FISM 2012 - Day Five

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

FISM 2012 - Day Five

Postby CraigMitchell » July 13th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Day 5 Fri 13th July

With no early morning close-up scheduled, some much needed sleep was in order before the final acts of the stage contest.

And we definitely saved some of the best for last.

1.Tae Won Kim Ted Kim General Magic Korea
An ingenious idea in which the entire act is projected onto the performer and surrounding stage set. This is the closest thing to seeing a movie come to life ... complete with magic in-jokes parodying the manipulators ... as well as a brilliant Nintendo Marios Bros skit.

2. Javier E. Garcia Castagino Cavaliere Comedy Magic Argentina
Sporting a tuxedo ( strike one ) - out came the cardboard glitter bammo box ( strike two ), lota can ( strike three ) ... and in case there was any doubt - misers dream ... which gave me a fresh perspective as to what magic looks like in a senior citizens variety show.

3. Olwethy Dyantyi General Magic South Africa
Fusing dance with magic, Olwethu featured umbrellas, flying ( and sometimes not so flying ) silks and jumbo card manipulation. A youthful energy that the audience seemed to enjoy.

4. Park Eun Kyoung General Magic Korea
A good start with cards to roses and colour changing flowers but when the zombie diamond came out, the elegance ended.

5. Carles Moreno Lopez Charlie Magic General Magic Spain
The act starts with a photo slideshow which was oddly reminiscent of a Michael Jackson Heal the World motif ... my interest was piqued. Wearing the strangest outfit with a delineated codpiece, we have appearing bird cages, birds that lay eggs and bird cages that turn to goldfish bowls.

6. Nestor Hato Manipulation France
A high energy act with billiard balls, glitter confetti to cards and color changing hair and shirt.

7. Xin Ya Fei General Magic China
An exotic stage set from with Pagoda arches and images of Chinese beauty. Appearing fans. Enlarging fans. Diminishing fans. Giant peacock fans. Fans, fans and more fans completely filling the stage.

8. Andres Oyarzabal Latko General Magic Argentina
An odd-ball act about a burglar in a museum ... coin productions, the most horrible floating of a crown featuring completely visible thread ( when will magicians learn invisible thread in contests is a bad idea ) and very slow quick change. Jay Temaat performs a similar themed act ...but with far more aplomb.

9. Liu Bei General Magic China
A big slatted screen forms the backdrop for card manipulation, jumbo cards and expert card throwing that would put Jeff McBride to shame. An LED lillypad is a first!

10. Brynolf & Ljung General Magic Sweden
Repeating their previous slow mo winning FISM act something technically went amiss as the performance ended quite abruptly ... a new touch though was the floating coffee cup which looked spectacular until the lighting cue changed and the dangling thread was exposed ;-(

11. Alana Moelmann Alana General Magic Germany
An appearing third hand along with a self closing jacket was a novel touch but the continued repetition unfortunately ruined the impact.

12. Les Chapaux Blancs General Magic France
A black art performance that was tres magnifique ... wow! Pure visual magic at its best. Youtube it now.

13. Mantas Manipulation Latvia
A vampire hairdresser with scissors and scalpel manipulation with hair curlers and an appearing dove cage from behind a table. Do magicians have periods of momentary blindness when they attempt such steals ... I can imagine the thought process: if I close my eyes and wish really hard, I know they audience wont see me taking this large object from behind the table.

14.Paulo Maderal Manipulation Argentina
Even the acts are starting to aim for me as I was attacked by a flying card. Mandatory lamppost, misers dream, billiard ball manipulation, vanishing candles and jumbo card to concertina.

15. Leonardo Nifosi Leo Nifosi General Magic Italy
Max Maven in his younger days presenting Feather magic ... note to performer: we can see the hidden feather behind your back. And ending off with a warm and fuzzy snowstorm ... with pink feathers.

16. Dion van Rijt Dion Manipulation Netherlands
Set in a cafe the lead discovers his partner has left him. Theatrical in construct, the act unfortunately didnt live up to its hype ...

17. Marko Karvo General Magic Finland
The closest thing to Channing Pollock in magic today. Slick, suave, and extremely talented. But also exceptionally dated with tuxedo and tails, torn & restored newspaper and snap silks. His bird handling is incredible and received an amazing response from the crowds.

18. Yu Ho Jin
What can be said that hasn't already ... this is the new face of Korean magic. Sublime skill, unbelievable handling and visual impossibilities that appear as if you watching a movie. I have never seen an audience erupt as one ... the ovation was deafening, and Yu Ho Jin was quite literally moved to tears ( as were many in the audience ) What a speccial moment - the very epitome of the joy of FISM.

19. Jason Ladin General Magic Colombia
I pity anyone that has to follow Yu Ho Jin ... especially when you are featuring vanishing cane, linking rings and multi-coloured cards. Ouch.

20. Keelan & Charlotte General Magic England
Representing Team Britain the act comes across as the poor second cousin of Sos & Victoria featuring the now ever-present mylar confetti ending. Originality please.

Twenty acts ... a multitude of magic. Its all up to the judges now - who will the winners be?

Friday Stage Gala Show

Friday 13th at a magic convention what could possibly go wrong.

Blackpool hosting the final ( or so we thought ) Stage Gala Show and reaching a brand new low for FISM ... thats a pretty impressive feat.

Lets give you the full run-down on this mediocre show with some moments of pure horror.

The show starts with the announcement of the winner of the 6500 GBP diamond ... a contest kept pretty much hidden during the gala banquet dinner. With a 5 minute speech about just how valuable this particular jewel is along with its very special certificate of valuation ... it is duly presented ... in a brown paper bag. Very classy.

Han Seol Hui from South Korea followed with his well known and high energy CD manipulation act including a nice little nod of appreciation to Topas & Soma. Great start so far, but not to last.

Unfortunately we are re-joined by the puerile humour of Clive Webb & Danny Adams as comperes. Yes the same artists from Mondays show. And Wednesdays show. Appearing again on Fridays show. And what do we have in store a yellow & pink pants Danny Adams lifting up the skirt of a bagpipe player. Why ?

Richard McDougall arrived complete with his goose but unfortunately he stood no chance with an international audience so reliant on the English language to understand the gags.

Danny Adams as Elvis then introduced the unbelievable quick change artists - Sos & Victoria. A shining light amidst the darkness. But my little moment of joy was soon shattered by the sound of screeching microphone feedback in a ridiculous gag by the tap-dancing Mr Blub. Yes Mr Blub and his Bubbles from Wednesdays show is doing double-duty as Mr Blub the Dancer. Who knew ! 15 minutes of my life was torn away with this excruciating attempt at entertainment. If I wanted to watch a purple wearing clown pretending to be Michael Flatley - I would go see Lord of the Dance.

Mrs Blubs torture finally gave way to Tony Chapek and his now classical TV act. Whilst still well presented the live interaction concept has been taken to a whole new level as todays contest demonstrated and Tonys act is dating fast.

Ventriloquist Paul Zerdin was on hand to close the first half with his very funny routine featuring automated vent masks and two very obliging volunteers complete with ballroom dancing.

Twenty minutes of interval later - Rafael presented a new work-in-progress in an interesting set of a hairdresser getting up for work. There are some nice moments of creativity but as with any developing piece it is still being worked on.

Danny Adams returned with some cheap sexual innuendo and juggling nothing quite like man-handling a female spectator on the floor.

Our time-trip though wasnt quite complete without a detour to Italy and Paolo Giua. Wearing tuxedo and tails you could close your eyes and return to the 1970s ... a homemade prop stand with a picture of an Oscar statue ( or is that a Merlin ) that looks like its covered in tin foil. Multiplying cigarette boxes, streamers, card fountain and some very in vogue cigarette manipulation.

Our ever-present hosts unfortunately havent yet left the building and now arrive as Elvis in a Fat Suit and promptly fall off the stage in Derek Levers lap. Karma ?

Mr Blub the Bubble-maker, Dancer and now Juggler returns for an actual piece of performance with on-stage partner, Sabrina. Why not just get them to perform this single act that was actually worth watching ? I shouldnt ask such questions. Although would like to suggest that Mr Blub doesnt add stage hand to his list of credits ... as having the performer strike his own two side lamps during the middle of the next performers set is just a little tacky.
Tacky ? At Blackpool ?

Taste has no bounds for what was about to follow.

An international audience. 3000 people from around the world. A family audience. FISM 2012.

And out arrives a man in drag - in a fat suit - with drooping breasts - and pubic hair.

There we have the enduring image of FISM 2012 as presented by Blackpool. I hope they were proud ... because I was ashamed to be sitting in that room. More damage was done to FISM in that moment than anything ever before.

With the audience in shock one final act remained. Greg Frewin as the closing finale. The image of master magician and magic legend ... destroyed in an instant for the audience assembled tonight. Gregs apparent poor treatment of his borrowed doves resulted in the audience instantly turning on him voicing their displeasure with loud booing of his performance. Greg Frewin booed at FISM. Who would have ever imagined. His standard performance of stock illusions followed Origami, Appearing Bowling Ball ( you could hear the collective sigh of the audience as the pad appeared ) and Fire Spike Illusion ... ending with Shrouded Transition. The performance was dated, the audience was hostile and the whole gala show experience awful.

The performers themselves must have sensed the anger at this unfortunate mess of a show as no curtain call followed. The lights went up and Clive Webb & Danny Adams tell us Goodbye and god bless.

We are all going to need more than forgiveness for what we were forced to witness.

IrishMagicNews

Re: FISM 2012 - Day Five

Postby IrishMagicNews » July 13th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I caught Yu's act last February in Blackpool. Having wowed everyone on the Friday show Derek had the wisdom to put him back on on the Saturday show. The ovation he got was astounding. After taking multiple bows the ovation was still ongoing. A tear ran down his cheek, I presume overwhelmed by the response of his peers. That sent me off. And there I stood, a grown man, on my feet applauding, and crying like a baby.

Not often you can say that about a magic act. In fact probably never.

He is simply sublime.
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Rolf Reiner

Postby Rolf Reiner » July 13th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Yu Ho Jin and Yann Frisch seem to be the favorites for the Grand Prix. Yu has a stage persona that I have not seen in a Grand Prix winner since Lance Burton in 82.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 13th, 2012, 5:46 pm

The enduring image of FISM blackpool:

A man in drag in a fat suit with drooping breasts and pubic hair.

On the international stage gala show.

If ever you want proof that this is a classless disaster - there you have it.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » July 13th, 2012, 6:23 pm

They booked Matt Lucas from 'Little Britain' ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhU6YbyPHw

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 13th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Lots of mixed comments about the International Gala tonight on Day 5.

The show was in excess of 3 hours. It was very hot in the theater.

There was only one magic act in the first half.

The guy from Cuba listed on the program wasn't on the show.

Mr. Blub, he of the bubble act on a previous show, did TWO more acts this evening. A silly tap dancing thing that had no business being on the show, but then he and his female partner did an incredible juggling act that was one of the highlights of the evening.

The man dressed as a naked woman with huge sagging breast and an enormous black patch of pubic hair was just revolting. Did someone think this was a stag party?

Rafael did parts of an experimental playlet he's working on that involve elaborate sets and it was fascinating to see some very good ideas at work.

Greg Frewin closed, and of course he had to use someone local's doves, and the first dove flew away and was never seen again--a shame. I don't know why airport security things doves are connected to terrorism and have made it so difficult for dove acts to bring their own birds.

So, that brings to an end all the booked acts. So far, of the booked acts, the highlight for me was Tina Lenert doing the Mop Man act. She got a standing O and well deserved. Nice to see it again after so long.

Tomorrow brings all the high-point scoring candidates that the judges have weeded out. From the cheering inside the theater this afternoon, I think tomorrow's Grand Prix finals will be the finest show of the convention.

And we'll also find out whether FISM 2015 goes to Italy or Korea. A friend of mine has been canvassing the delegates and seems to think Korea has a good chance.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » July 13th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:the highlight for me was Tina Lenert doing the Mop Man act. She got a standing O and well deserved. Nice to see it again after so long.

Great!!!!!! I watched her on a DW-Transtel TV show I think was "varietes magic". Sure is a great experience to watch the live act.
Andres Reynoso

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » July 13th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Richard thanks for the update and i am glad to see that this forum has been the place to come to for the latest news!
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » July 13th, 2012, 10:13 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:And out arrives a man in drag - in a fat suit - with drooping breasts - and pubic hair.

There we have the enduring image of FISM 2012 as presented by Blackpool. I hope they were proud ... because I was ashamed to be sitting in that room. More damage was done to FISM in that moment than anything ever before.

Wow and someone once said my act wouldn't work at FISM ha ha.
Bizzaro.
www.smappdooda.com
www.bizzarobydesign.com

RobertAllen

Postby RobertAllen » July 14th, 2012, 1:22 am

What, no J.C. Penn-ay jokes at the gala?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2012, 5:18 am

Max tells me that the problem of travelling with doves is due to bird flu, not terrorism. But that wouldn't account for why people are given such a hassle when traveling within the USA, would it?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mehtas

Postby mehtas » July 14th, 2012, 5:32 am

CraigMitchell wrote:
The performers themselves must have sensed the anger at this unfortunate mess of a show

Maybe they must be fearing the George King moment returning ??

One of the WORST moments in gala shows i've ever been to.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 14th, 2012, 2:21 pm

After the hilarity of the spelling of Blackpoo Magic on the registration forms in Beijing 2009 - I really would have thought that someone would have invested in a spellcheck.

This is from the official program of FISM Blackpool.

Hal Meyers

Postby Hal Meyers » July 14th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Richard,

The Bird Flu is the excuse, even in the USA. I am sure you are aware, but in case you don't know - "dove breeders" ship overnight or priority through the US Mail in special (bird shipping) containers - birds arrive safely in perfect condition.

And, again, thank you for the FISM comments/insight -

Hal
Hal Meyers

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 19th, 2012, 4:40 am

Friday stage contest acts added ( sorry for the delay ;-)

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... ber=270088

Return to “Buzz”