34 Years of Back Issues Uploaded for Digital Genii Readers

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

34 Years of Back Issues Uploaded for Digital Genii Readers

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 4th, 2014, 12:40 pm

We've greatly accelerated the pace of uploading back issues into our online archive, and every issue from 1936 through the end of 1965, and 2010 through 2014 are now online in easy to read flip view format.

Those subscribers who want to read the legendary Steranko card magic issue of Genii with its 25 page special section by Steranko will now find it posted.

We'll continue putting up new issues at this pace until we've filled everything in and all 76 years are up. Remember, you can get a digital-only subscription to Genii for only $35, which includes 12 new issues going forward, and all back issues as well. New issues include lots of video and audio.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MManchester

Re: 34 Years of Back Issues Uploaded for Digital Genii Reade

Postby MManchester » October 4th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Greatly anticipating the upload of the 2008 issues so that I can read the article about John Gaughan's second performance of Hooker's Impossibilities. Sad to say I only recently learned about these effect from watching EMC 2012. The forum discussion at the time was interesting, and it left me eager to read something more substantive.

I have been having problems with the videos in iGenii. The video will play but there's no sound. If I close and visit YouTube, video and audio play just fine. Any idea what the problem could be?
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 4th, 2014, 2:30 pm

@MManchester - Are you using an iPad? A few of us have had the same problem. It happened after one of Apple's iOS updates. The test for this is to insert earphones. If they work but the speaker does not, then you have the same problem. Resetting my iPad cured the problem.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings

If you end up doing this, you may have to redo a few automatic logins, but I had no repercussions from the reset.

Riversky

Postby Riversky » October 4th, 2014, 4:18 pm

I lost all the digital iGenii download data on my iPad.
The "reset all" did not restore any digital copies of Genii magizine.
Only the empty app still exists.
Does anyone have suggestion?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 4th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Reset all is not going to do anything other than reset the app to the default functions. You need to log in to the app and then download the issues you want on your iPad. You should be using the app from Tecnavia (check the app store).

If you are using our old app from BlueToad, it no longer works and you should delete it.

Riversky

Postby Riversky » October 4th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Groovy,
Out with the old and in with the new (Tecnavia)
But I forgot my password and attempting to reset it I get an error message with office contact.
Where to now Skipper?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 4th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Are you sure you're following the instructions on our website to reset your password? Go to www.geniimagazine.com and sign in. Make sure you are signing in with the CORRECT email address that we have for you on file. You should be able to reset your password with no problem.

If you still have a problem, call the office on Monday during east coast business hours.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » October 5th, 2014, 3:07 am

Excellent news about the accelerated uploading of the older issues!

Thanks!

Jim

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » October 5th, 2014, 11:52 am

Woohoo!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 5th, 2014, 2:23 pm

MManchester wrote:Greatly anticipating the upload of the 2008 issues so that I can read the article about John Gaughan's second performance of Hooker's Impossibilities.

While I wrote up the description, Jim Steinmeyer graciously made the (I'm happy to say few) corrections that had to be made in the text. So not only is it the most complete description of the routine in print, it is 100-percent accurate thanks to him.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » October 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Definitely a great article. The cover of that issue used to peer out at me from its magazine box atop a bookcase. I may pull it and re-read it tonight.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » October 5th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Frustrating though that it's so rarely performed. Everything I've read indicates that it's one of the greatest illusions ever created. Seems like a real opportunity to build a replica and take it on tour to major cities to protect the original while still sharing this creation. Kickstarter anyone?
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Remember this: it was build into Dr. Hooker's home--part of the house. It was never meant to be performed outside his home, and he never did.

It will never tour: it's impossible for that to happen. I seriously doubt it will be performed again because of how difficult, time-consuming, and involved it would be.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » October 5th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Remember this: it was build into Dr. Hooker's home--part of the house

I recall reading a brief mention of that in one of the articles I was able to find, which only adds to the frustration. I've complained before that these incredibly rare history conference presentations are not being videotaped and made available to those of us who, due to geography and income, are missing out. I am sure the organizers have their reasons but I can't understand the justification.
Michael Manchester

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2014, 4:29 pm

If you read the articles written on the Hooker Card Rise the justification should be clear.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » October 5th, 2014, 4:39 pm

I understand that Hooker intended it to be viewed only a couple of times and not in close succession, certainly not repeatedly as a video would permit which would diminish the effect. It still means we miss out. But there have been at least ten history conferences, many of which that restriction doesn't exist. A moot argument, but as a big history buff I feel excluded. Woe is me.
Michael Manchester

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2014, 4:45 pm

The Hooker Card Rise was not meant (by Hooker) to be seen more than once or twice by anyone. And certainly not in succession.

No video will ever be released, so I would give up thinking about it and just enjoy the written articles.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2014, 5:12 pm

All issues of Genii up to 1971 are now online, which has special meaning for me, since 1971 was the first year I subscribed to Genii.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » October 7th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I would also point out that as far as layman, it is overkill. Mike Caveney said when they showed (it to the Hooker grandchildren the famous card trick they heard so much about) they might as well have done a Devano deck for them.
I did get to see. It was impressive but not as nearly as some of the other things like the Mascot Moth or even the Million Dollar Mystery of Carter's.
The beautiful thing about the Hooker card rise for magicians is every time you have a solution, another layer is revealed that removes that solution.
It will never tour as previously mentioned. It may, when the time is right, be passed to another scholar to preserve and protect the effect and secret. And that is exactly how it should be.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Return to “Buzz”