Is it La Nouba independient of the park?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Andres Reynoso

Is it La Nouba independient of the park?

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 8th, 2012, 6:01 pm

In order to plan activities during my visit to Genii Bash...

Someone knows if it's possible to book for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba without visit the Disney Park? I mean, I want to watch the show but no intention to visit the park (neither time nor money) Is it an independient atraction or is inside the park?

thanks
Andres Reynoso

Brad Henderson

Re: Is it La Nouba independient of the park?

Postby Brad Henderson » June 8th, 2012, 6:22 pm

The show is at the Downtown Disney complex. No park admissions required.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 11th, 2012, 11:22 am

Thank you very much Brad.

due to flight schedules I think my only opportunity is to the second show (9:00 pm) I think it ends at 11:00pm and last Lynx 111 bus stops at Disney Downtown Westside Transfer CTR at 10:55

I think I would have use a taxi. Any idea of the rate from Disney to Florida Mall? I listen is a practice to give tip to taxi drivers in Orlando. Is it true? which porcentage?

regards
Andres Reynoso

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2012, 12:27 pm

All service people get tipped in the United States. The general rate is 15%, though some people tip 20% if the service is exceptionally good.

The distance from the convention hotel to Downtown Disney is about 20 minutes. You can call the hotel and ask what a taxi from there to Downtown Disney will cost.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 11th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Thank you Richard, is good to know it

Cultural diferences:
Here in Mexico in restaurants the usual rate is 10%.
Bellboys, tourists guides and theater usher (e.g.) is at will, not rate stipulated.
And nobody uses to give tips in taxis.

I'll will have it in count ;)
Andres Reynoso

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 11th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I've never really "got" tipping a cabbie.

Bar tenders, tip = good service
Restaurant, tip = good service when you return

how often do you get in the same cab? and what "service" do they give above and beyond what you actually pay them for?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Damian, the service you get in a taxi can range from great to crap. Someone who is pleasant, doesn't stink or have a dirty cab, and who puts on the air conditioning without being asked, and who takes the most direct route, is going to get a better tip than a dirty, smelly, nasty bastard who drives you the long way around to hike up the fare.

Not driving 30 miles an hour above the speed limit, and not falling asleep while driving, also count toward a good tip. (And I've had both of these things happen numerous times.)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 11th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Damian, the service you get in a taxi can range from great to crap. Someone who is pleasant, doesn't stink or have a dirty cab, and who puts on the air conditioning without being asked, and who takes the most direct route, is going to get a better tip than a dirty, smelly, nasty bastard who drives you the long way around to hike up the fare.

Not driving 30 miles an hour above the speed limit, and not falling asleep while driving, also count toward a good tip. (And I've had both of these things happen numerous times.)

Yes, but usually the tipping culture is there (as far as I see it as an outsider) to either get good service for the evening (bar) or to get good service when you return (restaurant).

What's the point of tipping someone you will never see again? And how many cabbies would take the long route with someone with a local accent and not get pulled up on his route choice 2 seconds after he made the obvious turn to the long route?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I think you underestimate the devious nature of most taxi drivers in the US.

The point of him giving you good service is because he knows that by providing that, you will tip him.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm

In Mexico the restaurant tip is for good service received, not for future visit.

And well .... taxis ... there are good taxi drivers and there are very bad ones.

Most of times you have to tell the driver where you want to go before board because they don't want to pick you to some places (too far, my schedule ends in 20 minutes, not in my way to my home, I don't know the zone, I don't like the zone)

When they are near massive shows (stadiums, concerts, etc) they ask exorbitant rates (instead the usual taximeter) and say "do you want to go to 10 blocks here? no I don't pick you, I want to go far"

Perhaps for these reasons we not used to tip them.

We consider better (and more expensive) the "site taxis" or base taxis. I'm not sure how to said it in english. the taxis that are parked inline on established places waiting customers and with a usher registering the services, instead than "free taxis" the ones who drive searching for customers.
Andres Reynoso

Return to “Buzz”