Best Version of Lubor Fiedler's Gozinta Boxes EVER

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Chas Nigh

Re: Best Version of Lubor Fiedler's Gozinta Boxes EVER

Postby Chas Nigh » December 8th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Fred Kaps performed this on TV. Got a tremendous reaction. Of course this was Fred Kaps.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 8th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Here's Paul Daniels' take:

(After watching a bunch of performances by different folks on-line, I can safely say that any non-intentional fumbling when trying to assemble the boxes makes the working rather evident indeed.)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 8th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Wow, the illusion is sensitive to turning/fumbling. Consistency of action and any cues about geometry (stop, adjust, twist) ...

Still a remarkable item.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 8th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Wow, the illusion is sensitive to turning/fumbling. Consistency of action and any cues about geometry (stop, adjust, twist) ...

Still a remarkable item.

Yes--I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but there must be something unduly tricky about performing this effect because even Mr. Fiedler himself fumbled a bit (and he's certainly not the only one who did based on performance videos of this effect):

Maybe it's like Hamman's Two Card Trick, where you have to refresh your memory of how to do it every time you want to perform it.

I think if I were going to perform this one, I'd put some marks on the pieces to make sure they get lined up right every time.
Last edited by erdnasephile on December 8th, 2015, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 8th, 2015, 5:02 pm

If you watch my Genii Speaks video the month this was released, you will see that I also fumbled TWICE when performing it and couldn't help but laugh. The smaller the prop, the easier it is to do. Something psychological happening there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

lybrary

Postby lybrary » December 8th, 2015, 5:55 pm

There is nothing psychological going on here. The problem is simple physics. These boxes have to fit very tightly, otherwise the illusion is not as strong. So the gap between the nesting boxes is tiny. This means that when you pull out the inner box you are creating a vacuum at the bottom between the boxes which makes it hard to un-nest the boxes. This gets harder to do the bigger the boxes are.

One way to fix this is to make small holes in the bottom corners of both boxes. This gives air additional paths to get between the boxes making it much easier to separate them.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 8th, 2015, 6:40 pm

lybrary wrote:There is nothing psychological going on here. The problem is simple physics. These boxes have to fit very tightly, otherwise the illusion is not as strong. So the gap between the nesting boxes is tiny. This means that when you pull out the inner box you are creating a vacuum at the bottom between the boxes which makes it hard to un-nest the boxes. This gets harder to do the bigger the boxes are.

One way to fix this is to make small holes in the bottom corners of both boxes. This gives air additional paths to get between the boxes making it much easier to separate them.

Perhaps. However, in the clips I've reviewed, the fumbling has to do with putting the boxes together using the wrong dimensions. Once the performer gets the correct sized sides lined up, they go in just fine.

That said, the small holes makes a lot of sense to deal with the other problem.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 8th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Hi L*, E*

Nothing obvious - it's the fumble - especially a twist that alerts my spacial perceptions to challenge the "it's a cube" idea. L*, the engineering concerns are real and get much greater (square or cube) with the size of the boxes. The consistency of action, that the nesting happens at the same speed as the un-nesting ... would be a help. Your idea for air vents makes good sense.

Here's what I can perceive of my own watching of the item. I'm following along as if we are opening ordinary boxes that are nested ... until something being adjusted alerts me. Then the question comes about height/width difference. That changes what I'm looking for when the box lid goes on and I notice whether the lid sits on the box rim or on the inside box top.

Okay that's my interior awareness. What do you notice when you watch?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

lybrary

Postby lybrary » December 8th, 2015, 9:24 pm

The same air issue happens when boxes are closed. Due to the deep lids air has a hard time escaping a box to allow for the lid to go on fully. To help with the correct orientation with the boxes I use boxes with text on them from which I get visual clues to how they need to be put together. See here the triple gozinta boxes http://www.lybrary.com/triple-gozinta-boxes-a-23.html
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 8th, 2015, 10:01 pm

lybrary wrote:See here the triple gozinta boxes http://www.lybrary.com/triple-gozinta-boxes-a-23.html

Piece of cake! :lol:

Why don't you let me print it in Genii?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Peter Prevos

Postby Peter Prevos » October 1st, 2016, 2:43 am

Like to make your own gozinta boxes?

Download the Gozinta Box Construction Kit to create your own props.

Go to http://magicperspectives.net/gozinta-boxes/ and download the pdf file which includes instructions.

Simply print, cut, fold and glue.

Peter Prevos
magicperspectives.net

Return to “Buzz”