Announcing The David Neighbors Project - Volume One

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mark Tams

Announcing The David Neighbors Project - Volume One

Postby Mark Tams » October 2nd, 2013, 11:57 pm

Conjuration Publications is proud to announce the release of The David Neighbors Project, Volume One, Defining The Edges Of The Box.

The inception of this project began approximately 5 years ago. October 3rd 2013, begins the pre-print publication release of David Neighbors first volume of comprehensive work on coin magic. The entire story and details can be viewed at the following website:

http://conjurationpublications.wordpress.com/

The David Neighbors Project is scheduled to be a 5 volume anthology. David is a creative machine who will continue to brainstorm and invent for years to come. Volume One, Defining The Edges Of The Box is the first of 5 volumes on David Neighbors world of coin magic.

The David Neighbors Project, Volume One is broken into three chapters and includes 70 routines, 2 essays, 247 hardbound pages, 152 illustrations and has remarkable dust cover artwork that stands alone. The collection of all 5 volumes will produce beautiful artwork from Art Director, Phil Young and artistic drawings from Tony Cabral.

Debut – The reader will find within this chapter, routines on the production of coins coupled with the vanish of coins, but also vice versa. There are routines that will have effects within the confines of the productions and vanishes of the routine with the addition of transitions, transpositions and changes.

Under A Spell – David has approached the Spellbound theme with vigor over the years adding his ability to be outside the box. Under A Spell provides many different, new and thought provoking ideas on the subject of Spellbound.

Through and Through – Needless to say, coins through the table is a classic in magic. David has approached this plot the same way he does with all plots. Adding David’s material on coins through the table to the predecessors and current day performer’s material will provide a valuable resource for this effect.

The final effect in this chapter is titled Trilogy and has been in David’s repertoire for 35+ years. The first time this routine is witnessed, it will fool you . . . period! Trilogy is also a showpiece and is worth the price of the book.

Take a few minutes of your time and go to the website to review the story of this incredible project. The site will provide all of the details of the book and a little fun along the way.

Remember, the pre-print publication closes November 30th 2013. Volume One will not be reprinted until all five volumes of the work has been completed. Don’t wait, get on the list and get your book reserved.

Kent Gunn

Re: Announcing The David Neighbors Project - Volume One

Postby Kent Gunn » October 3rd, 2013, 2:34 am

I've know David longer than I've known any other magician. He and I were the "kids" in the Denver magic scene, in the seventies. He was incredibly talented back then. He went on to be one of the finest coin magicians that has ever lived. Me . . . okay I didn't exactly focus on magic, but I know Dave Neighbors. David got me to take lessons from the finest close-up magician in Denver, as well. I owe him a great deal. I've hired David to do shows in Denver and he was the featured performer at a West Coast convention I used to run. Few of the west coast boys knew about David. He completely enthralled the West Coasties. That crew has brought just him out for a lecture tour of Northern California, since that convention. His magic will take you under his spell.

I've seen hours of David's routines, hours and hours. No sarcasm is implied here, it was all great, earth-shattering magic. To this day I use several fine points and sleights I've only ever seen David use.

His published work, to this point is massive. Many a fine set of lecture notes, at least a dozen smaller books have been brought to market. This effort, a compendium of his works is something David deserves to have happen. This is something every serious coin magician will be interested in.

This is the best magical news I've had in a very, very long time.

I cannot wait to receive my copy. I'd buy one just because David's an old (older than me, hah) friend. In this case though, I'm excited to read and work on the magic of . . .

THE SINGLE MOST PROLIFIC COIN MAGICIAN OF ALL TIME! THE GREATEST INNOVATOR OF GAFFS SINCE TIME BEGAN. He's also a hell of card guy, btw.

It's not just quantity either guys. David's magic is clever, at times difficult, whimsical and truly beautiful. Get this book now, right now!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 3rd, 2013, 10:44 pm

He's also a really nice guy. Extremely helpful, and always willing to graciously answer questions about his material.

Mark Tams

Postby Mark Tams » October 8th, 2013, 10:12 pm

I've broken the effects down that utilize gaffs and which gaffs they are. I was surprised by just how few gaffs are needed and/or gaffs that are simple to make or we as magicians already have.

Here is a list of gaffs needed that we already have or a bit of glue and you can make them at home:

- Double Coin Gimmick (simply glue 2 coins together, making a fan of coins)
- Triple Coin Gimmick (same as above with 3 coins)
- Stack of 3 Coins (simply glue 3 coins together forming a stack)
- Expanded Shell (almost everyone has one of these already)
- Chinatown Half (same as a Copper/Silver and almost everyone has one of these)

Here is a list of comprehensive gaffs utilized in some of the routines. The number in (parenthesis) shows how many routines are used with this gaff:

- UWC, known as the Ultimate Wild Coin (6)
- Flipper Coin (2)
- Triple Threat (3)
- Sun & Moon (1) (this can be one coin from the UWC set as well)

All in all, there are 70 routines in the book and 58 of the 70 do not require a comprehensive gaff or no gaff at all.

Mark Tams

Postby Mark Tams » November 2nd, 2013, 6:46 am

The David Neighbors Project, Volume One has been very well received to date. We are halfway through the pre-print publication release that ends November 30th, 2013. 30 days remain in the pre-print publication release, don’t miss out!

Read what people that have purchased Volume One have had to say . . .

I’ve been a great fan of David’s over the years and am delighted to see his work now been published in these five volumes.

I am NOT a coin guy in any way shape or form and I’m buying these books.

I'm a big fan of David's magic. I would like to be able to add some of his stuff to my repertoire.

This is the best magical news I've had in a very, very long time.

The single most prolific coin magician of all time! The greatest innovator of gaffs since time began!

It's not just quantity either guys. David's magic is clever, at times difficult, whimsical and truly beautiful. Get this book now, right now!

A quick look at that table of contents and other previews of the publication look impressive.

After all these years, the thousands of routines and moves Dave has pioneered it is gratifying to see this project.

I’m very excited about this project!!!

David is one of those rare souls who, when you see him perform, will win your heart and your mind will spin as he effortlessly dazzles and amazes you! Don’t miss this spectacular chance to own a legend in your library!

It’s about time we got this much new” Neighborly” material to marvel at. I penciled in my next 40 years free time as booked now. Thanks David this next divorce is on you man.

Probably the "Ed Marlo" of coin magic.

Wow!, what great news from Todd's blog about the Dave Neighbors series. This will be a tremendous addition to 'all things coin'.

I for one am thrilled that this material will finally get out to the “boys”.

David Neighbor's work has LONG been in need of proper documentation.

This effort, a compendium of his works is something David deserves to have happen. This is something every serious coin magician will be interested in.

At last, a very substantive coin magic book . . . not cards, COINS!!! Probably the biggest development to come down the pike for coin magic in a long, long time.

High time this was done for Dave, thanks! A lot of people here in LA who have seen Dave lecture over the years are looking forward to this!

Return to “Buzz”