Troy: Street Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Troy: Street Magic

Postby Tom Frame » January 14th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Troy: Street Magic premiered on the Syfy channel last night. I recorded the episode but I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. The eponymous Troy is a twenty-something Brit named Troy Von Scheibner. I’ve never heard of him.

The series was originally broadcast on BBC channel 4 from February 11, 2014 to March 11, 2014. It has now arrived on our side of the pond. It airs on the Syfy channel on Tuesdays at 7:00 Pacific Time. Check it out.
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

Tom Moore

Re: Troy: Street Magic

Postby Tom Moore » January 14th, 2015, 5:17 pm

"Channel 4" not "BBC channel 4" - the former is a mainstream network channel that commissioned this show, the latter is a weird portmanteau of something that doesn't exist. There is a BBC4 which is a cable channel the bbc created showing cultural/educational content.

It's an ok show but ultimately it's no different to every other street magic show out there; there's some nice moments in it but ultimately far far too many clearly setup/staged sequences and some terrible editing that means in several sequences you can't experience any of the magic as a viewer at home. Occasionally there's glimpses of some really nice interesting ideas and twists on the format but alas at every stage instead of taking the interesting route they default back to street-magic-special-by-numbers.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Return to “Buzz”