Marcelo Contento passes

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Oliver

Marcelo Contento passes

Postby David Oliver » July 5th, 2012, 12:08 am

Saddened to report the passing of yet another dear, and multi-talented friend, Marcelo Contento, on the morning of Tuesday, July 3rd.

Marcelo was a world-renown percussionist, master magician and legendary hand-shadow artist. His artistry was second to none. He was one of the original performers in our Mystery Lounge Show in Boston. He traveled the world with his hand-shadow act, amazing audiences of all ages in virtually any venue. He, along with his brother Victor, manufactured props and equipment for magicians that were considered to be the best of the best. Most notably, his motorized Card Fountain. Marcelo was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer in 2000, and was given only a few months to survive. He lasted almost 13 years, and was able to watch his son, Luciano, grow up. In the last several years, his memory and ability to communicate were severely diminished. He was a friend, and I will miss him. May he finally rest in the peace he deserved. My thoughts are with his wife, son and brother at this time. Rest well, my friend.

There will be a wake this Saturday at the Marist Hill Institution in Waltham, MA.
E-mail his brother Victor, at victorcontento@comcast.net for the details.

Marcelo Alejandro Rodolfo Contento, 1/19/1955 - 7/3/2012. Farewell.
- DO

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Re: Marcelo Contento passes

Postby magicking » July 5th, 2012, 12:36 am

My condolences and prayer to all his family and friends...He will be missed by all in the magic community..
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 5th, 2012, 6:53 am

[font:Verdana]
This news saddens me so much. Marcelo was a terrific magician, shadow artist, musician, wonderful human being and a friend. After hearing this news I had an overwhelming rush of wonderful memories of working with Marcelo at magic conventions and magic get-togethers both in the USA and in South America. He had been very ill for a long time and is finally out of his pain and suffering.

I am sure Marcelo is now reunited with his mentor David Bamberg and talking about magic and hand shadows. Rest in Peace Marcelo.[/font]

Eric DeCamps

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 5th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Marcelo was so enthusiastic. I helped him with some ideas for his "Crazy Dominoes" -- those were beautifully made. He was a lot of fun to be with.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » July 5th, 2012, 2:19 pm

A great artist, friend and the best person one could ever meet. Wonderful memories.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 5th, 2012, 2:57 pm

That's too bad. Marcelo was a lovely guy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » July 5th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Marcello was always such fun to be around with. I remember the last convention we were together at was SAM in New Orleans. It was a special time.

I was honored that he always loved the photo I took of his shadow act in which he made the "moose". He used it for many promo pieces.

After the shop was closed, Victor and Marcello continued to help with electronic needs. Both are such wonderful people.

My sympathies to his family and Victor. It has been a long battle for him but he is now at peace.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

F.Amílcar
Favorite Magician: J. N. Hofzinser

Postby F.Amílcar » July 6th, 2012, 6:33 am

Dear friends,

Our condolences to his family and close friends over the world from Spain.

SECRETARY OF NATIONAL COUNCIL S.E.I.

Return to “Buzz”