Another change on Ebay.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mehtas

Another change on Ebay.

Postby mehtas » October 24th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Seem like you cannot see buyers ID on seller feedback page.

Wonder Why ????

Kevin Connolly

Re: Another change on Ebay.

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 24th, 2013, 7:38 pm

I think that's the way it has been for a few years. Ebay tries to limit direct contact with potential buyers or sellers.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » October 24th, 2013, 7:38 pm

So that others can't "farm" business from other people's buyers.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 25th, 2013, 12:51 am

And so Ebay gets the maximum in fees is probably the most significant reason.

What I would really like to know is that no one challenged Ebay in the USA in forcing most sellers to use Paypal(Another Ebay company and fee) to pay for items. This is not so in some European countries.
Please visit my website.

mehtas

Postby mehtas » October 25th, 2013, 6:26 am

Kevin Connolly wrote:
I think that's the way it has been for a few years...

Bidders ID ver hidden in the bidders count of the Auction/BIN page yes, but never in the main feedback page until last 24 hours.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 25th, 2013, 6:57 am

Kevin Connolly wrote:And so Ebay gets the maximum in fees is probably the most significant reason.

What I would really like to know is that no one challenged Ebay in the USA in forcing most sellers to use Paypal(Another Ebay company and fee) to pay for items. This is not so in some European countries.

On what basis did the Europeans challenge the use of paypal?

I'm not defending the policy, but since ebay is a private company and selling on ebay is a voluntary activity, wouldn't ebay have the legal right to require payment in any form that it wishes?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » October 25th, 2013, 9:36 am

ebay effectively blocked / prohibited other payment processors from even being mentioned on their site creating a situation whereby you had 2 sorts of listing; 1 that says "buy this item, pay with paypal, you'll be completely and totally protected" and others that said "buy this item, we won't tell you how you can pay for it, it's all a secret, good luck....." and thus creating a very very un-level playing field whereby you effectively had no choice but to use paypal. Since they're already verging on a monopoly there's laws in various EU countries that put restrictions on their actions to ensure that other payment processors have a fair chance.

It's the same with microsoft windows - in Europe when you install windows you then get directed to options pages where you can choose to install Internet Explorer as the core software to handle your internet needs, but 5 or 6 other browsers are also listed with equal prominence to ensure that there's competition and variety.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 25th, 2013, 9:37 am

erdnasephile wrote:
Kevin Connolly wrote:And so Ebay gets the maximum in fees is probably the most significant reason.

On what basis did the Europeans challenge the use of paypal?

I'm not defending the policy, but since ebay is a private company and selling on ebay is a voluntary activity, wouldn't ebay have the legal right to require payment in any form that it wishes?

Probably not, since Ebay is not the seller. From my old coin days, a seller had to accept US legal tender for a purchase.
Please visit my website.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 25th, 2013, 4:38 pm

And here is another change ...

In the past when I wanted to purchase an item with a money order, I would first contact the seller to see if they would agree to this (90% of the time they were OK with it). Then I would place a bid or use the buy it now feature. Ebay would then generate an invoice and send it to me. I would make a copy of the invoice and send it along with the money order. No problem.

Now, when you hit the buy it now button, the transaction will not go through until you enter your paypal info, making it virtually impossible to complete a purchase without a paypal account. Virtually, but not totally. When I first encountered this situation (and I have not dealt with ebay since), I went ahead and sent a money order to the seller as we had agreed. When he received it, he sent me the item and removed the listing (which had remained up for the entire time that my payment was in transit).

So now, if you want to pay by money order or check, you are compelled to deal directly with the seller, which in addition to being somewhat difficult, is of course, against Ebay's policies. Unless the seller went through some extraneous effort to ensure that it happened, I'm sure Ebay received no fee in the above transaction.

I would think that by limiting the method of payment, you limit the number of buyers, and in turn limit the number of sales. A bad situation for both sellers and buyers. I guess the benefit to Ebay, of making Paypal ubiquitous, outweighs all other considerations.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 25th, 2013, 5:03 pm

By making Paypal, Ebay owned, the only method of payment, Ebay can tack on more fees. It's a win/win situation for them. For the ones that don't use Paypal, they are outweighed by people who are forced to.
Please visit my website.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 25th, 2013, 5:21 pm

I believe that since Ebay is a publicly traded US Corporation, they are required by US law to make every decision with the sole aim of maximizing shareholder return. Thus, if it makes more money for eBay to force paypal on their users, they have to do it that way.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 25th, 2013, 6:36 pm

I think there is still a very old law that's still on the books that a seller must accept US legal tender. It may also state that if it is not accepted, the item is perceived free after an attempt to pay.

I might fuzzy on this last part, as this was when I was in the coin world 30+ years ago.
Please visit my website.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 25th, 2013, 9:14 pm

What I think is a lot more inconvenient is Amazon's new free shipping policy:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/22/pf/amaz ... index.html

Smurf

Postby Smurf » October 25th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Regarding this idea: "Unless the seller went through some extraneous effort to ensure that it happened, I'm sure Ebay received no fee in the above transaction."

From my Ebay experience, they charge the seller the percentage as soon as the item sells, not when they receive the payment. I have had to cancel a few transactions lately and when you finally complete the resolution process and the transaction is cancelled, Ebay states that now I have received a final value fee credit.

If the seller doesn't go through the process to have a transaction cancelled, then the seller is paying the Ebay fee. As the buyer, if you didn't receive a request for cancellation then the buyer would have paid the fees. The seller can only unilaterally cancel a transaction after starting the resolution process which gives the buyer a minimum of 4-days to respond.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » October 25th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I think the issue with checks and credit cards is the difficulty in furnishing proof that the payment was sent and/or that the payment was received. This could lead to many disputes from both sides of the transactions which can be frustrating for both buyers and sellers.

While checks and money orders aren't accepted by PayPal/Ebay, you don't actually have to be a Paypal member to pay by credit card through PayPal. You can go through the process as a guest if the seller is a Premier or Business account holder with PayPal.

I've had people buy off of me on Ebay who aren't PayPal account holders but they have been able to make the credit card payment as a guest.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 26th, 2013, 6:31 am

Smurf wrote:Regarding this idea: "Unless the seller went through some extraneous effort to ensure that it happened, I'm sure Ebay received no fee in the above transaction."

From my Ebay experience, they charge the seller the percentage as soon as the item sells, not when they receive the payment. I have had to cancel a few transactions lately and when you finally complete the resolution process and the transaction is cancelled, Ebay states that now I have received a final value fee credit.

If the seller doesn't go through the process to have a transaction cancelled, then the seller is paying the Ebay fee. As the buyer, if you didn't receive a request for cancellation then the buyer would have paid the fees. The seller can only unilaterally cancel a transaction after starting the resolution process which gives the buyer a minimum of 4-days to respond.

In my case, there was no transaction as far as Ebay knew. They would not let the transaction happen until I entered my Paypal info, which I did not have. So I just sent the seller a money order and when he received it, he sent me my item and removed the listing from Ebay. Unless Ebay charges a fee for removing a listing, then they got nothing from this transaction.

Nooner

Postby Nooner » October 26th, 2013, 8:21 am

There is some incorrect information in this thread about eBay

1. Immediate PayPal payment on checkout is a seller selected option. You can choose to not force immediate payment via PayPal. If you don't like the way the auction was setup, blame the player not the game.

2. eBay does support other online payment options than PayPal. Skrill and ProPay to name two. Details are here : http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/methods.html

Return to “Buzz”