“Magic Outlaws”

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

“Magic Outlaws”

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 6th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Has anyone here mentioned this new show starring David Minkin, Chris Korn, and Ben Seidman premiering at 9 PM EST on The Travel Channel this coming Sunday? Set your DVRs!

John M. Dale

Re: “Magic Outlaws”

Postby John M. Dale » March 10th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Well, I'm 4 minutes into the first episode that I recorded and I'm already a bit disappointed. The coin vanish to spec's pocket with no contact with the spec ("Oh, when did he touch me?"), I can accept since misdirection doesn't fool the unblinking eye of the camera (and, of course, there's always pre-show work that I can also accept not seeing). But, coin to bottle from spec's hand to 8-ball from label production to 8-ball to bottle presented as an unbroken live sequence seems a bit to "I'm Criss Angel and I would never use stooges or editing to make my magic on TV" for my tastes.

Of course, I'm just an old two-bit amateur who's not part of the underground so maybe the true members the inner circle can actually perform this sequence live in a bar surrounded by real honest to god lay-specs without the benefit of a good editor. Or maybe I was just expecting too much.

Feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.

JMD

Ok, it's an hour later and I've finished both episodes and I've never seen such amazing impromptu live unedited performances. And I have to believe that Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp would be proud of their tradition being kept alive by these totally unrehearsed strangers watching the truly unbelievable (and I do mean unbelievable) magic.

I can only hope that my little group of semi-regular specs don't catch these shows. My mere tricks may not impress them anymore. Of course, these guys are professionals so I guess I can fall back on my amateur status as an excuse for my failings.

JMD

Gene B

Re: “Magic Outlaws”

Postby Gene B » March 12th, 2013, 9:00 pm

I agree---it was very apparent that the reactions at times looked pretty "staged"

I was expecting a lot more "real" performances.

Return to “Buzz”