Piff - the Russian version

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Timothy Hyde

Piff - the Russian version

Postby Timothy Hyde » May 20th, 2012, 7:00 am

The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

mrgoat

Re: Piff - the Russian version

Postby mrgoat » May 20th, 2012, 9:51 am

Shocking

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 20th, 2012, 10:19 am

Such is fame, I guess, that you have some pathetic Russian wannabe ripping off John van det Put's entire act. My heart goes out to Mr. Piffles.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2012, 12:07 pm

His dragon suit should have been all red.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » May 20th, 2012, 5:06 pm

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » May 20th, 2012, 5:55 pm

How do you say "Fart, The Magic Rip-Off" in Russian?

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » May 20th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Hmm... and here's a Russian Tina Lenert copy.. not quite as blatant as Piff.. but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... G4gk8SAV0#!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Seriously, can someone explain why William Robinson/Chung Ling Soo is celebrated, even considered "glorious", when he stole Ching Ling Foo's act and identity?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 20th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Robinson was certainly not universally celebrated by his peers (pointed negative statements from Maurice Raymond and J.N. Hilliard come to mind). I would certainly never try to defend his ethics, especially where Foo is concerned.

However, there was certainly more to him as a magician/showman/con man than just being a copyist, as Steinmeyer's brilliant biography makes clear.

He was not a good guy, but he was a great magician.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2012, 9:42 am

e*, that sort of apologetics helps keep opinion of our craft down near the gutter.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2012, 10:04 am

Ted M wrote:Seriously, can someone explain why William Robinson/Chung Ling Soo is celebrated, even considered "glorious", when he stole Ching Ling Foo's act and identity?

Perhaps he lived the dream of so many in this craft? He left his job, abandoned his wife, used the law to bully someone out of their own act, pretended to be asian... and died onstage. Most here don't even have the courage to get onstage.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 21st, 2012, 12:43 pm

Piff comments on the copyist:
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/05/2 ... plagiarist
Worth noting: the copyist was Ukrainian, not Russian, and one of the judges called him out the theft.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 21st, 2012, 1:21 pm

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » May 21st, 2012, 1:57 pm

BTW, the jusge that called him out on the theft was Russian magician Kate Medvedeva.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 21st, 2012, 2:30 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:e*, that sort of apologetics helps keep opinion of our craft down near the gutter.

To be clear: I'm am not apologizing for Robinson's behavior whatsoever--Robinson was a BAD person. But to dismiss him only as such is ignoring the point brought up in the original question.

An apt analogy would be to consider the case of Ty Cobb. He was, by all accounts, a reprehensible human being (a racist and a dirty player amongst other things), but he is universally held up as one of the greatest players of all time. To acknowledge both of those points of view does not harm the public perception of baseball in any way.

Once again, I am not diminishing Robinson's sins--I don't admire the guy, and I think what he did was wrong. I was just trying to help answer the question posed in this thread (and to point out how good Steinmeyer's book was).

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 21st, 2012, 3:50 pm

In the case of Ty Cobb, it's a bit easier to separate those personal and professional aspects.

In the case of William Robinson, stealing Foo's magical act and identity were not personal acts. Those were actions taken as a magician. His famous career is built on those very specific actions. He effectively wore Piff's dragon suit for the rest of his life, and he is celebrated for all the amazing dragon magic he did.

Why are those actions seemingly so easily set aside when Robinson is evaluated as a magician?

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » May 21st, 2012, 10:30 pm

Thankyou. I thought it was her!

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 24th, 2012, 11:08 am

John Van Der Put (Piff) was at IMX this week and this was the "hot topic" of the week. He's doing a great job of mocking the other guy with his characteristic dry wit and playing off the whole situation, up to and including having an imposter (Craig Mitchell) in the dragon suit and coming out as "Piff" at the start of his lecture.

Of course it's a bad situation, but he's making the most of it and I'm certain he'll end up on top when it's all over.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 24th, 2012, 11:39 am

Maybe Piff is really a warlock from qarth

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 24th, 2012, 12:44 pm

? blue lips?
or perhaps the saying about the house?

kindly elaborate

Simone M

Postby Simone M » May 24th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Dave V wrote:John Van Der Put (Piff) was at IMX this week and this was the "hot topic" of the week. He's doing a great job of mocking the other guy with his characteristic dry wit and playing off the whole situation, up to and including having an imposter (Craig Mitchell) in the dragon suit and coming out as "Piff" at the start of his lecture.

Of course it's a bad situation, but he's making the most of it and I'm certain he'll end up on top when it's all over.

I think the guy got roundly owned on national television in his own country already (and on youtube), so maybe he got mocked enough, no?

besides, he's a bad magician from an alienated country that didn't even exist 20 years ago, who stole Piff's personality on a cheap talent show, it's not that he's playing in the same league of Piff's is he?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 24th, 2012, 1:58 pm

@jt. The idea of multiple 'clones' roaming about combined with their acquisition of 'the dragons'.

It was a loose connection.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 24th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Thanks, and having just read Bruce Sterling's story Black Swan...

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 24th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Saw the movie. Did not read game of thrones but enjoying the televised version.

And while a digression, I think many magicians might enjoy it. Lot's of plotting and anticipating of other's thinking.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » May 24th, 2012, 5:39 pm

The comparison to Ty Cobb comes apart a bit, in that it's not just about C.L. Soo being a "bad person." Rather, some might say he appropriated the very thing that came to be his source of excellence. By contrast, Ty Cobb's baseball excellence doesn't have a similarly dubious source -- as it might if he had taken "performance enhancing" drugs. Soo *did* enhance his own performance by stealing from another performer. The "bad person" aspect, isolated, shouldn't diminish the assessment of him as a performer.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 24th, 2012, 6:26 pm

With regards to my Ty Cobb analogy--I agree that it isn't perfect, but part of Ty Cobb's game was being "the dirtiest player I ever saw" (per Connie Mack). Flaunting the rules of the game, tripping people, spiking players, etc., contributed to his achievements. In that small sense, there are some slight similarities.

That said, EHO has the better analogy, IMHO: athletes on PED: there are still those who argue they should be in the HOF. (I disagree).

One final thought: maybe the reason CLS is recognized as a great magician (despite his theft) is that he was able to so ably create and sustain his greatest illusion of all: Robinson as Soo.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 25th, 2012, 12:01 am

On another recent thread, people are talking about how much they miss Johnny Carson. Heck, I'm one of them -- I always liked the Tonight Show, long before my interest in magic. Johnny was really good at what he did.

But last year I read a biography of him (the Leamer one), and while I had known that Carson was no saint, I had never realized just how bad of an example of a human being he had been.

The shows are still there, and they haven't changed a bit. Ed Ames and the Tomahawk, the visits from Joan Embry, the monologues are all just as funny. But I can't watch them the same as I used to now.

Return to “Buzz”