Stevens Control

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Julie Eng

Stevens Control

Postby Julie Eng » May 6th, 2014, 2:31 pm

While working on our Erdnase project, Card Table Artifice for Luminato (http://www.magicana.com/performances/luminato-2014/card-table-artifice/) we came across a video clip on the Magic Cafe by "AmcD", demonstrating his version of the Stevens Control.

As many of you may know, I work with David Ben. And as many of you also know, David has more than a passing interest in Dad Stevens.

David found AMcD's posting of the Stevens Control particularly interesting, mostly because David's convinced that AMcD is using the (incorrect) technique as described in the Fulves material (a reconstruction by Braue which ended up in Karl Fulves' hands courtesy of the late Jeff Busby).

So, I was asked to put a collection of clips of David's interpretation of the Control to share on the Cafe. And how could he possibly ask me to post there, without posting here, too?!

So for those who may be interested, here is the link:
http://davidben.com/stevens-control-demo/

Hope you find it interesting.

Julie Eng

Re: Stevens Control

Postby Julie Eng » May 6th, 2014, 3:10 pm

There was an inquiry from the Magic Cafe about where exactly was the correct description if the Fulves' version was incorrect...

Here's what I posted, and I quote from David Ben:

“The best description of the move which sadly, has been in plain sight since the early 60s, is in Dai Vernon’s More Inner Secrets of Card Magic, page 55, ‘To bring cards to the top'."

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 6th, 2014, 4:57 pm

That's cool and all, but can he do that using Dai Vernon's TRIUMPH shuffle? My Dad can.

;)

Julie Eng

Postby Julie Eng » May 6th, 2014, 6:54 pm

mrgoat wrote:That's cool and all, but can he do that using Dai Vernon's TRIUMPH shuffle? My Dad can.

;)

Yes, he can. :)

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » May 7th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Nice work!

Larry

prodigy

Postby prodigy » May 8th, 2014, 1:03 am

Looks like AmCD did respond:
-------------------—-------------------------

Hi,

Usually, when David has something to tell me, he sends an email, I'm really surprised he didn't behave like so this time . Anyway.

The technique he shows, I know it. But I don't use it because the discrepancies too visible (for me!):

- When he adds 2 cards on top;
- And above all, during the last "riffle".

That said, he does it very well.

Thanks for the videos!

AMcD

Postby AMcD » May 14th, 2014, 2:28 am

Hi all.

I just ran across this thread (no one told me it existed and I don't visit genii on a frequent basis), therefore, sorry for the late answer.

1. As I don't explain/detail on the video which technique I use, I don't know how David can infer I'm incorrect. Above all, considering the speed I'm shuffling (far faster than him)!

2. Due to the poor description given by Vernon in 1960, my gratitude to the one claiming he's got the exact handling.

3. Braue, Busby, Vernon... well, there are tons of interpretations and variants. I have mine as well (soon to be published). I don't claim I'm 100% right or following Vernon perfectly. But who knows what Vernon meant really? Are there still people believing dad Stevens really existed?

Anyway, nice videos from David.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 14th, 2014, 10:37 am

Perhaps you might consider posting a link to your video so we can see the differences?

Return to “Buzz”