Lost Houdini scrapbook discovered in CA

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Lost Houdini scrapbook discovered in CA

Postby JohnCox » July 15th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Today I'm thrilled to share news of a truly incredible find. A hitherto unknown Houdini scrapbook -- which has possibly gone unseen for 83 years -- was recently discovered by an antique dealer in Southern California. I have the full story and lots of pics on my blog.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/07 ... pbook.html
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

JohnCox

Re: Lost Houdini scrapbook discovered in CA

Postby JohnCox » July 23rd, 2013, 3:06 pm

Jeeze. What's a guy gotta find to get a single comment out of this board? Dai Vernon's jockstrap? :D

So you know, the owner (finder) is going to sell this, but he hasn't yet decided whether to do so in auction or privately. Until then, he's open to hearing from interested collectors. He's a good guy and really does want this to go to the right person and have it made available to magic historians.

I'm forward emails to him. Not brokering this or anything like that (and I don't know what price he has in mind), just helping as thanks for letting me break the news of this find.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 24th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Just a little update. This sold yesterday at Potter & Potter for $36,000. Second highest price item in the auction.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014/08 ... s-for.html

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » August 24th, 2014, 3:24 pm

JohnCox wrote:Jeeze. What's a guy gotta find to get a single comment out of this board? Dai Vernon's jockstrap? :D

How much did Dai Veron's jockstrap sell for?

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 24th, 2014, 5:19 pm

baabaablacksheep wrote:
JohnCox wrote:Jeeze. What's a guy gotta find to get a single comment out of this board? Dai Vernon's jockstrap? :D

How much did Dai Veron's jockstrap sell for?

That's what fetched the highest price. ;)

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 25th, 2014, 1:04 am

JohnCox wrote:What's a guy gotta find to get a single comment out of this board ...

I guess not everyone is as WILD ABOUT HARRY as you are John ;)

But being the Houdiniphile that you are, I was expecting some input from you in THIS THREAD, in which Ariann Black states that she has recently acquired 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage.

I repeat ... 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage !

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that prior to this, the total of all Houdini footage known, including his movies, would total 9 hours.

I think you should check into this and post something about it on your blog.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 25th, 2014, 1:28 am

Arian Black did not write that it was 9 hours of "never before seen Houdini footage." Black actually wrote:

The 9 hours of Houdini footage we recently acquired is falling apart and has to be restored from scratch.

I'm willing to bet that footage is comprised of his motion picture films and possibly news reels and the Australian flights. Who knows? The Grim Game might be in there.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 25th, 2014, 2:11 am

On her Kickstarter page Ariann Black states ... "Be Amazed has amassed one of the largest magic film, television and stage performance video libraries in the world, including never before seen footage of Houdini , Blackstone and others.

Why go to the expense of restoring Houdini footage that is already available?

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 25th, 2014, 2:35 am

Brad--the link you posted referred to another thread here on the Genii Forum, in which Black did not specifically state that there was 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage. You did not post the link to Black's Kickstarter page.

Brad Jeffers wrote:On her Kickstarter page Ariann Black states ... "Be Amazed has amassed one of the largest magic film, television and stage performance video libraries in the world, including never before seen footage of Houdini , Blackstone and others.

Why bother to restore Houdini footage that is already available?

The "never before seen footage" also includes Blackstone and others. We don't know the length of the unseen footage for each magician. It's all jumbled into one pie tin and so far, Black hasn't mentioned the size of each slice. If Black is discussing the preservation of analog film, then it would likely be worth it to her to restore ANY footage, whether it already exists archived in a climate control vault or not.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 25th, 2014, 4:29 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:Black did not specifically state that there was 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage

Yes, I know.

On her Kickstarter page she states that she has "never before seen" Houdini footage. On the forum post she states that she has recently acquired 9 hours of Houdini footage that is in dire need of restoration.

I was being a little facetious when I morphed the two statements into 9 hours of never before seen footage. I don't think that 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage exists.

And just what exactly, does "never before seen" footage mean anyway ? Never before seen by anyone - or just never before seen by me :)

If Black is discussing the preservation of analog film, then it would likely be worth it to her to restore ANY footage, whether it already exists archived in a climate control vault or not.

Is it worth it to her (or rather to you and me, as we are the ones being solicited for funding) to restore Houdini footage that already exists in this format ...

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » August 25th, 2014, 7:09 am

John Cox, I have been looking through your Houdini website and wanted to tell you that I am enjoying it very much. It is full of interesting articles and very professionally done. Great job. Thanks.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 25th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
JohnCox wrote:What's a guy gotta find to get a single comment out of this board ...

I guess not everyone is as WILD ABOUT HARRY as you are John ;)

But being the Houdiniphile that you are, I was expecting some input from you in THIS THREAD, in which Ariann Black states that she has recently acquired 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage.

I repeat ... 9 hours of never before seen Houdini footage !

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that prior to this, the total of all Houdini footage known, including his movies, would total 9 hours.

I think you should check into this and post something about it on your blog.

Holy cats! I didn't know anything about this. I afraid I don't watch these forums as closely as I should. Thanks for the tip, Brad!

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » August 25th, 2014, 3:55 pm

baabaablacksheep wrote:John Cox, I have been looking through your Houdini website and wanted to tell you that I am enjoying it very much. It is full of interesting articles and very professionally done. Great job. Thanks.

Thank you very much, baabaablacksheep. I appreciate your kind words. :)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 25th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Is it worth it to her (or rather to you and me, as we are the ones being solicited for funding) to restore Houdini footage that already exists in this format ...

You got that right...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2014, 10:21 pm

There may be some snippets of Houdini footage that are not "known," but that's all.

The only stuff I know for certain not on the Kino Video set are the Pathe Films, which should have been on the set, and the only known print of The Grim Game, which is being held hostage by Larry Weeks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 26th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There may be some snippets of Houdini footage that are not "known," but that's all.

The only stuff I know for certain not on the Kino Video set are the Pathe Films, which should have been on the set, and the only known print of The Grim Game, which is being held hostage by Larry Weeks.

Did the Kino set include the footage of him flying in Australia?

Return to “Buzz”