative.

performer

Postby performer » October 25th, 2015, 8:12 am

Rick Ruhl wrote:Well, here is the mother of his child and his child.

http://thebestgiftoflife.com/inspiring-mum-shaunyl/

Where does it say that this is Criss's son?

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 25th, 2015, 8:21 am

Are you sure it's Shaunyl? On her FB profile it says she got engaged to a guy on Oct 2013 and on his FB profile is a pic of him holding the baby (Johnny) in February with people saying "Congrats Dad!"

But on Oct 2014 he comments "If another man steals your women,there's no better revenge then letting him keep her. If she loved you she wouldn't have gone.
Wish I heard this a year and a half ago." So maybe the engagement didn't go ahead... maybe Johnny IS Criss Angel's child after all?

It's all just another MINDFREAK!
Last edited by Tim Ellis on October 25th, 2015, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

performer

Postby performer » October 25th, 2015, 8:27 am

I shall make a psychic prediction. Widdle the sceptic can be a witness. I will not apply for the fraudulent Randi Million Dollar Prize though as I know the old buzzard would find an excuse not to pay out anyway.

My prediction is that sometime in 2016 (or even earlier) the Criss Angel show in Vegas will be no more. I know these things.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 25th, 2015, 8:43 am

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1630927/bio

Hmmm... his IMdB bio says he married Shaunyl in Feb this year....

And this blog page fills in a few gaps in the mystery... http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2015/04/blind-item-6-689.html

Especially in the comments section....

And this clipping from St John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church confirms the marriage... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CExoUQbUUAAXnS9.jpg:large

And this clipping confirms the birth of Johnny before the DNA test.... http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/photos/buy/1130363/

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 25th, 2015, 10:33 am

While it is terrible news that the boy has leukemia, the part that I find disgusting is the way in which it is being exploited for publicity.

Criss could simply have cancelled shows and left it at that.

Instead, he has chosen to promote it through the media, only a few days after announcing a new romance with Chloe Crawford.

If Richard chooses to delete the thread, that's fine with me.

But, if a magician announces his son has leukemia and - up to this point - nobody even knew he was married (especially as he is still very publicly dating) then of course people will want to know what's going on.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2015, 12:19 pm

If the child genuinely has leukemia, then this is a terrible tragedy.

Perhaps equally tragic for the child is the ill-fated relationship that brought him into the world? It seems, possibly, that the woman involved got pregnant by Angel, then it appears that she went back to Australia and became engaged to another guy and he thought he was the father until a DNA test proved otherwise. If the imdb is correct, Angel married the woman last February? But she's now living in Australia and he's been "dating" other women during all of this? Lots of speculation based on internet stuff, but a really odd scenario.

And, as Tim points out, oodles of press releases sent out about it? How many press releases did Criss's people send out when his son was born? Or when he married the woman? Or when she went back to Australia and took the child with her?

The whole thing is just weird weird weird, and a pity for child

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2015, 12:45 pm

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 25th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If the child genuinely has leukemia, then this is a terrible tragedy.

Any evidence to suggest otherwise?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » October 25th, 2015, 1:22 pm

In completely unrelated news, CdS confirmed this week that they are about to "radically refresh" believe before 2016 so that it has the legs to make it through to its 10 year target.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Just in general terms of the person in question, yes, there is always doubt until something is proven.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 25th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Wow.

You're really going to go with that. Insinuating that Criss Angel fabricated a story of his two year-old son being diagnosed with Leukemia. That's incredible. Your dislike for him must know no bounds.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2015, 4:32 pm

I don't know, Peter: if you had a child that was living on the other side of the world with your (ex?) wife, would you send out a massive media blitz announcing that your child (which previously few people even seemed to know about) was ill and that you HAD to close your show for a week(?!).

Nobody outside some folks in Las Vegas care if Criss Angel closes his show for a week or even a month. Why the BIG announcement now? As I wrote earlier ... where was the big wedding announcement? Where was the big birth announcement of his first and only child? Non-existent. But an announcement that he's closing his show to rush to the side of his child, now diagnosed with leukemia--that's worthy of multiple press releases to internet media outlets. If you don't like the way the thread it tilting, feel free to leave it, but spare me the chest-beating.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 25th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Not chest-beating here (and press releases, timing, and history aside), you are genuinely questioning whether or not Angel's child has Leukemia?

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 25th, 2015, 6:16 pm

The child has been diagnosed and Criss and Shaunyl are still married.

Those who know the real reason for the press release are not impressed.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 25th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:If the child genuinely has leukemia, then this is a terrible tragedy.

Tim Ellis wrote:The child has been diagnosed

Anything else but sympathy at this point are just vultures circling.

performer

Postby performer » October 25th, 2015, 8:55 pm

I suppose this is the negative side of being a celebrity. Everyone gets to know your business and wishes to comment on it. But on the other hand he is the one who put out the press releases-not us.

Still, I suppose it is none of our business and somehow I am beginning to feel guilty talking about it. Human nature I suppose.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » October 25th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Tim Ellis wrote:
... only a few days after announcing a new romance with Chloe Crawford.

Is she out of her mind? :( I like Chloe...

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » October 26th, 2015, 9:38 am

He's a creepy dude all the way 'round.

Sick little kids bring me to tears.
PR stunting performers make me puke.

Return to “Buzz”