Magic Collectors Weekend 2014

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
magicam

Re: Magic Collectors Weekend 2014

Postby magicam » February 7th, 2014, 7:36 am

Bill McFadden wrote:… the profile I've maintained has been rather unobtrusive precisely because of my lack of standing. In fact, I'm often concerned that it's a rather diffident vibe emanating. Still, I describe myself as, to use Vernon's term, "a serious student of magic." If all of this points to a thin resume, or indicates I'm a dilettante, a punter then so be it. ...
We’re all dilettantes in magic to one degree or another. Nobody knows it all. I fear that you’ve read too much into my use of the term “meritocracy” -– hopefully you understand that my comments were aimed at helping you to get “in,” to the extent such a concept is relevant and may be important to you.

Bill McFadden wrote:... Now, take a brief look at things from my end: as indicated above, 2014 would be the first time I have been able to attend Collector's in a few years. I was eager to register for Cincinnati when the process became operable in October 2013 because (1) I get to go to Collector's again. (2) I can probably drive to Cincinnati, and 2014 may likely be the only chance I ever get to visit Salon de Magie. Then I get the rug pulled out from under me by Magicana's cancellation notices, and the switch to "invitation only." After that, I turned out the light on any hope of coming to Cincinnati. Begging to be placed on a stand-by list was not an option considered.

So when one is prohibited from attending an event in which one has deep interest, one immediately becomes disappointed. Bitterness then encroaches when one is left feeling "less than." One person's meritocracy is another's discrimination. ...
IMO, it would be most unfortunate to equate the lack of an invite with being “less than.” In any case, it appears from Richard Hughes’ post that you need only ask (not beg) in a timely manner in order to attend, so please do and enjoy the convention! For every clique, there’s almost invariably a smaller clique -- one could drive one’s self crazy by focusing on being excluded, discriminated against, etc.

Bill McFadden wrote:... I will retire from my regular job at the end of this year, and plan to expand my interests in magic - including research and writing. When this occurs, it will be for reasons of both making a "contribution" and personal fulfillment - not in order to make a name for myself so I can attempt to pass muster with the powers that be. But it's very helpful to learn how high the bar can get raised for one of us nobodies. ...
I don’t know any frequent or regular contributor to magic history who does so for status or to enhance the magic resume. Speaking as one who might be considered a “regular” contributor, the notion of contributing “to pass muster with the powers that be” strikes me as absolutely ludicrous, not to mention a very poor return of the investment of time spent researching and writing. Thus, I certainly agree with your opinion that the only good reason for contributing is because it brings pleasure and fun to a hobby.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 7th, 2014, 10:33 am

Bill Mullins wrote:Thus I encourage them to be bold.

I'd encourage them to ask directly and not to start the process in public by posting comments at the event (and its organizers) that might seem like complaints.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 25th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Gentlemen, my apologies for apparently having walked away from this useful discourse. One of the reasons for the delay was the need to organize my thoughts properly and avoid the "knee-jerk" reaction evidenced in my first post on the subject. Indeed, that reaction (not response) was an instant of emotion reflecting my objections to "invitation only" magic events, nothing more.

My big mistake was to post comment before investigating the facts. Had I taken the time to follow the story, the post would have been completely uncalled-for. Instead, once I received the notification from Magicana last November, the iron door in my brain slammed shut - no further motivation for an appeal to the conference planners for the Cincinnati Collectors.

In venting some steam, I stepped on some toes. The good news is that - as is often the case - having aired the issue and received feedback, I really don't care anymore whether a conference is limited to those invited. When something is discussed fully and openly as it has been here, the conflict can often be resolved or neutralized. There will be no further griping on the issue, I promise.

Also true is that I have a basic reticence when it comes to taking "bold" action. As a relative newcomer to magic, I just can't stand bugging anyone. Bill Mullins, when some day our paths cross once again, remind me to tell you my funny stories about two separate instances when I did inquire clearly and directly, only to be summarily dismissed. Can't tell them here because names have to be named.

In any event, I hope this post will help mitigate the impression that I'm a cranky old lunatic railing away at those who would gladly offer assistance and advice. Please know that my love for magic is as pervasive as my respect/admiration for all of you in its universe.

Return to “Buzz”