Derren Brown - Miracle - A Review

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Derren Brown - Miracle - A Review

Postby CraigMitchell » April 5th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Derren Brown – Searching for a Miracle … A Review …

And so ended Miracle. A show that is most certainly not one.

Having had a greater insight into the construction of Derren’s performances through his Penguin lecture and Session appearance – it is becoming painfully clear that artistic merit is fast being replaced by commercial considerations. Live shows are being constructed at breakneck speed … Infamous had hardly just finished and rehearsals were already underway for Miracle. Show titles are shoe-horned in and made to fit – purposely generic and decided months before the show is even written - whilst routines are often selected for apparently no other reason than they were easily available and fitted the requisite time slot.

Derren is unfortunately a victim of his own success. He has the set the bar extremely high … and when he doesn’t meet that level, when he doesn’t push himself beyond the norm – it shows.

For any other performer Miracle would suffice. But for Derren - he is capable of so much more.

Now that you’ve read the conclusion – you can decide whether you wish to read the full and complete review of Miracle. As a professional production presented to a paying audience, it is an untenable request not to discuss the contents of the performance in a 21st century environment for the sake of “secrecy”.

You, however, as a reader have the choice should you wish to maintain that surprise.

If you intend seeing the show at some point in the future – and wish to keep the contents a secret– read no further.

If you intend to see the show when it gets released on DVD in 2 years time – and wish to keep the contents a secret – please read no further.

The choice is entirely your own.

If, however, you believe there is value to be gained in knowing what our contemporary performers are presenting, what is working and what is not – then that option is open to you.

Disclaimer said – make your decision.

It’s a grey and dull evening in Oxford ( a cheerful Spring evening I’m told by a local !) as I make the journey to see Derren Brown’s latest touring show “Miracle” - set to play to a capacity crowd of some 1800 at the New Theatre Oxford.

Derren’s last show – Infamous - was a revealing departure from his tried and tested format – it was deeply personal, it was moving and had glimmers of theatrical brilliance. What would Miracle bring … and would it live up to the high standards we have all come to expect from the man who has defined modern mentalism in England and beyond ?

Excitement was palpable as the safety curtain rose revealing an expansive stage set of a “manor house” style drawing room … candelabras on the wall, an easel, along with an image of Chan Canasta to one side and a few chairs and a table. Less is more – but very imposing. Tick, tick, tick … the ominous sound of a giant clock on the back wall counting down the minutes. But stranger still this clock is reversed – a mirror image if you will – a precursor perhaps that all is not what it seems … as this is no simple clock but a projected image. As the clock grows bigger – the hands spin – and the star of the show appears stage left as the crowd erupts.

It’s clear right from the start that no expense has been spared when it comes to production. The visuals are incredible, the projection mapping amazing … and the giant stage set of the ‘drawing room walls’ acting as a virtual backdrop throughout. The future is projection … it has taken hold of all the West End shows and its fantastic to see Derren bring it home to mentalism.

So what Miracle are we in store for tonight ?

The futility of goal seeking, our fixation with the future, our fixation with the past and the stories that define us. But before we can unpack some of these lofty subjects the spectator in the front row is required to look after the obligatory sealed envelope.
Envelope requirements now complied with – we need a character to start our story. Out goes the balloon into the crowd and Derren records on the easel our randomly generated story … “Steven Frye … wearing yellow y-fronts … says bugger off … to David Cameron”
But in addition to our random story generated on stage – a group of audience members we’re told are writing their own made-up story using paper provided to them in their rows. How odd. It’s pitch dark – we know not who these spectators are or how they were selected. Instead – this “random piece of paper” makes its way up on stage from the depths of the auditorium.

A classic example of how NOT to instil confidence that everything is indeed ‘free and fair’. Making promises that no stooges are used is one thing … but if your audience are immediately believing this to even possibly be the case (whether remotely correct or not is immaterial)… we’ve already lost the battle.

But I digress. Our second, somewhat suspect story ( the layperson-seated-next-to-me’s description ) arrives on stage. Derren launches into discerning who the lead character may be in this particular drama – and predicts it spot on – it’s none other than Her Majesty the Queen.

The story reads: “The Queen … wearing a coat … gives non verbal cues … to an elderly racist”

But wait – there’s something inside the balloon that was bouncing about the audience all along … pop the balloon – read the prediction – it matches, too… “Steven Frye and David Cameron and yellow y-fronts” The crowd loves it. And seem to have forgotten about dear Lizzie.

More participation follows as Frisbees go sailing into the audience. But whilst we do that – out comes a box of Quality Street candy. Did we know that Derren has developed the uncanny ability to discern whatever sweet is chosen simply by the sound of the wrapper or the sound of your chewing? No – neither did I. And to be honest – I don’t know whether we should care.

But everything looks better in projection – so the back wall is illuminated in ultra hd glory with all the possible sweet choices now on display - strawberry delight, chocolate éclair, toffee caramel and so many more. Choose a sweet from inside this box held ever so tightly and very suspiciously by a member of the production team who runs about the audience. Oh look – the master of mentalism has correctly guessed the chosen sweet! What an effective use of one’s gift. How did we go from last year revealing our deepest fears and secrets to this year running about guessing candy? A strange departure if ever there was one. Surely if you are considered to be a modern day Yoda – guessing candy is somewhat beneath you ?

Selfie time is up next – as Derren now involves the audience of the internet. A group photo is posted on Twitter live during the show – as the internet is asked to tweet random words to be used in a later experiment.

More Frisbees into the audience – this time to find someone to join Derren on stage. A table for two. And on the menu … a lightbulb. The spectator takes her seat opposite. The lightbulb is crushed – and the unwitting participant places a shard of glass in Derren’s mouth. He grinds it with his teeth, grimaces and swallows. Impressive. But now it’s her turn … for the lightbulb is but a metaphor … a metaphor for taking risks in life. A piece of shattered bulb is placed in the volunteer’s mouth – she is told to chew, she grinds, she swallows. It’s an uneasy situation. Is this real ? Is it not ? The audience not quite sure … did Derren Brown really just make a spectator swallow a piece of smashed lightbulb ? This feels more like Blaine than Brown but whatever the answer – the angst is amazing.

From ‘taking risks’ we’re advised to ‘ignore the things you can’t control’ … this is beginning to sound very self-help. In tennis we tell ourselves “I must win” … when in reality you can’t control how good your opponent is. If you enter the match looking to win – and you ultimately lose, you feel you have failed. Instead, our new guru enlightens us to the way of ‘rather aim to play to the best of your abilities’ – then no matter the outcome, you will never fail. Mmmm … perhaps Dr Phil will be available in the lobby following the show.

Back to the magic. Remember that Twitter photo ? A spectator is tasked with choosing a random word from the thousands posted on Derren’s feed. To help him get into the mood – he’s given a book to hold onto during the process. One connected to the legend of Chan Canasta and his famous book test performed at Foyles in London – or so we are told.
A word is selected. But in a classic case of a spectator not fully understanding the instructions – he chooses his own random word rather than selecting one from the twitter feed – thus killing the ostensible presentation of the “theory of many” … but all is not lost.

A 3 digit number is given … 190 … the book is opened … page 190 is missing! In Derren’s lapel pocket – is a triangle – mistaken for a handkerchief the entire show … it is the missing page 190.

A 2 digit number is given … 13 … this is the line number on the page.
A single digit number is given … 4 … it matches the chosen word !
But Chan Casta has been involved all along – behind his portrait is … you guessed it … the chosen word!

And so ends the first half - All in all a somewhat underwhelming experience.

… the Brits disappear to purchase their interval ice-cream and before you know it – the 20 minutes are up … and we’re back for round 2!

And unfortunately not back with a bang – as we kick off with a somewhat standard rendition of “smash & stab” ( complete with the now obligatory Youtube clips of how not to perform the effect ) Our only departure from the norm is Derren now reciting the words of the “Lord is my shepherd” with the lyrics illuminated in jumbo projection behind. As an effect – there’s nothing inherently wrong with “smash & stab” but it is to mentalism what zombie is to stage magic … been performed to death.

Our lead-up to the show’s title of Miracle now follows with the ‘transformative experience’ that is faith healing. Derren assumes the role of the evangelical healer and the audience the faithful flock. Rising to our seats, we embark on a ‘mass induction process’ – closing our eyes we are bombarded with a multi-sensory experience … blinding lights, deep pounding sounds – as we bask in the healing energy that washes over the audience. It is a powerful sensation. And one that is clearly working. As healer Derren literally knocks spectator after spectator down to the floor with a simple touch of the finger ( or in some cases him literally pushing people down and it appearing that they are staying there to rather keep him happy ) The ill are ostensibly healed … as scores now rush to the stage to share their testimony of how their ailments are no more. From back pain to arthritis everyone and their mother comes share their tale … cue a Power Band type demonstration, a light and heavy chest and we’ll make believers out of you all.

Whilst such testimony is all very nice – we suffer from the self-same problem of the mystery audience members who wrote their own story in the dark. There has been no fairness or randomness to those giving testimony … the side of the stage was flooded with the “healed” – and Derren did the selection. My ever sceptical seat mate behind posed the valid question “How do I know they aren’t all in on the act?” As magicians we know they didn’t have to be – but the fact that the answer remains a possibility shows an inherent flaw in the construction.

Be that as it may – the demonstrations continue amongst the flock. Spectators are given the gift of the tongues ( whilst pushed to the floor ) others lose their ability to read whilst a final spectactor is given the powerful gift of anointing … as he levitates 3 feet off the ground with blinding lights behind helping with the mechanical stagecraft.

We have so many opposing issues at play. The power of faith. The power of conviction. The audience buy-in. The falsehood of the premise coupled with a levitation with no explanation. Are we to believe this is the good lord at work or illusionist Derren throwing in a magic trick. It’s jarring and I don’t necessarily know in a good way.

As images of the cosmos sail past in high definition glory, Derren advises that we simply need to tell ourselves a different story, to change our lives. We told ourselves the pain was no more and it was gone - and in true disclaimer moment … don’t get rid of the crutch, dispose of your glasses or stop taking your medication. The incongruity of the message is grating.

“You are the real miracle of life.”

And before we end … remember the envelope handed out at the start ? It contains a copy of the Oxford Times from some 3 weeks prior.

And in the classifieds is an advert placed by Derren … “Nail number 3 will remain” ( in case you forgot about the smash & stab )

And inside the newspaper – a photo of Queen Elizabeth and her dear husband - that peculiar story written by the mystery people in the audience … “The Queen … wearing a coat … gives non verbal cues … to an elderly racist”

Miracle - I'm still uncertain.

Having had a greater insight into the construction of Derren’s performances through his Penguin lecture and Session appearance – it is becoming painfully clear that artistic merit is fast being replaced by commercial considerations. Live shows are being constructed at breakneck speed … Infamous had hardly just finished and rehearsals were already underway for Miracle. Show titles are shoe-horned in and made to fit – purposely generic and decided months before the show is even written - whilst routines are often selected for apparently no other reason than they were easily available and fitted the requisite time slot.

Derren is unfortunately a victim of his own success. He has the set the bar extremely high … and when he doesn’t meet that level, when he doesn’t push himself beyond the norm – it shows.

For any other performer Miracle would suffice. But for Derren - he is capable of so much more.
Last edited by CraigMitchell on April 6th, 2015, 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bryan Miles

Re: Derren Brown - Miracle - A Review

Postby Bryan Miles » April 5th, 2015, 4:17 pm

A very descriptive and informative review of the show - thank you for sharing.

As someone who will not be able to see the show; it's nice to know what Derren is up to.

Looking forward to the televised version :D

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 5th, 2015, 5:38 pm

I am a fan of Derren Brown. But sometimes the problem with these shows is that too much meaning/storyline is forced onto the magic tricks.

And the magic ends up collapsing under the weight of all the different 'messages' we are supposed to be picking up on. Such that it ends up sounding like an infomercial from a self-help guru.

If you have something important to say - write a book. Magic is probably not the correct vehicle for such wisdom.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 5th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:... If you have something important to say - write a book. Magic is probably not the correct vehicle for such wisdom.

Theater has its own merits for storytelling. Not sure Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman would have been so effective as a novel. Or more generally if any of the affecting works of theater would have served their audiences better in print alone than in performance.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 6th, 2015, 5:12 am

Yet again you ignore Derren's simple and polite request not to go into detail about what is in his shows.

Sigh.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » April 7th, 2015, 10:05 am

Fair enough after the run of shows but it really is beyond the pale to post. I agree with Damian.
Best John

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 7th, 2015, 10:36 am

Disclaimer said – make your decision.

Even so - was Derren's request to us on this side of the proscenium arch as distinct from the usual request not to tell folks who-did-it in The Mousetrap?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 7th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post such an in-depth review Craig.

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » June 30th, 2016, 10:35 am

Finally saw Derren Brown's show Miracle in Nottingham this week.

I thought it was very good.

For example, I liked the coin routine where, despite giving advance warning, he deceives a spectator six times in succession.

And my non-magic friends were stunned by Derren's ability to impede or enhance a spectator's ability to read lines from the theatre program.
Wonderful presentation! What a clever monkey!

I've seen Derren previous two shows , Svengali and Infamous.

If anything, Miracle was even stronger than these ventures.

Don't be put off by craigmitchell's sarcastic and dismissive review.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » June 30th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Richard Stokes wrote:
Don't be put off by craigmitchell's sarcastic and dismissive review.

Could you show us the part in craigmitchell's review where he says "don't be attracted by gushing and overenthusiastic reviews"?

No?

Well then, how about you just post your thoughts on the show and leave it at that?

If I want to read "how dare you criticize My Hero" posts, I'll swing by the Magic Cafe.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Observer, that was unnecessary.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 1st, 2016, 12:00 pm

Seems I'm missing all the fun.

@Richard Stokes - my review was from 2015. The show you saw and the one I did are invariably going to be different. Derren has had over a year to refine the material and work on making it better.

I'm sorry you found my review to be dismissive. On the contrary, it was my take on the show on the day for the performance presented. I most certainly do not dismiss anything that a performer of Derren's calibre releases. It most certainly is worthy of your consideration - and for you to make up your own mind. As mentioned - Derren sets the bar exceptionally high and for any other performer Miracle would suffice, but I didn't feel Derren lived up to his usual high standard at the time ( even more so when he plainly admits that routines were often selected for apparently no other reason than they were easily available and fitted the requisite time slot ) That is by no means a reason not to see the show ... and a year later, I have no doubt that the show has been significantly improved on.

Return to “Buzz”