NEMCA President Ed Hill Has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

NEMCA President Ed Hill Has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2013, 5:42 pm

One of the nicest guys I've known, Ed Hill, died of a sudden heart attack yesterday. Ed was the ex-president of NEMCA, the New England Magic Collectors Association, which put on the Yankee Gathering every other year. He was also the founder and former co-editor of The Yankee Collector.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andrew Pinard

Re: NEMCA President Ed Hill Has Died

Postby Andrew Pinard » April 12th, 2013, 10:17 pm

It's hard to fully describe the impact Ed Hill has had on me. I first met him almost twenty years when were both competing in the New England Magic Competition. I still remember his gambling-themed performance. He dressed the part of the riverboat gambler and had a lovely, playful routine that was simply charming. His joy and love of magic were deeply evident.

Ed was one of the first to welcome me into the New England Magic Collectors Association and almost immediately we began working together (with Bob Schoof) on The Yankee Magic Collector. Ed and Bob had founded the project and served as co-editors beginning with Issue 1 in 1983. Even after retiring as co-editor in 2008, Ed was a valuable member of the team serving on the Editorial Review Board. He was always available to help out; often dropping whatever he was working on to do so. He was often the first person I would call when I was needed a fresh perspective or a new lead.

As a collector and historian, Ed was deeply involved with hundreds of projects over the years. Careful readers will find his name sprinkled in dozens of magic history books as he supported the work of other magic historians. He loved to help others improve their work and he did this through his generosity. If you had a question about a particular performer you'd call Ed. If you were looking for a connection, you'd call Ed. If you needed photographs for your book, you'd call Ed. He was a go-to guy and formed many, many deep friendships as a result. Ed and Pat Hill were fixtures in the local Rhode Island magic scene. Whenever there was a need, they were there and they made everything they were involved with better.

Due in part to his fascination with magic history and his deep respect for local performers (both past and present), Ed also kept his eye on the big picture. Where others often were content to just show up for meetings, Ed was instrumental in helping the various organizations work through the growing pains that come with time. He was instrumental in forming the Rhode Island Societies of Magicians ensuring the present and future successes of both SAM and IBM groups. When New Hampshire was struggling with the same issues, Ed provided suggestions and the organizational documents to help them. Over the last couple of years, Ed and I have been having discussions about how best to prepare NEMCA for a future that sees its founding members no longer involved. He had a balanced take on how the organization should proceed and was interested in providing perspective and feedback on how to protect and preserve the organization in a way that would respect its origins while ensuring its role as the first (and currently the only) member-based organization with an emphasis on magic history and preservation.

Ed's life was all about love. He had a seemingly endless supply and bestowed it on everyone he ever met. He loved to share his knowledge, he loved to help others, and he loved to be involved. Ed's love of magic, its practitioners and its relic was infectious.
He loved his family and they adored him. His entire family - Pat, Danielle and David - have all been tireless supporters of magic, whether it was providing registration, technical support, behind-scenes work or serving as warm hosts. To me, The Yankee Gathering always felt in part like a Hill family reunion.

I am truly blessed to have known him, thankful to have worked with him and humbled to have called him my friend.

My thoughts and love go out to Pat, Danielle and David as they go through this trying time. Thank you for sharing Ed with us.

-----------------

The following link has information about calling hours on Monday for those who are able to attend. A broken wand ceremony is expected to be conducted around 6pm.

http://andersonwinfield.net/obituaries.php

JimAlfredson

Re: NEMCA President Ed Hill Has Died

Postby JimAlfredson » April 13th, 2013, 12:14 pm

What a shock to read about Ed Hill. Certainly one of magic's nicest, most cooperative people. Had my usual grand time at the last NEMCA gathering, and a great deal of it was due to Ed and Pat, the ever-genial hosts. NEMCA certainly won't be the same without Ed, who left his indelible mark on the occasions. An avid collector and historian, Ed was known and respected amongst his collector colleagues, and one of the most helpful people in that field. Goodbye, my friend, I'll think of you often.
-Jim Alfredson

Return to “Buzz”