Houdini Bio-Pic Reviews Start Rolling In

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Houdini Bio-Pic Reviews Start Rolling In

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 7th, 2014, 4:29 pm

AJM wrote:It's on here tonight.

Just saw a still of Adrian Brody as Houdini - he looks ridiculous , a terrible casting in my view.

I won't be watching.

Andrew

I felt the same thing before watching it, but changed my mind after the fact. I think he did a great job given the material he had to work with.

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » September 8th, 2014, 10:48 pm

I watched only the first part for now, and I found it quite entertaining. My kids loved it. I liked the "exposure" parts, and seeing mechanical gears and all that, I think it was well done, forget Tony Curtis. Good advertising for magic. So what if it's not 100% (or even 60%) accurate? It's a movie, not a documentary about the man, and as such it's perfectly ok to take some "artistic paths" and make it more palatable to the general crowd. I am sure that some hard-core experts on Houdini could have written a much more accurate story, but...would that have been as entertaining ?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 9th, 2014, 12:58 am

Carlo Morpurgo wrote:I am sure that some hard-core experts on Houdini could have written a much more accurate story, but...would that have been as entertaining ?

Yes, if well written it would have been even more entertaining than the claptrap you saw. Houdini had an incredible, and interesting life without any embellishment from pretentious screenwriters.

Return to “Buzz”