Why haven't you...?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Why haven't you...?

Postby Magic Newswire » July 24th, 2012, 9:55 pm

I know that everyone is saving up for the Genii 75th Birthday Bash, but if you haven't already registered for The Essential Magic Conference... Why not?

I am looking fo the most interesting and creative answer and will be giving away a free EMC registration to the one that I like the best.

I'm also monitoring with Twitter and Facebook followers who are promoting the event using this link: http://bit.ly/EMC012

Register now if you haven't already done so or take your chance on winning a free pass!

Good luck and enjoy what I am sure will be another great conference!

NOTE: This is not a sponsored announcement. I have been helping to promote this event since the first year because I think that it is one of the most interesting ideas in magic right now. Have fun!

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Re: Why haven't you...?

Postby MaxNY » July 24th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Funny...but I have been waiting to WIN a free registration through MagicNewswire!

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » July 24th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Even though he is right down the street.......I can't right now...David Copperfield is being transmitted LIVE VIA SATELLITE to a few hundred magic enthusiasts....

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » July 24th, 2012, 10:10 pm

...only if you cover "temporal illusions".

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » July 24th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Dodd, I sent you a PM as I was not sure how you wanted these entries.
Thanks, Joe

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 24th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Hey Joe

Didn't get your PM but post it here anyway! Good luck!

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » July 24th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Dodd, to answer your question the reason that I have not signed up is that I'm not really sure how much I could get out of a conference like this.

Now I must admit that I am not a performer and that magic has been a lifelong hobby. That said I also must admit that since I live in the San Diego area I was lucky enough to attend Magic-Con and that I have had a wonderful time and have tried in my small way to spread the word about what a great experience that has been. That conference has spoiled me very much considering how strong the line up has been.

The other thing that has kept me away is the format, since I work and can't see the conference live and I'm not sure how much the DVD's would really relate to sharing the experience of the conference.

My life took an unexpected turn about three weeks ago and my job was eliminated so unfortunately for my bank account and peace of mind I have plenty of time on my hands in between looking for a new job. So the thought did enter my mind, but was quickly replaced with reality. The last time I was out of work three years ago my wife sent me to the first Magic-con to help me get my mind off of our struggle to find a job if only for a couple of days, she is a great lady and somehow continues to understand my passion for magic. This certainly would be a much needed diversion.

I have loved magic since I was a kid and in looking at this lineup I think I could say it would be close to what I have experienced at Magic-con which would make this something special. If I have the same experience at EMC that I have had with Magic-Con I can promise that I will be an advocate for this event the next time around.

Thanks for your consideration and keep up the great work on the Magic Newswire, I listened to the Berglas interview yesterday while packing up my library in anticipation of moving to wherever my new job takes me. Thanks for keeping me company.

Peace, Joe

Danylo Loutchko

Postby Danylo Loutchko » July 25th, 2012, 11:08 am

You see, I have been in Brazil for the last year trekking through an extensive jungle and paddling the Amazon to find a mythical card cheat named Dean Knell Yen who could deal cards from the middle of the deck. I was following a lead given to me by Michael Weber.

About six months into it, I recalled that Vernon had already found the guy who did the Center Deal and the name given to me was only a thinly disguised anagram of Allen Kennedy.

I have recently come home since it took me a good six months to get out of the jungle (I couldn't afford a guide)and now I'm sitting at home extremely annoyed with only Magic Newswire podcasts to soothe me.

A free pass to EMC would really cheer me up right now...

All the best,

Danylo

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 25th, 2012, 11:25 am

Danylo wrote:You see, I have been in Brazil for the last year trekking through an extensive jungle and paddling the Amazon to find a mythical card cheat named Dean Knell Yen who could deal cards from the middle of the deck. I was following a lead given to me by Michael Weber.

About six months into it, I recalled that Vernon had already found the guy who did the Center Deal and the name given to me was only a thinly disguised anagram of Allen Kennedy.

I have recently come home since it took me a good six months to get out of the jungle (I couldn't afford a guide)and now I'm sitting at home extremely annoyed with only Magic Newswire podcasts to soothe me.

A free pass to EMC would really cheer me up right now...

All the best,

Danylo

Fantastic first post.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » July 25th, 2012, 11:51 am

Dodd,

Time is my main reason. While I'd love to participate in the live event, my schedule just doesn't permit it. So ironically, the availability of the DVDs is what makes the EMC "more skippable" for me since I can generally recapture most of what I missed by going over them. In contrast, every Magic*Con, IBM Convention, SAM, etc. have multiple things going on (scheduled and unscheduled) and there are always those "You had to be there!" moments that just can't be duplicated and don't manage to get recorded (intentionally or on someone's whim.) And camaraderie/shared experiences don't seem to come across the Internet quite as well as being there live IMHO. On flip side, if there was a way for me to fly over there and attend live, I might have considered it.

Mr. Kaufman is setting the magic convention bar very high with the Genii Birthday Bash and I expect that there will be a lot of "You had to be there!" moments. Fortunately the schedule is such that it will maximize the attendees chances of that happening. Unfortunately I think if you miss one of those moments/sessions, it's going to be gone for good.

But since again I can catch up via on-demand streaming or the DVDs later, the EMC just doesn't have the same sense of urgency for me that something like the 75th Genii Birthday Bash does

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 25th, 2012, 12:30 pm

I totally agree that the Genii Birthday Bash looks outstanding and that everyone that doesn't attend will hear stories that make them wish that they had been there. That was why I included a mention to it in the post.

I am a huge supporter of EMC simply because of the differences between it and a face to face convention. THe value of EMC when you add in the DVD's and the ability to watch the videoas after the session if you miss them live is also a plus to me.

Obviously, there is no concern about EMC being a success with regard to lack of attendance, especially given that it appears that this will be the last of the series, I was simply curious as to who was attending and why... And conversely, who wasn't and why not.

Kind of a personal survey.

Keep them coming!

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 26th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Three winners have been chosen. Two from here. Check your PM's and email me the requested info so that I can send along your free access to this Year's Essential Magic Conference!

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 26th, 2012, 4:35 pm

We are only hours away guys.. Send me your info asap!

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 26th, 2012, 10:57 pm

The winners have been selected and announced: http://bit.ly/P4Qen2

Congratulations and enjoy the EMC!

Return to “Buzz”