Hold On! Second Genii Convention Coming in Oct. 2015

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Hold On! Second Genii Convention Coming in Oct. 2015

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 15th, 2014, 3:08 pm

As soon as we sign the contract with the hotel. It appears that we are looking at the beginning of October.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 15th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Del Rey used to have 30 or more people gathered around his table and no one felt as if they were outside of the action.

Were you in Austin Richard? I don't remember seeing you there. I assure you, we managed to make sure everyone saw clearly without monitors.

How many people fit into the castle closeup room? No monitors needed there.

I've watched Bill Malone provide an excellent closeup experience for two/three dozen people. Same with Conover, mead, del gaudio ... of course each was performing in a space designed to facilitate closeness and allow ease of vision.

true close up? no. But a positive, enjoyable, interactive UP Close magical experience - yes, It can be done

Whether the performer has the experience and presentational competence to do so is one thing. Whether you want to create a viable space in which this can happen or not is a another
matter altogether.

just please don't put the closeup table up on a stage. when I see a close up table on a stage I'm tempted to walk out and just buy the DVD.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 15th, 2014, 4:27 pm

The Close-Up Gallery at the Magic Castle seats 18, I believe.

No, I was not in Austin.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » June 15th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Well Brad. The problem there is that with say oh... 500 folx. at say 30 per intimate room. That equals a LOT of sets for the poor bastards working.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 16th, 2014, 8:54 am

at The Session convention, Da Ortiz did 3 lots of his show. I guess it was around 70 at a time. Worked perfectly.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 16th, 2014, 9:23 am

In the old days of Blackpool, people did six sets in succession. Then they split the close up so they did six sets, twice. Now, I think they do one set on camera in teeny-weeny-eye-strain-o-vision.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2014, 8:15 pm

But, Damian, we will have exponentially more people than The Session.

Herb

Postby Herb » June 17th, 2014, 1:20 am

I know that I'm being willfully idealistic about this, but it seems to me that the one place where conditions for viewing magic should be optimized is a magic convention. I think it's a significant problem that there are so few places these days where it is possible to view live magic directly. We all get enough of watching things on screens every day, and no matter what, the experience of viewing magic is compromised when watched through a remote monitor.

Recently Nothing to Hide was presented in an Off-Broadway theatre that seated more than 100 people, perhaps closer to 200 actually. I think to a large extent the effectiveness of closeup magic to somewhat larger audiences depends on the nature of the show that is selected.

In any event, I am sure there are solutions that can be found with the determination and creativity that seems to be in no short supply in the land of Genii.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2014, 10:44 am

No one has ever found a solution that is 100% satisfactory to all spectators and all performers.

Nothing to Hide was not close-up magic.

Ricky Jay's 52 Assistants was essentially close-up magic done in a parlor presentation. It worked very well in small venues because the seats in a theater are raked.

You will never see real close-up magic done in a genuine close-up situation at a formal event at a magic convention. It's not possible. Convention organizers have been trying to figure out how best to replicate it for half a century, since conventions starting getting large.

WhoDeanie

Postby WhoDeanie » June 19th, 2014, 11:03 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I couldn't get David Berglas to come to the first convention. He just wasn't up to it.

You could try Charlie Frye & Company....I recently read a nice magazine article on them someplace.

Woody Arragon is fantastic.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 19th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Both of whom were at the first Bash :)

Return to “Buzz”