Get Out Your Money: The Hollingworth Collection is Here!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Get Out Your Money: The Hollingworth Collection is Here!

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2014, 4:21 pm

Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Re: Get Out Your Money: The Hollingworth Collection is Here!

Postby AJM » August 23rd, 2014, 5:11 pm

Ordered...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 23rd, 2014, 5:39 pm

Yep, me too!

(Unfortunately, my Hollingworth VCR tape collection's value (including an original "The Reformation" just dropped to zero... Ah, well...progess)

PS: Speaking of progress--it'd be nice if one of the cutting edge magic video studios would release the first magic instruction Blu-ray. I would love to see these kind of landmark sets in true (not upcoded) high def.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2014, 6:16 pm

Costs a lot to master a blu-ray.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 23rd, 2014, 6:22 pm

I love Guy. love his work. I think anything he puts out is likely to be really great.

But if I'm told one more time that the latest 'whatever' is going to "transform magic" I'm likely to start boycotting any product that does.

Guy is great. This is not a comment on him or his work. It's just ignorant advertising. magic is seldom transformed --- let alone by any one marketed item, if only because most of the people who buy stuff never watch or read it let alone do anything with it.

I'm sure dan and dave meant no harm, but for two guys who put so much work into their products to read such hackneyed hype is a let down.

ok - angry brad is leaving. Personal rant time over. going to watch some ninja turtles now.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2014, 6:33 pm

Jeez, Brad, it's just advertising hyperbole ... get over it. If you want to bitch about the ad hype of a crap product that's one thing, but when it's a good product who wants to listen? Just get over it. And, no, this is not an invitation for you to go into an extended rant.

AJM

Postby AJM » August 23rd, 2014, 6:50 pm

Agreed.

GlennWest
Favorite Magician: Tyler Wilson

Postby GlennWest » August 23rd, 2014, 7:01 pm

Great news! I have to say, though, that I would have gone with, "The Most Urbane Magician of Our Time."

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 23rd, 2014, 10:01 pm

Is there any detailed list of the actual contents? I seem to be seeing "here are re-releases of all the old videotapes with some new handlings and effects". I'd be interested in seeing a complete accounting of the new material.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on August 24th, 2014, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2014, 10:31 pm

It advertises 8 hours of video. I think Guy has released The London Collection and Reformation previously. That would be a total of 3 hours, tops. Did he make any other videos? Let's say there was another VHS cassette, adding another hour. That would possibly be four hours, meaning that four of the hours are new material. Just a guess.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 23rd, 2014, 10:38 pm

it is advertising hype but it's senseless advertising hype.

ten words.

hardly an extended rant

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 23rd, 2014, 11:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote: That would possibly be four hours, meaning that four of the hours are new material. Just a guess.

I'm more interested in an actual list of contents beyond just the amount of time taken up by the additional material.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on August 23rd, 2014, 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 23rd, 2014, 11:21 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It advertises 8 hours of video. I think Guy has released The London Collection and Reformation previously. That would be a total of 3 hours, tops. Did he make any other videos? Let's say there was another VHS cassette, adding another hour. That would possibly be four hours, meaning that four of the hours are new material. Just a guess.

London Collection was 92 minutes. Routines was 100 minutes. I don't know how long Reformation was, but since it was a single trick, I bet it was a good bit shorter.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2014, 11:27 pm

All advertising hype is essentially senseless, that's why it's called "hype" (short for "hyperbole").

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 24th, 2014, 12:44 am

geez, I agree with Chris!

I'm a huge fan, I've got Routines and London Collection on VHS, DRD, and for my daughter when she was a young child the truly magical "Once Upon a Time".
Reformation isn't in the cards for me (pun sadly intended).

It would be nice to know what I'm actually buying in addition to a nicely decorated cardboard box and a deck of cards.

I've been burned so many times over the decades I realize that nobody is immune to disappointing even their most fervant fans.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 24th, 2014, 1:21 am

In the trailer I noticed Cards Through the Jacket which he performed on EMC (2012, was it?). Is that new material?

Sending emails to Dan and Dave Buck requesting a contents listing would likely yield better results than anyone here can produce.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 24th, 2014, 4:12 am

Ted M wrote:In the trailer I noticed Cards Through the Jacket which he performed on EMC (2012, was it?). Is that new material?

Sending emails to Dan and Dave Buck requesting a contents listing would likely yield better results than anyone here can produce.

Even if it is new, I imagine only a handful of people would learn it because it is so bastard hard.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 24th, 2014, 11:45 am

If the remainder is like this photo

It looks like you get the original material and then updated handlings.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:All advertising hype is essentially senseless, that's why it's called "hype" (short for "hyperbole").

so when we see the ad for the Tenyo book we should dismiss everything you promise it to be as senseless hyperbole?

I don't think that's what you want, is it?

but ads like the one above tend to encourage me to want to do just that.

is that good for anyone?

MManchester

Postby MManchester » August 24th, 2014, 1:00 pm

I left a message on their Facebook announcement for the collection with a link to this thread. Perhaps they'll respond. Don't know if they've participated here before. There's no reason to make potential customers speculate about what they're buying.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2014, 1:05 pm

"Few magicians in the history of magic have changed the way magicians think about what is possible. Prepare to spend 8 hours with one of these rare examples.

guy Hollingsworth took the magic world by storm with Reformation - a single trick which launched an entire craze for the ultimate torn and restored card. Guy made the dream a realityHis limited edition VHS released commanded staggering prices on the secondary market after it quickly sold out.

His book The Drawing Room Conjurer opened many eyes to the elegant possibilities of sleight of hand magic presented thoughtfully and with sophistication. His deft touch and intelligent approach have influenced a generation of magicians who recognize guy as an innovative leader in the world of Magic.

Here is your rare opportunity to witness the breath taking magic of guy Hollingsworth first hand and to learn from the master himself. Over 8 hours of newly shot footage featuring the material which launched him into magical stardom as well as never before released ideas and handlings that will bring you up to date on his current work and vision.

don't miss this rare opportunity to learn from one of magic's truly great artists. "

--- hyperbole but not senseless

see it can be done. (in 6 and a half minutes) I didn't even have to promise that you would lose 20lbs instantly or gain an extra three inches where you might want it Why offer something so smart and under cut that smartness with nonsense in your ad?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Brad, you are so predictable, and tiresome.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 24th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Brad Henderson wrote: Over 8 hours of newly shot footage

I don't think there is 8 hours of new stuff -- maybe 3-1/2 hours of previously released material, and 4-1/2 hours of commentary and new material. (I wish we knew for sure -- as has been said, a detailed list of contents would be nice).

Unless, of course, you were being hyperbolic . . . . (ducks)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2014, 4:53 pm

It appears--I think--that there will be an almost equal amount of old and new material. I'm also eager to have the original VHS tapes on DVD. Who has a videocassette player anymore?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2014, 5:29 pm

sticks and stones Richard. sticks and stones

octopus lampshade Neosporin.

You can advertise and not say things that are utterly ridiculous. You've done it many times yourself.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2014, 5:31 pm

bill, my 'ad' was to demonstrate that one need not fall into the trap of nonsense. I do not know the accurate details of the set. Apparently they would have been better served using words to describe that than promising us a revolution which will never occur.

maybe?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2014, 6:15 pm

The London Collection -
Original 1996 release (92 minutes)
Commentary (102 minutes)

Routines -
Original 1999 Release (101 minutes)
Commentary (80 minutes)

The Reformation -
52 minutes of brand new footage for this trick

Interview (34 minutes)
The Interval (25 minutes)
26 minutes of extra footage

MManchester

Postby MManchester » August 24th, 2014, 8:14 pm

In the trailer I noticed Cards Through the Jacket which he performed on EMC (2012, was it?)

I reviewed his 2010 appearance and he performed the torn and restored card. He did not attend in 2011. In 2012 he did a prediction effect. Unfortunately, I can't find any online videos for Cards Through Jacket. His YouTube channel is empty.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 24th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The London Collection -
Original 1996 release (92 minutes)
Commentary (102 minutes)

Routines -
Original 1999 Release (101 minutes)
Commentary (80 minutes)

The Reformation -
52 minutes of brand new footage for this trick

Interview (34 minutes)
The Interval (25 minutes)
26 minutes of extra footage

That's a good start, thanks for that.

However, "commentary" "new footage" "extra footage" "The Interval" mean very little to me without some actual detail.

Perhaps a listing of the complete text of the DVD menus at would be possible. Hopefully said DVD menu lists are more detailed than the above information.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Someone sent me that information, so that's all I can offer!

Elliott Terral

Postby Elliott Terral » August 24th, 2014, 9:02 pm

So...

Dan and Dave aren't promising a revolution in magic. They're noting that Hollingworth's style influenced a ton of the "visual" magic performances we see today (whether directly or tangentially).

It seems silly to suggest that the twins, who claim to have been heavily influenced by Guy, have not been deeply influential in the contemporary style, especially for the whippersnappers.

As mentioned above, Guy's TnR has been copied, imitated, yada yada yada. So there you go.

Also, with all of the work that they put into making the project happen, the collection poses as an example for how excellent magicians and incredible magic can be treated. I think this quote

"Six years ago we began a voyage to produce a project that possessed potential to transform the world of magic. Today that journey culminates with the release of the Hollingworth Collection, and needless to say, our groundbreaking expectations have been far surpassed."

is much more appropriate to the presentation of such an esteemed collection of material, rather than the effects, themselves, reshaping magic. (more "this is how it should be done"; less "magic tricks do real good and make the world awesomer")

Just because everything isn't explicitly stated doesn't mean that D&D are, by any means, trying to rip anyone off. The word "hype" that is so carelessly thrown around seems much more relevant with regards to some other companies/vendors.

Guy's magic is great. The box set is of the highest quality. I don't see why there's so much frustration regarding this product.

There's plenty of information available regarding the contents. The Interval is a section from Guy's book, btw. "Commentary" probably means a discussion of the effects and different/improved handlings. "New footage" probably means that it's brand new, unpublished footage (obviously). "Extra footage" probably means that there are easter eggs and bonuses that purposefully aren't mentioned (enjoy the hunt).

Hope I've been some help, but honestly, I feel like I just defined some words and pointed out some obvious misunderstandings. Though, I guess that's the purpose of magic forums (no offense, Richard ;) )

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » August 24th, 2014, 9:55 pm

This came up over at the green room, and I'm curious as to the more academic opinions likely to be found here.

I am one of the those who purchased the original VHS teaching tape of 'The Reformation'. It was limited to 50 copies with the promise that it would never be released again. It was released several years later in print form, but I suspect most found it daunting, and I believe it was justified as not being a video format.

So, clearly now it has been newly shot (no doubt much better than before) and re-released. I'm perfectly fine with it, and I look forward to seeing it, but is this an instance of simply going back on one's word? Or is the justification that it's never been released again on VHS sufficient? Or is Guy's opinion, "Eh, I changed my mind."

Just curious what everyone thinks. After all, something that was extremely rare, just became quite a bit less so.

Also, it just occurred to me that perhaps the old VHS versions have been pirated and copied many times over (though I've not heard of or seen pirated versions of it) and Guy knew this, so figured that the rarity had already been compromised.

Elliott Terral

Postby Elliott Terral » August 24th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Travis wrote:This came up over at the green room, and I'm curious as to the more academic opinions likely to be found here.

I am one of the those who purchased the original VHS teaching tape of 'The Reformation'. It was limited to 50 copies with the promise that it would never be released again. It was released several years later in print form, but I suspect most found it daunting, and I believe it was justified as not being a video format.

So, clearly now it has been newly shot (no doubt much better than before) and re-released. I'm perfectly fine with it, and I look forward to seeing it, but is this an instance of simply going back on one's word? Or is the justification that it's never been released again on VHS sufficient? Or is Guy's opinion, "Eh, I changed my mind."

Just curious what everyone thinks. After all, something that was extremely rare, just became quite a bit less so.

Also, it just occurred to me that perhaps the old VHS versions have been pirated and copied many times over (though I've not heard of or seen pirated versions of it) and Guy knew this, so figured that the rarity had already been compromised.

Guy discusses this very matter in the Interview on the collection.

As far as I'm concerned, he didn't go back on his word. It was never re-released on VHS, and several years passed before he published The Reformation in his book. I am not sure that you guys understand how "rarity" works. A limited, first edition baseball card is still exceedingly rarer than an identical reprint that is largely accessible. Your VHS tapes didn't drop in value.

And honestly, who really cares, in the end?

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 24th, 2014, 10:24 pm

MManchester wrote:
In the trailer I noticed Cards Through the Jacket which he performed on EMC (2012, was it?)

I reviewed his 2010 appearance and he performed the torn and restored card. He did not attend in 2011. In 2012 he did a prediction effect. Unfortunately, I can't find any online videos for Cards Through Jacket. His YouTube channel is empty.

I just rewatched all(!) the EMC discs last month. Such a pleasure. Cards Through Jacket is here:

EMC 2012, Disc 5: Guy Hollingworth Talk: Under Your Belt.

As for not re-releasing the original Reformation video, that original video does not appear to be present on the new set -- it's all new footage covering that effect.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » August 24th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Many thanks, Ted! I just started watching the 2012 DVDs. (Yes, I'm two years behind.) I expected it to be a performance segment and not included in a talk. But I am looking forward to seeing it now.
Michael Manchester

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 24th, 2014, 10:35 pm

As an owner an original copy of The Reformation, I have absolutely no problem with Guy putting this out on DVD. He gave folks a video exclusive for 20 years. (Anyone else would have started cranking out copies to cash in at the first hint it was selling well).

Besides, since I have never seen anyone else but Guy do it, I suspect that those that took the time and trouble to learn The Reformation will continue to have a relative exclusive despite the new set. (Just like pretty much every other semi-difficult legendary routine in print--most magicians can't be bothered to put in the elbow grease to master this type of material). Thing is, I actually think the description in the book is better than the video instruction.

Travis

Postby Travis » August 24th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Can't say that I disagree with a single thing that you wrote, erdnasephile.

It's still the best piece-by-piece torn and restored card, in my opinion. All those that came in its wake suffered in method, effect, or usually both. I've performed it in parlor settings, on stage, and even one-on-one, many times over the past 20 years. It's really a fun piece to perform.

There are some really nice touches in the written description that Guy developed after releasing the VHS tape.
Looking forward to getting this new set.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 24th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Still holding out for a detailed index of the actual contents of this set. At $150 being asked for this, I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

Guesswork and assumption do not seem like a firm basis for making informed purchasing decisions.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on August 25th, 2014, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 25th, 2014, 1:26 am

Elliott Terral wrote: Your VHS tapes didn't drop in value.

Oh yeah! These days you literally cannot give away anything on VHS. :(

Travis

Postby Travis » August 25th, 2014, 8:25 am

Believe me, not only could you still give 'The Reformation' away on VHS, you could likely still sell it for quite a lot. There were only 50 copies extant, and, to my knowledge, no one ever started illegally mass-producing them, or even made a pirated digital file available. Everyone was quite protective, myself included.

Return to “Buzz”