Bob White Penguin Lecture August 30th!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Bob White Penguin Lecture August 30th!

Postby erdnasephile » August 22nd, 2015, 11:30 am

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5771

I have no financial connection to this lecture, but I love Bob White and his magic! He's a true master who is a direct link to the Erdnase/Vernon/Miller asthetic, and is a terrific teacher. (Plus, he'll fool you blind--witness his torn and restored tissue routine).

Not to be missed if you're into sleight of hand done superbly!
Last edited by erdnasephile on August 23rd, 2015, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Gilbert

Re: Bob White Penguin Lecture August 30th!

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm

This should be great.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 23rd, 2015, 1:25 pm

Bob said he was going to tip a little different handling for the Fingerprint card trick that he really likes and came up with not too long ago. He came up with this after his notes and DVD were released.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 23rd, 2015, 3:06 pm

Tom:

That's great! Bob's skip trick is already in my working repertoire, so I'm really excited to see what he's come up with. I'm also keen to see what he does with the sponge bunnies.

I really like hearing Mr. White talk. I also hope he shares some stories about some magic legends during the lecture.

Do you know who the students are who are going to be in the lecture as well?

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 23rd, 2015, 8:06 pm

I think Jordan Burgess will be there. Not sure about Jared.

JordanB

Postby JordanB » August 23rd, 2015, 9:16 pm

Thanks everybody for mentioning the lecture.

For the last few years Bob has mentioned that he was interested in doing another lecture or seminar. Although a few things had been discussed, nothing concrete was ever planned. Penguin has done so well with the Penguin Live lectures and Bob is very happy to be presenting the lecture next week. I'd like to thank Tim Trono and the staff at Penguin for all their hard work in making this a reality.

I think everyone is going to be pleased with the material and I know I'm looking forward to it. I know Bob is looking forward to answering questions from people in the virtual audience, so if there is anything you have ever wanted to ask then be sure and send in your question.

Although I consider Bob a friend more than a teacher, it is certainly true that he has helped me a lot with magic over the course of our friendship. Tom Gaudette and I will be at the lecture with Bob. Neither of us really intends on doing anything, but I will be there to help if needed. We are mainly there to support Bob or signal to him off-camera. I think Tom and I both are excited to just watch the lecture from the audience. I talk to Bob almost every day and I can tell you that even after many years and many hours I still learn something new everytime we talk about magic.

I would also like to mention that thanks to Penguin all of Bob's material is now available digitally at Penguin, including his out of print DVD's on the Malini Egg Bag and Card Palming. I've been lucky enough to learn most of the material first hand, but I can tell you that learning from these DVD's is almost like getting personal instructions for Bob. Thanks again to the team at Penguin for making that happen, especially Tim Trono.

Regards,

Jordan

bmoran
Favorite Magician: Paul Rosini

Postby bmoran » August 24th, 2015, 3:17 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing Bob's Penguin Lecture. I remember meeting Bob a number of years ago and, after listening to him and watching him do magic for a while, I was reminded of Hilliard's comment about Stuart Judah. To wit, "I'd rather see him do a card trick than go to a convention!" Bob is a life-long student of magic and a full-time professional whose knowledge and experience make this event a golden opportunity to learn how to do and perform some terrific magic.

Jeff Salter

Postby Jeff Salter » August 26th, 2015, 10:19 am

Bob White and expert are synonymous. Bob performs magic expertly. No suspicious moves. No displays of skill. The magic just happens. His flawless technique is equally matched with subtlety and expert routining/presentation. I highly recommend this lecture. Beginner or expert, you will learn a lot.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 30th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Bump...lecture tonight. Should be great!

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 30th, 2015, 4:00 pm

I'm in.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 30th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Uh oh ... he's up against the MVA Awards! :lol:
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 31st, 2015, 3:51 pm

Just heard from Penguin. They are having technical difficulties uploading the lecture to people's accounts. They said it should be in the downloads section of purchasers' accounts by Wednesday morning.

JordanB

Postby JordanB » September 1st, 2015, 1:56 pm

Bob and I just got back from Ohio last night. Penguin has a great studio, and the staff and crew are amazing.

The following is a list of topics covered:
-Sponge Bunnies
-Showing a single card
-Vernon Double Lift
-The Flash double
-Gemini Count Alternative
-Gemini Twins & Double Pinochle
-Ambitous Classic
-E.G. Brown Spelling Trick
-The Fingerprint Trick
-The Lie Detector

At this point Bob was getting hot from the lights and was beginning to tire. We took about a 13 minute break so Bob could get a drink, rest, and collect his thoughts. During the break, we showed a clip of him performing three tricks at the 2006 Dallas T.A.O.M. The effects are the Cards Up the Sleeve, Bob’s rope routine, and the tissue paper. This is excellent footage and has never been shown publicly before.

-Lie Detector (finish)
-One Hand Tilt
-A Simple Coin or small object vanish
-Cups and Balls (just tips on tip-off move and loading)
-Egg Bag (just tips on turning the bag)

Bob also talked about some thoughts on the presentation of magic. These are about scripting your presentation, acting natural, and using uniformity of action.

After this Bob sat down with Dan Harlan for a very good interview. They discussed the business side of magic and some advice Bob got from Karrell Fox and Don Alan. This covered many topics.

The total time clocked in at over 3:30 minutes. I believe it was almost 4 hours.
As many of you know, Bob suffered a stroke in 2010. This has affected his left hand slightly and he sometimes gets confused when performing under the gun. The lecture went really well. There were a few times he got tired or hung up, but generally he recovered really well and he always had something to say. One thing you can say about Bob is that he is rarely at a loss for words.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be friends with Bob for the last thirteen years. Applying his approach to my magic has really elevated the level of my performances. I know others who have greatly benefited from Bob’s wisdom over the years including- Jared Kopf, Tom Gaudette, Eric DeCamps, Mike Squires, Ian Richards, and many others.

Some of the advice he gives could greatly benefit those studying the art of magic and looking to really polish their presentations.
Additionally, his seminar notes “It’s A Matter of Style” are now available through Penguin as a PDF download (as are all his DVD’s). If you’ve been to one of his seminars you know how great these are and at $15 for the set this is a steal.

I hope you all enjoy the lecture and get something useful from it. I know Bob enjoyed doing it and I enjoyed being a part of it.

richardingram

Postby richardingram » September 1st, 2015, 2:23 pm

I thought it was a great lecture. I could tell he was tired, but he is a constant professional. I was glad to see how much he had recovered and it hasn't seemed to effect his memory. If you haven't seen the lecture it is worth it.

I would also like to add that Dan Harlan did an amazing job hosting.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 1st, 2015, 7:22 pm

I thought the lecture was good, he had some good effects, but I liked the nuggets of information or moves he talked about.

Dan is by far the best host for any live lecture.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 1st, 2015, 8:24 pm

Bob White was an incredibly fine magician prior to his stroke--one of the best I've ever seen. He is not able to do all he could before, but he's still pretty damn good (we had him at the Genii convention in 2012).

I'm sure the lecture was very valuable.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 5th, 2015, 3:56 pm

erdnasephile wrote:http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5771

I have no financial connection to this lecture, but I love Bob White and his magic! He's a true master who is a direct link to the Erdnase/Vernon/Miller asthetic, and is a terrific teacher. (Plus, he'll fool you blind--witness his torn and restored tissue routine).

Not to be missed if you're into sleight of hand done superbly!

The greatest thing I did at the first Genii Bash was spending time with Bob White each day in the smoking 'lounge.' He's been my 'Professor' ever since Eric DeCamps and Jamy Swiss hipped me to him in 2003. Long live Bob White!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Return to “Buzz”