EMC Day 2

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

EMC Day 2

Postby Magic Newswire » July 28th, 2012, 1:41 am

Just creating a starting point for the great play by play recaps of Mr. Goat! Thank you sir!

mrgoat

Re: EMC Day 2

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 9:18 am

:)

Really glad to hear you're enjoying my efforts!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 9:25 am

Hey, Damien: if you get a chance--any behind the scenes stories you can share would be welcome as well! Thanks for doing this!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 10:09 am

erdnasephile wrote:Hey, Damien: if you get a chance--any behind the scenes stories you can share would be welcome as well!

What happens at EMC stays at EMC.

;)

erdnasephile wrote:Thanks for doing this!

You're so welcome. I am glad you're enjoying it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 10:39 am

I hope my naming convention isn't confusing for anyone today!

Session 4:1

Hosted by Mike Caveny

Paul Daniels - Belief and misdirection. Paul starts off using the Toss Vanish as an example. What is beyond misdirection? Timing. A 1-2 action. Looking at the spot on the table where you are going to put a coin down, before you do it. Crediting Slydini for this sort of thinking.

He then goes on to expand on a question Bill Malone was asked about how one learns to be funny. He suggests studying as much as you can on comedy. Watching as many comedians as you can and trying to work out what they are doing.

4:2

Hiro Sakai

Performance and Explanation

Our Hiro (sorry) starts off with the four access going in the deck in a Travellers style insertion. The aces then appear face up together in the centre of the deck with a very cheeky little move. Next he teaches an effect where different sized Euro notes stretch to become the same length. Very clever. He proceeds to show a smart method of essentially a colour change.

4:3

Luis De Matos

He starts off showing 3 large angry birds plushies to randomly find 3 speccies. Very funny. They join him on stage and sit on 3 stools. And then swop seats. And swop seats some more. Instructed to reach under the stools, sure enough the pictures match the angry birds they hold. Each are then given a deck of cards, all different, all are requested to shuffle. Each told to take three or four or five cards from anywhere and thrown away, until they have one card left. He then shows us all a URL and invites us all to go there, there is a video there. Of course, the video has footage of him dealing out three cards, and they match the freely chosen cards. As a final kicker, he takes out his wallet, with a image of his lucky cards, and the pics of the three angry birds. He has named the birds. Names printed on the cards. They are David, William and Richard, matching - naturally, the magicians that ended up with each bird at the start of the effect.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 11:07 am

Slight pause as we rejig some stuff. Too many of you logging on!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 11:53 am

4:4
Eiberhard Riese and Topas

Building blocks of a stage act. Music, costume and so on. Importance of picking right costume for what you want to do. Rules of theatre. Who am I, where am I, what do I want to get, why do I want it? What props have no place in 2012? Feather flowers for exampleno one knows what they are meant to be. Throw away stuff like this forever. Going on to explain what all magic should be. Clear, simple, astonishing, easy to explain to someone else and contain an emotional attachment.

Introducing Topas to perform Professor's Nightmare. A classic effect and the different approaches. Someone in charge of the effect, someone surprised by the effect then third the cheesy "Stallion" presentational approach. Same trick, different characters change the effect unrecognisably.

Now, a thought about focus. If you have all the magic powers in the world, and produce a cane, and in a bit you do it again, it doesn't sit right with the audience. Magic needs focus or plot. There are only 20 plots that are successful in the world.

He ends with lots of video clips proving the validity of his all his points.

4:5

David Britland on Chan Canasta. Stacked deck, memory, improvisation Physcology, forcing, etc. Adding lots of tools to his arsenal allowed him to achieve miracles. He shares an archive clip of Canasta using the 8 kings stack. But with a Canasta twist.

He explains about audience management and psychological forces, false memories, and bold linguistic tricks. Similar to Dani Da Ortiz. What happens if he missed? He would move on. Adds to the possibility he is performing experiments, not tricks. He shows another rare video clip.

4:6

Steve Cohen performing his favourite Malini trick. Coin Under Hat. He then explains it. In detail. A wonderfully utility move, essentially. With some lovely cheeky audience management and interaction.

4:7

Tina Lennart talking about how she met Mr Mop Man. Inspired by Steve Jobs. She tells us how she came about coming up with the plot/character. Who am I, who do I want to be, how do I fit into this world. Boils down to a strong desire to express herself. Combining music, mine and magic. Interestingly, inspired by a stripper in a burlesque act and Rocky. The first thing she does is find the music. This inspires the movement. The importance of breath. How inhaling and exhaling communicates feelings and emotion.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 28th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Extraordinarily great session. The de Matos trick was a real head-scratcher. (He will explain tomorrow!)

Matt Field

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Quick note: Tina just gave the BEST, most inspiring magic lecture I've ever witnessed. Worth the price of admission and then some! GREAT session!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Matt: Are you serious about the explanation? (fingers crossed) The printed cards in the wallet are just killing me...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 12:19 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Matt: Are you serious about the explanation? (fingers crossed) The printed cards in the wallet are just killing me...

I just asked him and he is indeed going to tip it all tomorrow. I think I know how the video was done, but indeed, the printed cards...no idea!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 12:37 pm

If it's anything like his solution for the vanishing spectator's car illusion, the method is going to be as good as the trick!

Damien: what's the mood like on the set--sounds like they are all enjoying themselves, and I was impressed that everyone seemed really focused during Tina's lecture.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 12:50 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Damien: what's the mood like on the set--sounds like they are all enjoying themselves, and I was impressed that everyone seemed really focused during Tina's lecture.

It's electric. Amazing. Fun, excitement, everyone now is chatting in the green room, sharing stuff and even tolerating my presence - seemingly.

PS Ms Lennart was obviously moved by your comment when I showed her.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 2:01 pm

5:1

Hosted by Marco Tempest

David Williamson

A card trick. Spec gives him three cards. He gives her one back, he still has three. Several times. Much shouting.

He goes on to talk about his heroes in magic. Goshman. He loved close up magicians with a stage size persona. Slydini. Quacky The Clown. No, really. It's impossible to prcis this. Impossible. Let's just say he was happy to find out he wasn't touched inappropriately in Quacky's trailers.

5:2
Graham Jolley

Explaining Koran's newspaper effect "countdown" which he performed yesterday. Go look it up in a book. One lovely bit though was Koran getting Ed Sullivan to write a number between 1-16. He needs to see this to do the trick. Sullivan turns his back on Al to hide as he writes. In order to get the number, he simply took the envelope from Sullivan saying "I will initial it too, so you can't cheat!"

5:3

Gaetan Bloom on the history of the intercessor. The evolution of the idea, the gimmick, the years it took to develop. A fascinating insight into the creative and lucky processes used.

5:4

Norberto Jansenson shows us his favourite effect. Jumbo deck, shuffled. He does 'weighing' of the cards. Twice. Spec that thinks of a card, he cuts to it. He then deals out the whole shuffled jumbo deck, calling each card before it is turned over.

5:5

Guy Hollingworth

Performance and explanation. Aces put into deck in different parts, deck places in jacket pocket. He says he will find them. Not by putting his hand in and taking them out. But by opening his jacket to show the lining, and pulling the cards magically one at a time through the lining. Then pulling the whole deck through. Delicious. He explains the principle and shows several tricks you can do with it. Including a card to wallet. And a Travellers effect. Nice.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm

5:6

Max Maven

Doing a card trickelevating a trick to a piece of magic. Deck is cut, half placed on table. Spec shuffles remaining cards, cuts, does what he wants until he has a card on the face of his packet is the one he is going to remember. The cards are placed onto the remaining half on the table. Max names the card. A trick, not a miracle, no panache. card is placed onto spec's hand. To elevate it into magic, the card changes into a blank card, and the selected card has vanished from the deck. And all is given to spec to keep as a reminder of panache.

5:7

Panel Discussion - Improvisation.

5:8

Daniel Madison - Performance

David Blaine names the 4 of spades. Steve Cohen comes up with his deck and takes them out and shuffles them. Is told to spread them face down. One blue back card in the red deck. It is - of course - the four of spades. He will explain it at the start of session 6.

5:9

Q&A

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 2:59 pm

One common thread coming through the talks is the patience of the artist.

That is, it seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry these days varies a few half-baked ideas and run out to make a DVD or self-publish a booklet so they can be a "name".

In stark contrast: Lenert, Bloom, Hollingworth, et al, mull over their ideas for literally YEARS--refining, testing, perfecting. They never seem to stop thinking. Then, they share (or not). Even after the ideas hit print, the evolution continues (See: Hollingworth's new Cassandra method).

Take away lesson for me: Patience and never stop thinking = one of the qualities of a true artist.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Max Maven hosting this session.

6:1

Daniel Madison - explanation

I'm not going to explain it. It's bloody excellent though

6:2

Cyril Takayama

Live interview with Max Maven by Skype.

Max talked about his new TV series, where he (via lots and lots of make up) plays members of his own family going on holiday. His fat cousin, his lecherous Uncle, and even his Aunt. Got to see a little clip of it. Show has been sold to 22 countries and working on others. Big hit in India. Hawaii sun and extensive prothestic make up means he had to sweat profusely, 4 hours of make up, extremely uncomfortable, but amazing results. We were then treated to a previously unseen clip of him, well, making fire come out of his empty hand with sleeve rolled up! Crazy.

6:3

Bill Malone Performance

So many gags, everyone is genuinely LOLing. Quick look at cards from mouth and why he does it and when he does it. Short bit, but lovely.

6:4

Norberto Jansenson

Reads in an ancient language. Makes everyone close their eyes and tells a story. Talking about the importance of the magical moment. The coin is in the hand. Tap. The coin goes. You need to think about the importance of the actual second it vanishes and focus on that. He talks about the importance of secrets. Beautiful stories, delivered with passion.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 6:20 pm

6:5

Luis de Matos

Tipping the Angry Birds trick. Not going to explain it.

6:6

Eric Mead

Performance

Tim Conover version of Ramsey's Cylinder and Coins. I love the original, never seen this version. Blown away.

6:7

Bill Kalush

The history of card magic

One way decks 1400, card on ceiling, double lift, 1670, chapter on cheating at cards, he alludes to the shift in 1550, talks about the shift 1674, the shift is described 1728.
1528 had a book that was effectively the 21 card trick, with pictures of saints. 1610 has a psychological force with an out! Rising cards in 1558. SO much more.

Things we think are new, aren't. He carries on explaining all manner of moves, concepts and sleights we all use now and explains where they come from. Standing on the shoulder of giants.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2012, 6:29 pm

And we wrap up with a final Q&A.

See you tomorrow.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » July 28th, 2012, 6:51 pm

This report shouldn't be needed as this EMC should be subscribed to by anyone who considers that they have even the slightest interest in magic.

It is the most informative three days of magical discussion, chat, quality magic and explanations available anywhere, ever.

Never has a group of magicians with the collective knowledge, wisdom, skills or experience gathered together under one roof with the generous intention of passing their collective genius on to their fellow magicians around the world.

If this is the final EMC, and how I hope that it isn't, magicians will ask in the future................."were you there" and if you answer in the negative don't be surprised if they look at you with contempt as they say............ "Why not".

Cheers from the Emerald Isle,
John Bowden

Timothy Hyde

Postby Timothy Hyde » July 28th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Really enjoying these.

Unfortunately Session 4 part 2 is proving to be a problem viewing experience for a lot of people.

Sessions up to that point went fine.
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Some Personal Highlights from EMC Day 2:

There's so many, but it's late, so I'll limit myself to 10:

10. Steve Cohen, Guy Hollingworth, and Eric Mead: Steve and Guy generously shared 2 utility techniques from their own acts that are going to be put to use immediately to solve two problems in mine. Eric magically treated me to something I'd thought I'd never see: Tim Conover's Cylinder and Coins routine--it rendered me speechless. Thanks, guys--you're brilliant!

9. Bill Kalush: When you find out that the roots of "Unshuffled" go back to the 16th century, squabbles over "I invented this" or "I invented that" seem a little void of context. (Like that disrespectful poster who kept trying to embarass a presenter some goofy claim that he invented the technique the presenter was lecturing on). Great, scholarly work in an all too short talk. More please!

8. Luis de Matos: Like Berglas, NOTHING is too much trouble! Simply stunning.

7. Graham Jolley: spilling the beans over some small (but really, really important) touches on Countdown that didn't make it into print. Was scribbling into my copy as he spoke. Also, his handling of the crib shows the difference between magician thinking and how laypersons think--excellent lessons here.

6. Max Maven's admonition to the lazy to look up the definition of "panache" themselves, since they apparently couldn't be bothered to pay attention during his set. You tell 'em, Max!

5. Bill Malone: He got right up there and said: "I've been doing magic for 32 years, and I've learned so much." That really made an impression on me: if a master performer like him is learning stuff here, how much more should I be learning?

4. David Williamson: The Quacky the Duck saga left me in stitches, but there was a very poignant message there if folks were listening. It also factored very much in who he is as a performer. "There could be worse things..."

3. Gaeton Bloom: If you couldn't tell, I LOVE these sessions where creators share how they create their masterpieces. Here, he showed the development, hard work, and lightbulb moments that resulted in his baby, the Intercessor. It's true what they say 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. He also gave one killer unpublished application that I ain't gonna tip because I'm going to fry you with it if we run into each other.

2. Eberhard Riese: Herr Riese went through his systematic way he helped some of his award winning students develop their acts (Franklin, Topas, etc.). His exploration of stagecraft for magicians was a systematic, practical introduction to a very meaty subject. I know this stuff is old hat to those of you with acting training, but for this close-up kinda guy, it was a revelation how much of it I can apply right now. Liked it so much, I ordered his book right after the talk.

1. Tina Lenert: As I wrote above: her talk on the development of her famous "Mop Man" act was the BEST, most inspiring magic lecture I've ever attended. It's just amazing the level of thought, the attention to detail, the blood, the sweat, and the tears she has put into birthing such a classic. She even went through the specific beats of how she intentionally inhales and exhales during particular points in the act. How many of us can say we've through through our own performances like that? And that's only, but one example of her commitment to the art by someone who didn't even consider herself a magician. She closed with a moving quote from Maya Angelou that should be engraved on every performing artist's heart, as deeply as it so obviously is on hers. Do yourself a favor and see this lady give this talk at your earliest opportunity and/or order her "Connecting the Dots" lecture notes. Just can't say enough good things about this experience: Bravo, Tina, BRAVO!

On the (slight) downside: technical problems persist, but with nearly 2,000 attendees, it's amazing they aren't worse.

On a more mixed note: I really like the chat function: it's neat to see the immediate enthusiastic reaction by the crowd to what's going on. However, due to video lags, sometimes you end up reading comments about what's going to happen in 90 seconds, which sometimes spoils the fun. In addition, the chat function does encourage a lot of kibitzing, which is also fun. However, it is distracting to see people commenting on everything but the act that is currently going on. It makes me wonder if some are just missing out on the gold that's being passed along in the interest of lame jokes and less-than-respectful comments. Hint: when the camera cuts away and you see the pros there paying rapt attention, maybe we should too. I'm not perfect at this either, but maybe we could limit comments to what's actually going on (although with the lag that may be hard.)

Finally, I just feel priveleged to be a part of this. A few years ago, all of this wisdom would have been wasted on me. However, as I've matured as a person and as a performer, I've become more obsessed with looking for ways to improve what I already do rather than chasing the next big thing. To me, that's what EMC provides: a room full of experts talking about what experts talk about amongst themselves. I'm just giddy to be a fly on the wall and absorbing lessons that I can use in my quest to be better.

Thanks for your patience with this long post (and thanks to Damien for describing everything--and for passing along my earlier comments to Tina :) )

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Couldn't resist adding a PS: The great respect the pros are showing each other as audience members, as on-stage volunteers, and as supportive colleagues really sets the standard for how magicians should behave when attending a session by one of their own. The laughs and reactions are genuine, as is the obvious sense of comradery. I've never seen it to this extent at any other convention. Kudos to all!

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 29th, 2012, 12:40 am

And.. .on another side note.. I almost pee'd my pants watching Topas do the Professor's Nightmare in his "Killer" persona. Is he possibly as funny as Bill Malone but somehow hiding it?

enargos

Postby enargos » July 29th, 2012, 6:43 pm

MrGoat
Dont forget about the final MAx Maven comment about Tommy Wonder and the joke Maven commented whe Bill Malone revealed he wanted to be lawyer before magic found him

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm

enargos wrote:MrGoat
Dont forget about the final MAx Maven comment about Tommy Wonder and the joke Maven commented whe Bill Malone revealed he wanted to be lawyer before magic found him

Sadly there is probably lots I missed out. It was hard to monitor the live chat, tweet and quasi-live blog at the same time, especially as in the green room it was very hard to actaually hear the audio!

I did my best!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2012, 10:50 pm

And a fine job, too.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”