Ricky Jay for $2

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Ricky Jay for $2

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 26th, 2013, 7:32 am

For those who might recall, Ricky Jay appeared on "Saturday Night Live" back in 1977.

For $1.99 you can go on Amazon and purchase that episode ("instant view" or Kindle download).

It's the 12th episode of the second season with Ruth Gordon and Chuck Berry (put SNL the Complete Second Season into the search engine).

The last time I saw this was the night it aired, so I enjoyed seeing it again after all these years. He opens with the "Laughing Card Trick" and goes on from there (about 5 minutes).

He's at the 50 minute mark in the show. Overall it's not the best show, but it has its moments. The Cold Open is equal parts funny and sad (now, as it's about John Belushi). Laraine Newman takes a funny shot at Barbara Streisand. Right before RJ is a "Mr. Bill" film where he becomes a magician's assistant; as only Mr. Bill can. (Oh, and just for fun, right about the 64 minute mark, look for the accused murderer in the audience.)

Dustin

P.T. Murphy

Re: Ricky Jay for $2

Postby P.T. Murphy » October 26th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the heads up.
"Those who do not believe in magic
will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 26th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Also available via Netflix.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 26th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Cool! Ricky is also a background character in a Ruth Gordon sketch at about 37:27.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » October 26th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Thanks Dustin!
(How did you find this?)
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 26th, 2013, 5:15 pm

I saw that the second season of SNL was available on DVD. It says "complete," but you know how that goes sometimes. I saw that you can buy individual shows, so using IMDb, I figured out which episode Ricky was on. I bought it to make sure he was there. Now I don't need to buy the whole set just to get RJ's appearance.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 26th, 2013, 8:12 pm

While you are looking at old SNL's, the following episodes have Harry Anderson in them:
season 7 episode 3 hosted by George Kennedy
s7e13 Elizabeth Ashley
s8e3 Ron Howard
s8e9 Eddie Murphy
s8e12 Sid Caesar
s8e20 Ed Koch
s9e14 Edwin Newman
s10e13 Harry Anderson

Travis

Postby Travis » October 27th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Watched this on Netflix last night. Thanks for the heads up, Dustin! I'd not seen it before and I always enjoy these old clips of Ricky's performances. It's interesting how some of the lines he was using, several of which he still uses to this day, feel more forced than than they do now. He seems much more comfortable in his skin now, but that's true of all of us as we age and grow in performance. It felt as though he wasn't truly communicating with the people onstage with him, whereas when I watch him now (as in '52 Assistants') there's a comfortableness and ease and he really seems to engage the audiences and participants, even when delivering archaic or unusual, flowery speech. It suits him just right.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 27th, 2013, 1:45 pm

That's an astute observation and one that I think Ricky would agree with. I have heard him talk about just that in regard to his growth as a performer.

Return to “Buzz”