David Blaine's first TV appearance on MTV's Jon Stewart

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

David Blaine's first TV appearance on MTV's Jon Stewart

Postby MaxNY » February 11th, 2015, 12:48 pm

In remembrance of Jon Stewart announcing his retirement from Comedy Central's Daily Show, today I uploaded David Blaine's appearance on MTV's Jon Stewart Show.

Originally aired 10/27/93

I was a young lad working in the MTV Studios back then. I already put about ten years into New York Post production, under the MTV Studio roof for most of that time. There was only about 18 of us in the studio, the other thousands work in cubbies at 1515 Broadway. One day after a free breakfast (that MTV always provided), a morning J (not provided by MTV) and a couple video games...I see that the daily shoot schedule has us shooting a pilot for an unknown named Jon Stewart. After watching just five minutes of his rehearsal, I turned to the guy next to me and said "This guy is going to be a huge f*cking Star." And he is.

Just when the World is trying to figure out what Mr. Stewart will do next, let me just remind you that he broke BIG over 20 years ago, and has only gone UP!!

I kept the opening intro/bumper on because it was one of the most innovative things I ever saw on television. Way before FCP, or Avid, (there was some CGI, and some computer editing,) but I once was caught slowing this open down (on 1" videotape) and was trying to figure out just how? this open was assembled. There was no transition of wipe that could have done this. Along walked some kid, and told me HE was the brains behind the opening segment. He WOVE film together, with lots of glue, and tape. They ran it through the Film-to-tape telecine several times, because it just kept jamming inside the lens! Kid was from the Rhode Island School of Design.

I got to meet David after, slipped him a copy. he gave me his card. I did remember seeing him a couple of times at Rueben's (NYC Saturday gathering.) But we never really talked. After this show, he was getting press almost every week in the gossip column of the New York Post, as he was working celebrities at downtown bars.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHrdZ3D ... mdQbakxmnw

Sean-Dylan

Re: David Blaine's first TV appearance on MTV's Jon Stewart

Postby Sean-Dylan » February 11th, 2015, 1:49 pm

The trick that he did (Blockhead with bloody card revelation) was an effect and method that I came up with. I'm not sure that it translated so great to TV. At the time we were friends (he was a really good guy) and I taught him the blockhead sitting in Bryant Park with random passerby looking at us strangely.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Re: David Blaine's first TV appearance on MTV's Jon Stewart

Postby MaxNY » February 11th, 2015, 2:11 pm

Sean, I remember walking over to Tannen's the next day, and you telling me that story!

Return to “Buzz”