Alexander de Cova's Scrapobook Magazine

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Alexander de Cova's Scrapobook Magazine

Postby Matthew Field » January 17th, 2014, 6:29 am

Alexander de Cova is a very creative magician from Germany whose L&L DVD set, Enigmatic, has been justifiably highly praised. I got to know him during my time helping Patrick Page with his book; Alex had hired Pat as a consultant and was visiting his flat.

Alex has decided to publish a pdf magazine with a new one coming out about twice a month. It’s called “Scrapbook” and it’s 8 pages long (easy to print out) and you purchase each issue as it’s published (no subscription hassles).

The first issue features a finesse and several ideas with Al Koran’s 5-Star forcing deck. There’s a very clever idea allowing you to speed-load a ring into a “sealed” envelope in a wallet, then use the gimmick as a gag in the trick. Clipped Out is a finesse with the gimmicked switching bulldog clip. Then Alex muses about the relationship between music, specifically the Irish squeezebox, and magic. And his column Enthymemata has seven brief thoughts about everything from stacked decks to the most successful close-up theatre in Germany.

All this is a mere $7 (£5) per issue, and I think it’s more than worth it. I like Alexander’s thinking and the short pieces provided me with a welcome break from my heavy-duty delving into “Non Plus Ultra.”

Alexander’s nom de plume for all this is Alaisdair McCova, and he sort of explains why in the magazine’s pages. The level of expertise assumed is intermediate (there are no explanations of simple sleights, and it is assumed, for example, that you understand what the Koran forcing deck is). I suggest you check it out at http://www.solidmagic.org.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Alexander de Cova's Scrapobook Magazine

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 17th, 2014, 7:38 am

Sounds great!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » January 17th, 2014, 11:12 pm

I purchased the first Scrapbook early this morning and have not yet received a link to the pdf file. Two emails have gone unanswered. Anyone else experience the same problem? I also registered for the website, but it is no help, either.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » January 17th, 2014, 11:50 pm

We carry all of Alexander de Cova's digital products at Lybrary.com http://www.lybrary.com/alexander-de-cova-m-225193.html if you want an immediate gratification and reliable service that we have provided to the magic community for more than 14 years.

Alexander is a busy guy living in a different time zone. I am sure he will eventually answer. His material is certainly worth the wait.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Alex de Cova
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Alex de Cova » January 18th, 2014, 2:06 am

@Don - I sent out the PDF manually to you this morning. Sorry for the time delay, but it's different time zones. Still don't understand why you didn't get an e-mail with the download link. Also, I wrote to you to login into your account, there are your downloads as well.

Might be a good idea as well to check your spam folder of your e-mail program. Sometimes these e-mails with the download links are accidently considered to be spam by some progs.

In the future, if you don't like buying at solidmagic.org, feel free to order with Chris at lybrary.com, maybe his system is easier for you. Alexander
NOTAS - my first book in English coming soon.
Read more about it on http://www.solidmagic.org/notas

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » January 18th, 2014, 3:49 am

Ordered the magazine yesterday and I received immediately the mail with the link and, in any case, the link was available straight away in the "thank you" page that came after the payment.

The magazine is very nice, like Fulves' Chronicles or Pallbearer's Review: the sort of magazines my generation grew up with. The material is also excellent and very thought provoking. I look forward to the next issue(s).
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.com

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magic history and collecting magazine.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » January 18th, 2014, 7:55 am

Got it! Thanks.

Return to “Buzz”