New Genii Website Up and New Digital July Edition Live

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
J-Mac

Re: New Genii Website Up and New Digital July Edition Live

Postby J-Mac » June 18th, 2014, 1:28 am

Chris Aguilar wrote:
J-Mac wrote:How do I get to the issues from 1951 through 2012?

Thank you.

Jim

Richard has already noted that the other issues are in process of being uploaded.

OK - Thanks Chris. I didn't see that comment. Good to hear though. :)

Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2014, 11:37 am

Correction: the remaining back issues are in the process of being scanned and will be uploaded in volumes as the scanning continues.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2014, 8:58 pm

We're working on this thing daily to pick up the slack.

Please continue to post if you have problems.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 18th, 2014, 10:22 pm

I spent some time today with the new iPad app.

For the contemporary issues it seems faster to me. I think the biggest improvement is in reading the older issues. Access to older issues through ASK ALEXANDER was sluggish at best. The new app MUCH faster and easier. Thanks to everyone who has worked (and continues to work) to improve our digital access to Genii!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 19th, 2014, 9:56 am

Folks, two things.

First, the company that is handling our iGenii system on all platforms is reading this thread: if you're having problems or have comments about the apps or reading the magazine on your computer, please post them here.

Second: with the help of a godlike figure who works in the background, our database has hopefully been fixed. The system will be rebooted sometime today. When the site is relaunched with the updated user data later today, users who have changed their password, account name, and email since last Friday will have that data reset.

Also, every user must have a valid email address,

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 19th, 2014, 10:53 am

The old newspaper article in the Charlie Frye piece isn't legible. I've noticed this under the old system as well, that sometimes photos and other digital images aren't sharp and clear.

Are files being compressed more than necessary?

Michel Andenmatten

Postby Michel Andenmatten » June 20th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Hi Richard,

Does this mean that subscribers with a different email address from the original one on Ask Alexander will then be able to read Genii on their tablet again?

I currently get the message that I have no active subscription and am unable to reset the password to my previous email address, also because the address does not exist anymore.

Thanks,

Michel

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Michel, the system will be rebooted with an updated version of the database in the next few days and then you'll be able to log in any way you like (computer, tablet, phone, etc.)
Sorry for the inconvenience.

colin

Postby colin » June 22nd, 2014, 11:48 pm

Received my copy of July Genii today (Monday 23 July) in Auckland, New Zealand - very impressed with service as this is second month in row that Genii has arrived before the beginning of month. In fact this may be the earliest I have received it.

Colin

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » June 23rd, 2014, 5:06 pm

Has the new version been "rebooted"? I've read everything I can, but I still get "no active subscriptions".

What there a next step?

Thanks.....

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 23rd, 2014, 6:27 pm

Steve, extensive work has been done on the database over the past week, which continued into today. We don't want to replace the database until we're sure that everything is ready.

Have you tried to log in using your email address and password? All logins are now tied to your email address rather than your existing user name.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » June 23rd, 2014, 7:24 pm

My problem persists. I have no problems logging on and participating in the forum. The system recognizes me as a subscriber.

When I click on "Issues", I'm taken to a page that displays the recent issues. But when I click on an issue, a new page opens and a vertical tool bar briefly appears on the right side of the page. Then the whole screen goes white, and the bottom, horizontal tool bar says "Done." That's as far as I can get.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 23rd, 2014, 8:08 pm

The Forum has nothing to do with the digital magazine system.

Tom, what browser and type of machine are you using? Pop-up blockers turned off?

Do you have the latest version of Flash installed?

Are you using IE? (If so, dump it).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 23rd, 2014, 11:28 pm

I've been told that the new version of the database has been uploaded. This should fix most login problems.

Member Categories:

1. Existing Digital Members: If you already have a User Name and Password from Ask Alexander, you may use those to log in. I believe that your email address can now also function as your User Name.

2. New Digital Members:

A. If you have just subscribed, you will have created a Password during that process.

B. If you have been a subscriber but have never activated your digital account before, your User Name is your email address, and your password is the unique Member ID number that Genii has provided to you on the label of the plastic bag containing your magazine. (You may retrieve this number by contacting the Genii office at 301-652-5800, or by email at genii@geniimagazine.com; you will need to provide the email address which matches your account in order to retrieve your Member ID.)

3. AMA Members: Your User Name is your email address; your Password is your AMA member number.

Note that passwords may be changed once you have created an account by going to the tab at the top marked "Account" and scrolling down. You will find the controls on the right side.

If anyone still is having a problem, please contact the Genii office as noted above. Margret and I now have access to the database and can double check and fix email addresses and passwords.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » June 24th, 2014, 12:36 am

My experience so far:

On my Mac desktop with Safari: Seems to work fine for the most part. One thing that is annoying is that one must click on"issues" twice in order to see the past issues. Until I realized that I needed to open one of the recent issues that appear the first time before I can click on "issues" again to bring up the archived issues, I was under the impression that the program was not working correctly. I would bet that others have gone through this learning process unless I am just dense.

On my iPad 2: Works okay except that there is no audio to accompany the videos and no audio on the audio links either. Someone else reported this problem on another board. Also if I try to flip pages using the right hand arrow on a page shortly after opening an issue, the whole app stops running and I have to open it again.

Also, I wish that i could use my user name instead of my email address as I am lazy and do not like typing out my whole address instead of 8 characters.

My Android tablet's battery died and I have not really experimented with that version yet.

BTW, Mr. K. I really do not understand your aversion to IE. I own several Windows machines also, and I have tried Opera, Chrome and Firefox and I went back to IE every time. I do not remember the reasons why, but they were good ones.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2014, 1:37 am

Bill, you do not have to type in your email address every time. Just click the "Remember Me" button and you'll only have to log in once in a while.

I will alert the company about the problem with the audio in the Apple app.

Thanks.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 24th, 2014, 1:31 pm

In case this helps: the new password with which I've been accessing the iGenii the past few days no longer works. The recent "updating" of the database has knocked it back to the old Ask Alexander password. Give that a try if you are in the same boat.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » June 24th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Bill Marquardt wrote:My experience so far:

On my iPad 2: Works okay except that there is no audio to accompany the videos and no audio on the audio links either. Someone else reported this problem on another board. Also if I try to flip pages using the right hand arrow on a page shortly after opening an issue, the whole app stops running and I have to open it again.

Re the iPad, try with headphones on. I get sound that way, and it's something I've noticed with other apps and games. Not every one, so it seems like there must be a setting in the app itself that tells it not to play audio over the speakers.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

The lack of sound is not a problem with the app because I have an iPad2 and the sound comes out loud and clear.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Steve, no, that "new" password will not work because it was not included in the reboot of the database.

No one should be having any trouble logging in at this point if you use your email address as your User Name, and your old Password. Call Margret if you're having trouble: 301-652-5800.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Okay: for folks who don't have sound on the audio and video, I need to know what model iPad you have, and what version of iOS (the operating system) you are using.

Our company suggested that the first thing you do is update your operating system to the current version.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » June 24th, 2014, 6:50 pm

I am using an iPad2 model # MC916LL/A (64GB) with iOS 7.1.1.

As mentioned above, it does produce sound through the headphone jack but not through the speaker. I had never seen this condition before and just learned about it from reading the post above.

I have scoured my settings and cannot find anything that would cause this condition.

ADDED in edit: I just checked with an external speaker that connects via Bluetooth. That works.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2014, 6:57 pm

It turns out that the problem with the sound has nothing to do with us: it's an Apple problem. Read this:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24022240

Note this Fix from that thread: "I was having the same issue. I tried resetting as suggested with no luck. I then went to settings, general, then on the bottom right of the screen is Reset option. By going this route, my sound is back!"

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » June 24th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Okay. It is definitely an Apple problem. As suggested in the link you posted, Richard, I reset my iPad. This did nothing for me. I then went into the Settings / General and set the slide switch to Lock Rotation. This brought sound back to the speaker.

I am going to guess this problem has something to do with the latest OS upgrade. It seems the slide switch programming is the culprit, as before I noticed the sound problem (only with Genii Magazine app, Music worked fine) I was having trouble with the rotation lock.

Thanks, Richard, but now I am a little peeved that my $700 iPad has problems like this. My next tablet will be a Samsung, I assure you, so please keep up the support for Android.

By the way, using a hi-fi external speaker makes Max Maven sound really spooky.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Bill, I'm very glad to have been able to solve the problem so easily. It just took a minute on Google: "iPad no sound."

I'm glad you now have sound, I hope you'll pass the word along to others who may have the same problem.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » June 25th, 2014, 1:39 am

Based on the comments in the linked site and my own experience, I strongly believe that when Apple produced one of the updates for the iPad, they changed some of the code affecting the slide switch, a switch that can also mute the iPad. Being a former programmer, I know how these things can happen. I would guess that the new Genii app and apparently a few other apps somehow corrupt that code even though they are following the correct protocols in the Software Development Kit (SDK.)

I never had a problem with the old Genii app. The problems with the slide switch and the loss of sound did not occur until the new app was installed. Perhaps a coincidence, but perhaps not.

Hopefully, the problem is solved, so thanks again and I shall pass the word around. I really do appreciate your "hands on" approach to running things.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Is anyone else having specific problems, or do you have questions, about the browser or app versions of iGenii?

Please state specific problems here so we can address them.

A new version of the Android app is being worked on as I write this.

Don't be shy about asking questions or stating problems if you have them! We want your experience to be pleasant, not frustrating.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 25th, 2014, 3:13 pm

I'm having much better luck with the web access. I keep trying to use the Android app and the slowness and sheer buggy nature of it keep driving me away. I'll try to list some specific issues when I get a chance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Chris, please do. I went over it myself this morning and sent a list of notes to the company. The good news is that they're working on an update.

In the meantime, more issues from 2012 have gone up today.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 25th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Quick update: Just tried the search function on a MacBook Pro (OS X Mavericks, latest Flash Player, Safari etc.). Search has the same problems I reported above for Windows 7/IE & Chrome

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Thanks: the Search function is broken. They know it, and are working on fixing it. Lots of small fires to put out.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » June 25th, 2014, 11:55 pm

I just tried the Android app earlier today. Besides the search problem and general slowness already mentioned, I noticed that you must use your email and not the username you created for Ask Alexander. Doesn’t tell you that; it just doesn’t accept the username.

Thank you.

Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2014, 12:27 am

I think we've told everyone to now use their email address in order to log in.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » June 26th, 2014, 1:14 am

You probably have, but since I was logging in to the Windows PC version using a Password Manager I didn't realize I was logging in (successfully) with my Ask Alexander username instead. On the Android I had to actually look it up in LastPass and only then noticed that it was filling in the username!

Had to dig around a little to find what email address I had used!

Thanks!

Jim

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 5th, 2014, 5:35 am

July GENII received today in Manchester, England.

Return to “Buzz”